Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's to come next? Choose your own !!FUN!!

Caravan
Migrants
Siege
(Semi-)Megabeast
LEAVE TEH DORFS ALONE!!!11

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: Strike the Earth! [Build A Fortress - Round 10][POLL][WAITLISTS]  (Read 57922 times)

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
Re: Strike the Earth! [Build A Fortress - Round 5][POLL is up!]
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2012, 10:10:35 am »

I don't understand the problem, really.
Let's just say that once you build a moat that connects to the volcano invaders won't be able to climb over it.
The volcano is too steep for climbing and no moat will stop flying enemies.

Your proposed setup, Dariush, would need double walls to be build and magma pumped in the middle, which is okay, but this would limit the space right from the start. I like 10ebbor10's plan in the respect that it can be modified and it will give you a bigger project to work on with the option of always upgrading it. Magma can still be pumped into the moat if necessary, so you won't miss out on it. And it will be something to look at, which is always something I'd favor.

You can always build on and around the volcano, go for a giant dorf with glowing eyes that can spit magma or whatever, but just let's go step by step here and see what would be the easiest setup to begin with that will give you the option of building further in the long run. I understand the sentiment of going full magma as soon as possible, that's why you chose the volcano, obviously. You just lack a lot of equipment that would be necessary to make this a safe construction or rather to make your plan work in the first place. If you start building walls and moats, you can always flood them later, maybe build your retractable stairways, and wall the moat off from the other side. I don't really care. But I don't see this discussion leading anywhere right now, since 10ebbor10's plan does NOT contradict yours.

Edit: And it's hard to find something that everyone is okay with, I can also see the problem there. I don't want to push you in a direction, really, just consider that this would be an operation that takes multiple turns and that other players have made suggestions that would expand the usable space outside. You can still put traps indoors, outdoors, everywhere. And if you build a moat it will not damage your underground construction, let's say Donut dug deep enough. Would be really counterproductive otherwise.

DoubeEdit: I'm also on your side, or rather the Dwarven side, although I want to see some action. I decided to leave the villany to other people, in some respect, but you will see about that later :3

TripleEdit: The two weird shapes in the snow are obviously snow angels. How could you not see this?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2012, 10:21:23 am »

Make walls and trenches, fill them in later, see if we can capture and tame some sort of heat-emitting FB or titan to live in our moat and keep the magma hot.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2012, 10:22:38 am »

i vote against playing with magma so soon, and we don't really need an enclosed space on the surface so the wall woul be kind of a waste. i'd suggest we build a tower above the entrance to the underground complex, 3 levels high, with the door on the second floor acessible from a retractable ramp, and with a roof on the top floor to protect from flying dead

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2012, 10:25:38 am »

Roof...
Yeah, let's build a big roof over the courtyard, keep out that unblinking eye known as the sun!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2012, 11:27:31 am »

Roof...
Yeah, let's build a big roof over the courtyard, keep out that unblinking eye known as the sun!
Why make it big when a simpler construction can fit the same purpose?

3 pillboxes around the entrance, nothing more. Pillbox for sustained fire, and a dwarf (I'm looking at you, Daruish) at the door to pin down enemies.

Everyone else just try to poke the enemy using wooden poles behind that meat shield.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2012, 11:37:23 am »

3 pillboxes around the entrance, nothing more. Pillbox for sustained fire, and a dwarf (I'm looking at you, Daruish) at the door to pin down enemies.

Everyone else just try to poke the enemy using wooden poles behind that meat shield.
Veto.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2012, 11:40:34 am »

Roof...
Why make it big when a simpler construction can fit the same purpose?

Aside from Dariush's complaint, that's not dwarfy.
Sig

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2012, 11:43:58 am »

We gots no leathers and 1 marksman with almost no ammos.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2012, 11:58:49 am »

We gots no leathers and 1 marksman with almost no ammos.
Vultures = Ammo. At least easier than making 2 earthwalls then breach the magma tube.
Quiver is only for mobility. Ammo could be just stuck into the earth, and more easily drawn.
And its just odd for the most tanky character to shun away from tank duty. No fortification is actually secure unless we cut ourselves out, and relying on a moat for defense is laughable if it can be climbed/jumped over.

I don't care about dorfiness. As long as it works I would be as likely to import an elven plan as using dorfy methods.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2012, 12:20:59 pm »

Dwarfiness in roofing the whole courtyard. And why would we make a puny trench when we could make a huge, steep moat?
Sig

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2012, 12:23:00 pm »

Dwarfiness in roofing the whole courtyard. And why would we make a puny trench when we could make a huge, steep moat?
With magma.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2012, 12:34:22 pm »

With magma.
Magma optional for now. Maybe if we can get an FB...or two...could we breed FBs?
Sig

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2012, 12:58:10 pm »

Magma optional for now. Maybe if we can get an FB...or two...could we breed FBs?
With magma.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2012, 01:11:43 pm »

My personal opinion is that we wait to dig into the pipe, but we dig out the moat now. We can always do something with it later.

Secondly, we should put some kind of spikes on the other side of the pit so that if something was stupid enough to try and jump it would impale itself then slowly roast.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2012, 01:13:43 pm »

My personal opinion is that we wait to dig into the pipe, but we dig out the moat now. We can always do something with it later.

Secondly, we should put some kind of spikes on the other side of the pit so that if something was stupid enough to try and jump it would impale itself then slowly roast.
Guess what (the first stage of) my plan was. We can always put a compound as a third line of defense in the middle.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27