Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's to come next? Choose your own !!FUN!!

Caravan
Migrants
Siege
(Semi-)Megabeast
LEAVE TEH DORFS ALONE!!!11

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27

Author Topic: Strike the Earth! [Build A Fortress - Round 10][POLL][WAITLISTS]  (Read 57791 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Strike the Earth! [Build A Fortress - Round 8][POLL][WAITLISTS]
« Reply #315 on: September 22, 2012, 10:24:17 am »

We don't have anything to shoot with for now. I doubt PA will allow me to construct a workshop, make a crossbow and several bolts and use them in a single round.

Also, what's the problem with simply removing all weights to open the gate?

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #316 on: September 22, 2012, 10:30:25 am »

We don't have anything to shoot with for now. I doubt PA will allow me to construct a workshop, make a crossbow and several bolts and use them in a single round.

Also, what's the problem with simply removing all weights to open the gate?

you have 125 bone bolts and 24 copper bolts, just saying
are you talking about a bascule bridge, btw? and who needs manual labor if you can just PULL THE LEVER?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 22, 2012, 10:43:17 am »

It doesn't take 7 to hold off moosys and finish moat.  Put llama inside and make crafts for the caravan coming NEXT TURN...

We have 149bolts and a dual weilding axeman who hordes armour.  The undead are stupid.  They'll path around moat (even better, into it)  We cpuld pop shots into it all day.  I suggest we work the llama wool and make stone or wood crafts...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 22, 2012, 11:25:03 am »

It doesn't take 7 to hold off moosys and finish moat.  Put llama inside and make crafts for the caravan coming NEXT TURN...

We have 149bolts and a dual weilding axeman who hordes armour.  The undead are stupid.  They'll path around moat (even better, into it)  We cpuld pop shots into it all day.  I suggest we work the llama wool and make stone or wood crafts...
Unfortunately, undead aren't exactly vulnerable to arrows. But yeah, use some, (25) of the bone arrows on the undead.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 22, 2012, 12:42:27 pm »

those caravan guards look like they can handle the skelmoosemen, but i somehow doubt they get to them before they get to us. have dariush hold the moat breach, and have gobbo lure them and have them chase him towards the caravan

we already have a carpenter shop underground, why do we need one aboveground? and dariush should be busy enough this turn.
creating a wooden shed sounds like more work than simply digging another hole where we can shelter them, and the watch tower should be built atop our entrance for extra defense. inod and datan should instead work on some trade goods, sculpt some fancy mugs out of gold ore.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 22, 2012, 12:49:43 pm »

are you talking about a bascule bridge, btw? and who needs manual labor if you can just PULL THE LEVER?
Dunno what Ebbor was talking about, but I meant a more medieval-like drawbridge:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:51:16 pm by Dariush »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 22, 2012, 01:45:19 pm »

I think Ebbor's idea is more like a Boom barrier.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2012, 02:04:33 pm »

those caravan guards look like they can handle the skelmoosemen, but i somehow doubt they get to them before they get to us. have dariush hold the moat breach, and have gobbo lure them and have them chase him towards the caravan

we already have a carpenter shop underground, why do we need one aboveground? and dariush should be busy enough this turn.
creating a wooden shed sounds like more work than simply digging another hole where we can shelter them, and the watch tower should be built atop our entrance for extra defense. inod and datan should instead work on some trade goods, sculpt some fancy mugs out of gold ore.

I second this, with the exception of stash the llamas inside a bedroom first.

Id put it into a neat row but at gym/on stupid touchscreen.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2012, 02:18:58 pm »

Building the bridge will cost you a little.

The beams will be 1 urist³ of wood each
and every walkable field (urist²) will cost the same.

So in order to fit 3 dwarves or 1 wagon across the bridge, while connecting it to either side of the moat, will add up to 9.
You would also need a rock block for weight (or just take a gold ore block, it's heavier).
I don't know what definite construction you had in mind, but I would come up with my own
Taking into account the functionality you described.

In order to make blocks you'd have to build mason's workshop (I should really start and make each look different - and Gobo had none)

Also 1 mechanism and 1 rope will be needed for the bridge, as well as 2 mechanisms if you want to add a lever.

Quote from:

Summary

3 wood for beams (construction holding the bridge)
9 wood for bridge
1 rock block for weight (mason's workshop needed)
1 mechanism (+2 for lever)
1 rope

I hope that's not too complicated, just pay and I'll do the rest!

The hut for the llamas, being able to facilitate the two of them, would be 6 wood
You could also just dig a room for them and feed them the long land grass
Probably would have to tie them up, but you could make ropes from the wool you just got
pretty ironic  :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 22, 2012, 03:08:14 pm »

Also you can only trade stone if you processed them into blocks first
Does this mean stone crafts aren't available or just that we can't trade raw unlimited stone to the traders for no cost to us?

If the latter, Datan should make stone crafts, yeah.

Inod should make us more cages for the obvious. Unless there's something I'm missing here (skeletal creatures don't get TRAPAVOID, do they?), there is absolutely no reason to be fiddling with bolts and holding the line when we can just snap them all up in cages and strategically display them in our dining halls.

I'm not sure who should actually place the cage traps, since we've got both that and the drawbridge to work on. We do probably have another turn or two to do it in, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

werozzi

• Bay Watcher
  • L'uomo Macchina
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 22, 2012, 03:36:24 pm »

Why so much trouble with the bridge if PA can just draw it?  8)Bad joke!
We need Dariush to distract those moose skeletons in order to allow the caravan to get closer to kill them, thus also giving time for the other guys to finish the moat, the bridge, and improvise some bone crafts.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:08 pm »

I still don't understand why trying to lure the caravan into them is superior to catching them in traps.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2012, 03:52:59 pm »

I still don't understand why trying to lure the caravan into them is superior to catching them in traps.

If you have a setup for traps feel free to give me a rough scheme for them
That means where to put them... and how they are supposed to work.

If you want cage traps that will be no problem, three of them could be installed in one round
It's easier to discuss those matters if you tell me where to put them and what to use for them

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 22, 2012, 04:03:01 pm »

Yeah, just talking about standard cage traps.

As for where exactly they'd go, that might be a bit trickier. Probably on the inside of the wall, presumably in a horizontal line, so that if the skookmen come in single file they'd lose one and if they come in all abreast like they are right now they'll all get caught. Then we withdraw any dwarves so they're not tempted to one specific point and they should just amble right into our clutches.

Uh, would having a row of cage traps like that interfere with bridge installation, or are our dwarves smart enough to avoid them while working?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 23, 2012, 03:09:32 am »

Why so much trouble with the bridge if PA can just draw it?  8)Bad joke!
We need Dariush to distract those moose skeletons in order to allow the caravan to get closer to kill them, thus also giving time for the other guys to finish the moat, the bridge, and improvise some bone crafts.
Ciiiircus no. Veto.

I don't know what definite construction you had in mind, but I would come up with my own
Taking into account the functionality you described.
But I drew an illustration. :(
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27