Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oh, Apple, you so crazy.  (Read 1508 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Oh, Apple, you so crazy.
« on: September 09, 2012, 11:58:28 pm »

THOUSANDS of students in an east China city are being forced to work at a Foxconn plant after classes were suspended at the beginning of the new semester, it has been revealed.

Students from Huai'an in Jiangsu Province were driven to a factory in the city run by Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Company after the plant couldn't find sufficient workers for the production of Apple's much-anticipated iPhone 5, they said in online posts.

A student majoring in computing at the Huaiyin Institute of Technology said 200 students from her school had been driven to the factory.

They started work on the production line last Thursday and were being paid 1,550 yuan (US$243.97) a month for working six days a week, she said.

But they had to pay hundreds of yuan for food and accommodation, she said in an online post under the name of mengniuIQ84.

Several other students from at least five colleges backed up what she said, saying they were being forced to work for 12 hours a day.

Badly disrupted

A Jiangsu Institute of Finance and Economy student called Youyoyu said students from departments of law, English and management were all working at the plant.

A Huai'an University student posting under the name of Dalingzhuimengnan said Foxconn was badly in need of 10,000 workers but students were looking forward to returning to classrooms to continue their academic studies which had been seriously disrupted.

MengniuIQ84 wrote that the authorities had ordered the schools to send students to assist Foxconn but said that the factory neither informed parents nor signed agreements with students.

One or two schools had canceled their internship programs with Foxcon after media exposure and pressure from the public, she said, but her institute had no plans to do so and had even punished students who had tried to leave the factory.

Fear of revenge

Yu Fangqiang, executive director of Nanjing-based Tianxiagong, a non-government organization focusing on policy advocacy regarding social issues, said he wanted to help students take legal action against their schools.

But some refused for fear of schools taking revenge by not allowing them to graduate, he said.

According to a China National Radio report, teachers from local schools admitted suspending routine classes over the next one or two months. They said the internships were a compulsory course for students to "experience working conditions and promote individual ability," the report said.

The Huai'an Education Bureau said they were aware such programs ran during the summer break but did not know that schools had continued them into the new semester.

An official, who refused to be named, said it was a common practice to send students to renowned companies and factories, something that served the enterprises and expanded students' horizons, he said.

"It's hard for students to find jobs which are precisely related to their majors. Therefore, they are encouraged to go to factories to learn more about society," he said.

However, Wu Dong, a lawyer, said the practice violated higher education laws and labor laws and the schools, education and labor rights authorities and Foxconn could be sued.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=511136
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Oh, Apple, you so crazy.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:15:09 am »

Cruel and unusual industrial.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:16:01 am »

Oh no, I'm waiting for confirmation on this one, not with what happened with the last egregious Foxconn abuse story.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 12:24:58 am »

Oh no, I'm waiting for confirmation on this one, not with what happened with the last egregious Foxconn abuse story.
I didn't hear about that one- tell us more?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:34:59 am »

I didn't hear about that one- tell us more?
NPR actually retracted a whole story on Foxconn abuses.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:46:00 am »

Capitalism wins again

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:46:33 am »

A very popular podcast by This American Life about Foxconn horror stories was partially retracted. Reading up on it, it sounds more like "journalism as usual" than outrageous fabrication.

The more interesting question is why everyone associates Foxconn with Apple - Acer, Dell, hp, Microsoft, Motorola, Nintendo, Nokia, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba are good customers too.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:59:25 am »

Reading up on it, it sounds more like "journalism as usual" than outrageous fabrication.

No, he outright lied about many many things.  Journalists shouldn't do that even at their worst, and usually only bend the truth in stupid ways as par. 

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 01:27:59 am »

I find it a little amusing how in America there's so many complaints about not having jobs and not being able to find paid internships or even any internships at all, and in China they're forcibly shipping students out to jobs and calling them internships to expand their horizons.

That said, America's minimum wage is probably much, much kinder compared to China's minimum wage. America's also surprisingly free compared to the majority of people living in the majority of the world, despite how often people like to exclaim about tyranny and oppression and having no freedom here.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 01:33:43 am »

despite how often people like to exclaim about tyranny and oppression and having no freedom here.

Because laws that coerce people into not coercing others takes their freedoms away, and one's freedom to harm others is more important than someone's freedom from harm.

See:  Any argument against regulation of any form.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 01:55:59 am »

I find it a little amusing how in America there's so many complaints about not having jobs and not being able to find paid internships or even any internships at all, and in China they're forcibly shipping students out to jobs and calling them internships to expand their horizons.

That said, America's minimum wage is probably much, much kinder compared to China's minimum wage. America's also surprisingly free compared to the majority of people living in the majority of the world, despite how often people like to exclaim about tyranny and oppression and having no freedom here.
In America there actually is a problem where you go to "internships", and they use you as labor (and the kind of labor that won't actually teach you any skills or help you in your life at all), except they don't pay you as all.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 02:00:23 am »

Your "payment" is getting actually hired later. Assuming you actually get hired.

Not disgusting at all. Nope.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 02:55:20 am »

Your "payment" is getting actually hired later. Assuming you actually get hired.

Not disgusting at all. Nope.

As he mentioned above, since a lot of unpaid interns are basically used to do gruntwork and not taught anything, you probably won't be competitive with someone who has training.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 03:00:20 am »

If it helps, the director at my school outright said that if our internships ever go the way of 'serving coffee and cleaning the bathrooms' then we should inform him immediately so he can lay the smackdown.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 04:57:34 am »

*dons sceptipecles*

I won't quite believe this yet.

Also, some interns are pretty good and pay you too, like this one programming intern I saw on the internets which sadly I can't apply for in the future, due to a lack of a permanent work permit...

It's kinda like free Nexon cash promotions, strangely. Some are outrageously cheaty, others are pretty decent and actually do give what they advertise.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: [1] 2