Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Community colleges and four year institutions?  (Read 6177 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Community colleges and four year institutions?
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2012, 06:41:26 pm »

The SQL commands themselves aren't too hard. I was talking more about the connecting-C++-programs-to-SQL part. xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2012, 07:03:17 pm »

Skyrunner: SQL YOG Community is your friend. Granted, it won't teach you the exact syntax to do things like CREATE TABLE and what not, since it's all hidden under the GUI. But it can de-mystify the process. And the syntax parsing is GODLY, because it can tell you when something like a , or a ' or a ` is fucking up your whole query.

I just started a job this year that has me working databases, and I've had to learn MYSQL from the ground up. (In fact, go check the RAEG thread wherein I'm losing my shit over.....MYSQL!)

Knowing the job I have now, I regret not taking CS and basic MYSQL courses in college. Learning MYSQL on the job is really, really fucking stressful because of the unknowns in working with people's data. But after about 8 months of trial by fire, I feel like I'm starting to get it. Even if the finer points of JOINs, LEFT JOINs, recasting columns and what not are still kind of beyond me.

Just remember: Backup the tables and/or the database, and everything will be gravy.

As for C++ --> MYSQL, hopefully you have APIs to help with that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 07:06:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2012, 08:10:23 pm »

The SQL commands themselves aren't too hard. I was talking more about the connecting-C++-programs-to-SQL part. xD

Ah, yeah, I remember that being a bit of a pain. If I remember correctly, I found a decent Mysql++ library that made it pretty easy.

Edit: Oh, and you don't need to get the programming link to MySQL working to learn SQL. It's actually pretty helpful to just use a GUI to interface with it and do the SQL separate from the C++ headaches. You want both skills, but until you get both down I wouldn't bother too much linking them until you have a reason to. It's easier that way and you'll learn SQL better if you're not going through an API to use it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:55:13 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2012, 08:57:06 pm »

From the Programmers I've talked to, learning on the job is both necessary and immensely painful. The problems I've heard of are more or less that you either a.) have to build from scratch, or b.) have to build over/around someone else's BS. I'm not sure which is worse, and I suppose it would depend upon not only how good, but how CLEAR of a programmer the prior person was. Half the time, I've been told people don't leave comments on what various segments of their code does and good luck trying to figure it out (especially without causing things to crash).

Do yourself and anyone who has to look at your code a favor: label things. Leave comments, keep two logs, one just for you and one for anyone after you.

As for housing, it's almost always cheaper to live off campus in my experiences. I could get an apartment for the entire year for what they charged students for a dorm room shared with some stranger. Hell, if you're savy enough you can make money renting and subletting a house, but I wouldn't try doing that unless you are VERY familiar with the local real estate and rental market. As a foreigner, you probably shouldn't. Usually, you can't borrow for off campus living (or at least you couldn't) from student loans, but if at all possible you want to avoid those as much as humanly possible anyhow.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2012, 09:01:10 pm »

Yes, most of a programming job is legacy code xD

You know, there's that saying "If your programmer has become indispensable in that only he can update your code, fire him and build the program again from scratch" xD

Comments are very important, and you should have learned that you need to do it in Programming 101 (or 601 in the case of Stanford), but .. yeah.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2012, 11:20:24 am »

Most big companies want a Bachelor's in CS, so that's not possible.

Except:
1)  You don't want to work for a big company in CS. They generally pay less, there's less opportunity for advancement, etc. and whatnot. There are exceptions, but a lot of big companies are not great (for entry level programmers, anyway - getting a senior position seems to be pretty cushy)
2) That's... not really true, in my experience. I know people working at several big companies without degrees.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2012, 03:06:36 pm »

Most big companies want a Bachelor's in CS, so that's not possible.

Except:
1)  You don't want to work for a big company in CS. They generally pay less, there's less opportunity for advancement, etc. and whatnot. There are exceptions, but a lot of big companies are not great (for entry level programmers, anyway - getting a senior position seems to be pretty cushy)
2) That's... not really true, in my experience. I know people working at several big companies without degrees.
Computer science is in reality a theory degree which tells people you know what you are doing but its not better than experience. I know for Blizzard they will pass up a degree if you have more than 3 years of programming experience with proof. In all honesty you might be better to look for another field study. Any CS would know basic programming but i see much more in the Engineering, Networking field than programming.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2012, 07:01:53 am »

Now, there's some enjoyable stuff in Academia and higher-theory jobs in cutting edge research-type facilities (NASA, Robotics labs), that might need a degree... but those would also probably require more than a bachelors. Getting a degree in another field, like engineering, and then getting a masters in computer science wouldn't be a bad idea - it's what most of the successful research-oriented Comp Scis I've met have done. Give you a solid cross discipline background, and the Masters limits itself to teaching you stuff you might actually need to go to University for.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2012, 07:08:34 am »

I don't know what I want to do other than computer-related... D:
Engineering? @_@ Sounds.. alien. What do they do over there? >.>
Also, you can get a master's without the bachelor's degree? :s

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2012, 09:38:29 am »

Masters degrees are available to anyone who's received a bachelors or equivalent - BUT they can be obtained after receiving a bachelors or equivalent in /anything/. One of the best computer scientists I know had a bachelors in... art, I think?

Master's courses are generally much higher quality, much more involved, much more useful, and a masters degree only takes two years as opposed to four (though I think there are people who finish them in one, I'm talking average here, and they may have started taking masters classes before technically going for their masters).

Also, Engineering is hardware, construction, mechanics and fabrication. There are a great many types - computer engineering, for example, or ocean engineering (focuses on engineering tasks dealing with things underwater, my school was the top in the country for it, wooh), or mechanical/electrical as the base division.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:40:20 am by GlyphGryph »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2012, 09:51:50 am »

yea i was still thinking on the lines of computer engineering and networking :P

someone needs to make my next new router.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2012, 10:33:01 am »

I wonder if I can get a degree in Martial Arts? :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2012, 10:43:08 am »

You can, Bachelors and Masters. Unfortunately, you cannot become a Doctor of Martial Arts, to my knowledge.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2012, 11:07:58 am »

You can, Bachelors and Masters. Unfortunately, you cannot become a Doctor of Martial Arts, to my knowledge.
Well i can see Max becoming the next Akisame Kōetsuji for me.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2012, 11:15:12 am »

I don't know what I want to do other than computer-related... D:
Engineering? @_@ Sounds.. alien. What do they do over there? >.>
Also, you can get a master's without the bachelor's degree? :s

You should serious play around with all sorts of stuff. There are tons of interesting and/or high paying jobs that use computers, and the ability to program can be helpful or necessary depending on what you do.

Things you should try out:

1) Application Programming. C++/Java/etc. Doesn't have to be too fancy, but work on making programs that do stuff. Can be games, utilities, whatever.
2) Systems Admin. Get a cheap computer and play around with installing Linux on it and getting stuff up and running. Install strange and arcane software to see how well you like it. Lots of good jobs in Sys Admin, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.
3) AI programming. Lots of cool stuff you can do with this, although most of the money and jobs are in academia right now. Not all of them, since there are companies who utilize AI to solve other problems. But it's a fun thing to play around with regardless.
4) Robotics. Much easier to get into these days then it used to be. A neat field that melds programming and electrical/mechanical engineering.

And keep in mind that there is a very good chance that you'll end up doing something a bit different than you expected. Once you get out of school and get a job, things tend to progress rather organically.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6