Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dormitories vs Individual Rooms  (Read 4586 times)

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dormitories vs Individual Rooms
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 06:36:57 pm »

If six dorfs are stuck with a fantasy variety of Sheldon, they'll irritate each other until shit hits the fan.

HA! When I read this I was watching Big Bang Theory XD. To that point, yeah, it seems like dorms are just meant to be used as a temporary solution to immigration rather than a long term solution to housing.

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 06:43:31 pm »

I make largish communal bedrooms, 32 beds plus one each of armor stand, weapon rack, cabinet and chest. The rooms are 11x11, smoothed and engraved. I have 9 tile stockpiles of booze, 9 of prepared meals, a few tables and chairs and the rest is random artifacts lying around. Each bed makes a bedroom that takes up the entire space, dwarves choose their own beds and the tables/chairs are assigned to demands or left unassigned. Two doors per room help prevent traffic jams.

I have a nearby but separate dining area, but even with more chairs than dwarves I had frequent complaints of not enough chairs.

With this setup, dwarves "slept in a bedroom like a personal palace", with or without artifacts. The artifacts seem to make a difference. I put off engraving until I have a legendary engraver, with just one dwarf smoothing a few hallways it doesn't take that long.

Why do I make bedrooms this way?

Easier to dig. Shorter pathing. Vampires. Safe/useful place to store artifacts. If I'm low on wood, first bedroom can start as a dorm.

The lines of beds are hard to see underneath the clutter. Each room has four lines of beds that run N-S, two on the E and two on the W (with a space near the wall where food/booze are stored). The O in each corner is an engraved column.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:47:49 pm by cats »

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 07:02:01 pm »

Some aspects of the individual room are the asthetics.  if you like 3x3 --great, if you want 2x2 go ahead.
If you want something wacky sure why not?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 07:40:44 pm »

If six dorfs are stuck with a fantasy variety of Sheldon, they'll irritate each other until shit hits the fan.

HA! When I read this I was watching Big Bang Theory XD. To that point, yeah, it seems like dorms are just meant to be used as a temporary solution to immigration rather than a long term solution to housing.

Urist McWaitress? Urist McWaitress? URI St McWaitress?
I identify with Sheldon. I'm less vocal, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:27 pm »

I just got back to playing again, and am using a 5x5 room (which will be a farm sooner or later) as a temporary/migrant dorm, while I carve out the individual bedrooms and lavish staterooms for the nobility. It works pretty well for now. However, I'm going to need to make a large migrant dorm eventually if I don't make individual rooms quick enough.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 07:48:04 am »

Some aspects of the individual room are the asthetics.  if you like 3x3 --great, if you want 2x2 go ahead.
If you want something wacky sure why not?

I tend to work with 11x11 (internal-size, easy cursor definition) blocks within 13xx13 (externally evident) block sizes, separated regularly by corridors, and mould the internal plan according.  Fully open for communal areas (with either corner-pillars-only or column/no-column), but internally divided into four (5x5) rooms, six (3x5) rooms or nine (3x3) rooms, with doors(/doorways) accordingly.

Code: (Two layouts) [Select]

'Regular' quarters-block, houses six.
.#############.
.#++++C#c++++#.
.|++++B#B++++|.
.#++++c#C++++#.
.#############.
.#++++C#c++++#.
.|++++B#B++++|.
.#++++c#C++++#.
.#############.
.#++++C#c++++#.
.|++++B#B++++|.
.#++++c#C++++#.
.#############.

This is for normal individuals (and doubly-normal married couples, by extension)
B=Bed, C=Cabinet/chest, c=Chest/cabinet, |=Door, + is area of room.

'Suite' quarters-block, houses *one*.

.#########-###.
.#*+++*#*+++*#.
.#+++++#+++++#.
.#tT+++|+++Tt#.
.#+++++#+++++#.
.#*+++*#*+++*#.
.###-#####-###.
.#*+++*#*+++*#.
.#+++++#+++++#.
.#S++++#++++B#.
.#+++++#+++++#.
.#*+++*#*+++*#.
.#############.

This is for a noble (and any spouse).
B=Bed (defines bedroom) t+T=Throne+Table (defines office or dining room),
S=Sarcophagus of whatever kind, - and  |=doors,
*=usual positions for armour stands and weapon racks and cabinets and chests and whatever else is demanded,
  but I'll also flank the thrones/bed/sarcophagus with statues, if (after all this) our nobilic friend can
  do with a bit more buttering up for whatever reason.

(I've also put 12 1x5 rooms into this space, and you can work out what I do there, without a further diagram.)

Where there's an orientation issue, I often flip, diagonally, between "doors opening E-W" and "doors opening N-S" between adjacent blocks.  Nobilic suites generally have their single entry on a facing wall closest towards the main hub (and symmetrically, usually rotationally, where there's ambiguity).

Normally I leave all walls and floors as natural[1], but smoothed, as I dig out the rooms (in material that I want quarried, and often at least partially to use to make (frexample) marble furniture to put back into one room).  While constructing, one of the rooms may be tasked as a material-specific masonic workshop to blockify/furnitureify the local materials, although usually at the opposite end of the 'block of blocks' from where I'm currently putting people's rooms, and so by the time noise could have become a problem he's produced enough items to make it unnecessary for the foreseeable future.  I may also task various pre-dug rooms as stockpiles for the furniture items, but this has no noise issues (and, after undefining a 'bed-space' spot from being stockpile, can even continue even after actual residence occurs if I'm lazy).

(Yes, I tend to be a bit OCD about this, beyond most practicalities, but it's all easily doable, and not usually my most intensive bit of any 'semi-mega-project' aspect to my fortress design.)

[1] One noble who loved a certain mineral got a nobilic 'sub-penthouse' where I'd actually dug into a huge vein of the stuff and then rewalled (and floored) what bits weren't that material so that they were constructed them in his preferred material, and arranged for every bit of furniture (except for the bed) to be a Masterwork version of that furniture in that given stone.  I know some people think I spoil my nobles, however. ;)
Pages: 1 [2]