Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rock Salt Trade Goods for the LOLZ  (Read 2568 times)

Terror_Incognito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rock Salt Trade Goods for the LOLZ
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:04:21 am »

I feel like I'm wasting forum space, but i just had to say that Rock Salt trade goods give me the giggles, at least from a role playing perspective.

First bit of rain or river crossing - BAM!!! Goodbye thousands of Dwarfbucks of profit.

Gosh Darn it! I just LOVE Dwarf Fortress!!!

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Salt Trade Goods for the LOLZ
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:07:46 am »

I sell lead goblets to elves. Try living forever with lead poisoning you hippy bastards.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 02:18:09 am »

I sell lead EVERYTHING to elves. Goblets, crafts, weapons, armor, pots, ammo, statues...

(I've made some minor raw modifications.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:52:52 am »

I always sell 'em rock mechanisms. Bastards won't understand its concept anyway.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 04:59:48 am »

Oo, I have a good one in Swampconstruct:
The exit from my trapdoor pit is via a chamber that has exposed pitchblende walls and a pitchblende bridge for floor. Naturally, the chamber has a second layer of outer walls and a roof made of lead bars.
"So, you survived the fall and the weapon traps? Good luck trying to have kids though..."

Being Wrong Genre Savvy, I always try to keep any pitchblende or lead as far away from my dorfs as dwarvenly possible, ideally turning them into trade goods for the hippieselves or humans.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
  • McMagma, Fortress Addict.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 07:09:25 am »

what? do lead really poison dwarves?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:13:15 am »

what? do lead really poison dwarves?
No, but we like to think it does.

Just like how pitchblende is a purple rock that does nothing in-game. Still, though, purple! Purple is always worth it.
My wooden badge was delicious.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 08:19:02 am »

Oo, I have a good one in Swampconstruct:
The exit from my trapdoor pit is via a chamber that has exposed pitchblende walls and a pitchblende bridge for floor. Naturally, the chamber has a second layer of outer walls and a roof made of lead bars.
"So, you survived the fall and the weapon traps? Good luck trying to have kids though..."

Being Wrong Genre Savvy, I always try to keep any pitchblende or lead as far away from my dorfs as dwarvenly possible, ideally turning them into trade goods for the hippieselves or humans.

But, doesn't marble and granite have a higher radioactive output than pitchblende?  Imaging the radon levels in your standard marble or granite fortress!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

aoxoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 08:26:40 am »

LOL OP, I actually quick read, and kind of thought you were saying rock salt goods melted in the rain in DF lol. I read up it on wiki and then laughed at my stupidity.

I was gonna say "I always have my finished goods stockpile for mugs, or whatever im selling, in a place 1 z level below, where the rain couldn't hit and in bins so never knew they melted".

But its all good, I read your post :D

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:41:11 am »

LOL OP, I actually quick read, and kind of thought you were saying rock salt goods melted in the rain in DF lol. I read up it on wiki and then laughed at my stupidity.

I was gonna say "I always have my finished goods stockpile for mugs, or whatever im selling, in a place 1 z level below, where the rain couldn't hit and in bins so never knew they melted".

But its all good, I read your post :D

Yeah we probably won't get that until DF 0.68 or so, when atomic structures are fully modeled along with realistic chemical reactions.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:26:23 am »

I've done this many times :D

regarding pitchblende, one of my dwarves had (she was killed by goblins) this as a favored material.  I should have renamed her to Marie Curie.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 10:58:59 am »

I sll them rags stained with pus and vomit. It makes them static.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 12:55:49 pm »

I always sell 'em rock mechanisms. Bastards won't understand its concept anyway.
This is a dangerous weapon you are giving the elves. It only takes one dabbling mechanic to begin building magma pumps...

Anywho I just give the elves all of my rope reed for all of their stuff, works out nicely.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 01:05:05 pm »

So, Bay12 has evolved from bathing elves in magma to giving them slow, painful deaths via lead poisoning.

I'm actually not sure if that's more or less sadistic. :-\

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 01:05:48 pm »

I sell lead goblets to elves. Try living forever with lead poisoning you hippy bastards.
Oh boy that one got me
Pages: [1] 2