Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's to come next? Choose your own !!FUN!!

Caravan
Migrants
Siege
(Semi-)Megabeast
LEAVE TEH DORFS ALONE!!!11

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: Strike the Earth! [Build A Fortress - Round 10][POLL][WAITLISTS]  (Read 57915 times)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strike the Earth! [Build A Fortress - Round 5][POLL is up!]
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2012, 05:24:41 am »

Posting to watch.

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2012, 08:17:04 am »

Everyone, start hauling all the crap valuable materials in the supply room.
Donut digs out the rest of the gold, but before that, scream GOLD! GOLD, BITCHES! GOLD! ALMOST AS PURE AS F***ING DWARVEN ALCHOHOL!
Dariush grabs a crowhelmet for himself! It gives him 3 armor! Then he grabs a bite to eat and retires for sleep.
Gobo the Hunter  attempts to butcher bird after designating butcher area outside.  All corpses go outside.  Uses bones to make bolts and crafts.  Feathers menace crafts.
Inod should start the winery working with helmets
Gamur starts planting
Lobram crossbows? mechanisms? chairs&tables?
Datan carve doors?

Donut, Datan and Dariush would be able to get more work done next round. So they could get started on the defense setup. Just make up your mind. Sure you can puncture the pipe, like I said, it's really up to you.

For the retractable stairways you would need mechanisms and I don't see you getting them to work that fast. If you started on a moat and palisade that wouldn't take as long, you could add more to the fortification over time - including magma. You only have one miner right now, so he'd do most of this alone... and even for a dwarf, magma is pretty dangerous. I thought we established that the first miner is the gift for Armok in exchange for delicious magma?  ::) Nah, I would never ever try to kill your precious little dorfs  8)

Thanks to 10ebbor10 for the !!great!! ideas. Got me to watch some beautiful videos and now all of you should fasten your seatbelts. If you give me a map with a rough scheme of the fortifications I'll be happy to let the dwarves build them. But keep in mind, that yes, the llamas need food and for traders a courtyard would probably be suitable, because your entrance is too damn small.

Maybe a few more tips
- Plants will need two turns to grow, I'll give you 2 for 1 seed now. We can see about more yield for more skill later.
  I will let you use fertilizer if you can think of anything to use for that purpose
- Brewing needs water, bus as long as you have outside access you can take snow, I guess. 1 plant for 5 units of alcohol. But you would need more barrels. The seeds technically don't have a container, too.
  How do you feel about being able to build a magmastill later on? This is the only idea I would want to force onto you
- You can burn wood and use it for smelting, for now, you'd have to make coal and I think I'll follow DF rules for simplicity in that matter.
  Or you get the magmaforges up and running, really up to you. Anvil is iron, so it probably won't be safe.
- I don't know what automated mining machines are supposed to be and who would be supposed to construct it. Maybe if you had a legendary mechanic

Just get your shit together if you want to keep the dwarves, is all I'm saying  :-X
Or we would just get a new batch of migrants, soon - so no harm would have been done

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2012, 08:20:17 am »

Why would we need a miner for the palisade?

Also, why didn't Donut find stone alongside gold?

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2012, 08:25:52 am »

Why would we need a miner for the palisade?

Also, why didn't Donut find stone alongside gold?

Donut would have to mine out the moat and puncture the pipe, that's what he would have to do alone.

Quote from: PlutoniumApe
Also I didn't really feel like putting up all the stones, just think you have a lot of them.
I will only limit precious minerals, because as of now time and labor are your most precious resources
and food and booze... and wood... and probably gold... and don't forget about the llamas

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2012, 08:38:17 am »

Uh, I missed that quote. Sorry.

But I didn't offer to dig a moat. I proposed to build a wall. But since we're here anyway, is the ground leading to the volcano flat or does it slope either upwards or downwards?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Strike the Earth! [Build A Fortress - Round 5]
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2012, 09:02:40 am »

Horribly crude paint sketch
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Multi stage plan. The expanse is a bit large, but I wanted to avoid having the lava flow into our sleeping chambers

Stage 1: Simple ditch + Mudwall with pointy sticks combination along the black line
Stage 2: Real pallisade along the green line (Maintain a safe distance from lava)
Stage 3: Construct the towers
Stage 4: Upgrade black line to pallisade+ Green line to stone wall(Magma safe)
Stage 5: Install floodgates to allow lava flooding in case of emergency (both the ditch and the room for the traders.)
Stage 6: Black line from Stone for reuseable magma flooding.

As for extra work. Dariush gets overwatch, ie he has to protect Donut while he digs the ditch and Datan who will Install the spikes.

Edit: Link fixed
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 09:09:28 am by 10ebbor10 »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2012, 09:13:09 am »

And how is that... 'design' supposed to prevent invaders from simply going 1 level up the volcano and then descending inside our defences?

Go magma moat.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2012, 09:15:55 am »

And how is that... 'design' supposed to prevent invaders from simply going 1 level up the volcano and then descending inside our defences?

Go magma moat.
A magma moat can't defend over Z levels either, you know. The magma will overflow below or they can just climb over the volcano. Or they can cut of the magma supply/ overflow us.

But yeah, the problem is valid. We'll need to extend the wall up into the mountainside abit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2012, 09:18:46 am »

we could easily make a moat/pallisade and modify it for lava later.  and a channel up to the volcano is easier then, too.

the moat should be larger than 3tiles wide.  How deep did donuts dig. before ploping down bedrooms?  my fort experience leads me to make a 9-21 sized moat/wall, And a 2tile thick, 2tile deep moat.  Do note that until a bridge goes up we cannot gaurentee safety, only where badies enter.

Speaking of magma Fun, the gas fumes alone would kill humes before we got close to magma.  If not that then the sweltering heat may dehydrate us or even cause burns on our skin without touching us.  F... what you saw in your favorite volcano movie, trees ignite from being near lavas.

3table, 3chair.  then mechs.

could Datan or w.e. extract weed longland grass seed?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 16, 2012, 09:22:06 am »

A magma moat can't defend over Z levels either, you know. The magma will overflow below or they can just climb over the volcano. Or they can cut of the magma supply/ overflow us.
Have you actually seen my proposal? If we create a small 'island', they won't be able to climb inside.
But yeah, the problem is valid. We'll need to extend the wall up into the mountainside abit.
They'll still be able to get in from above. The only solutions would be either to surround the volcano entirely or to simply make a smaller enclosure that doesn't reach the volcano. But any defence plan that doesn't involve magma is elven, so screw that.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2012, 09:26:35 am »

Have you actually seen my proposal? If we create a small 'island', they won't be able to climb inside.
They'll still be able to get in from above. The only solutions would be either to surround the volcano entirely or to simply make a smaller enclosure that doesn't reach the volcano. But any defence plan that doesn't involve magma is elven, so screw that.
Radiated heat is dangerous. Also, the small amount of terrain might be problematic. As for invaders, they can just wait for the magma to cool. (Should take less than a few days in this climate and whitout any supply) and then walk over it. We'll mostly face skeletons and such.

The second thing depends on how climmable the mountain is, and becomes pretty much a nonproblem when we place a tower or other fortification on top of the volcano.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2012, 09:28:07 am »

And,and and... 1chair/table goes to our clerk/broker and we need to put up a rudimentry Trade Depot.  If caravan does pass through...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 16, 2012, 09:47:21 am »

Screw all grandiose schemes.

Nothing, really, beats a fewwell-hidden pillboxes, traps, and a narrow entrance to be actively defended.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2012, 09:49:01 am »

Radiated heat is dangerous. Also, the small amount of terrain might be problematic. As for invaders, they can just wait for the magma to cool. (Should take less than a few days in this climate and whitout any supply) and then walk over it.
I already described what we can do about it. -_- Or, assuming my previous proposal is unsatisfactory, we can simply make a moat of flowing magma that would be then pumped back either into the volcano or back into the moat, in a higher place.
The second thing depends on how climmable the mountain is, and becomes pretty much a nonproblem when we place a tower or other fortification on top of the volcano.
That tower would need to be constantly manned, there's no guarantee that the guards would see all intruders and they won't be able to prevent a strong attack (megabeast or a siege).

Go magma moat.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2012, 09:58:52 am »

Whitout additionall heat, it will still cool down. Pumping it around ain't going to help, nor does restributing the heat. And In order to get additionall magma from the volcano, you'd need to incorporate that thing into your defense island.

Besides, in the event of a siege, a few people men on top a mountain* can stop an army ten times it's size at least, but the moat won't last more than a few days. Any siegers can climb the volcano, and pin down anyone of us who dares get out of the hole. (Magma doesn't stop arrows from flying over). A few days after that, the magma will have cooled down and they can march in unhindered.

* Look at medieval castles, those were usually manned by fewer than 20 people.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27