Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Above Ground Forts  (Read 905 times)

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Above Ground Forts
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:18:30 pm »

Do you make above ground forts? If so how? I've been trying to make a few of these for the past few days and I find that housing and taking care of uninvited guests plus the yearly shipment of Goblinite to be the hardest parts to deal with.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
Re: Above Ground Forts
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:25:14 pm »

It might be easier to build a wall around your entire fort or something like that.
Or have towers that can only be accessed from below ground as the above ground component of your fort.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:26:36 pm »

If I embark on a plains with no mountainsides to carve into I'll make a castle like building with a barracks and stuff. Also I'll build most of my mega-projects outside, but I never build 100% of my fort outside. So I guess I can't really answer your question, not sure why I'm typing this, but I'm too far to quit now so i'll post this.

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:35:10 pm »

My latest fort was built on a half prairie, half mountain Biome. The Prairie had an aquifer so I used that for a well, and I dug out the Mountain for stone. Ended up with a really cool looking industrial building in the middle of the map with multiple floors for rooms on the top. But it was a mission, designating stuff was such a mission and it took forever to build. Still, I got three masons to Legendary on the blocks alone XD.

I'm thinking if I want to build the main part of my fort above ground I will have to use dormitories for my rooms instead.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:45:53 pm »

My above ground forts are a lot like my underground ones. Most of the immigrants are put on "masonry duty". I still have a standard dwarven trap hall around the only ground level entrance. A vast amount of blocks need to be created to make a sizable fortress above ground.

Here's a tip. Designate the corner parts of your walls to be made first so that your dwarves don't make a mess that will require you to disassemble a wall segment to fix.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:54:24 pm »

Here's a tip. Designate the corner parts of your walls to be made first so that your dwarves don't make a mess that will require you to disassemble a wall segment to fix.

How do you deal with the fatigue of making so many rooms though? I find making ten houses to be fun, but when I have to get to fifty... one hundred... two hundred... It is just such a huge pain! I hate doing that underground! It's even worse above ground IMO.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 10:10:08 pm »

How do you deal with the fatigue of making so many rooms though? I find making ten houses to be fun, but when I have to get to fifty... one hundred... two hundred... It is just such a huge pain! I hate doing that underground! It's even worse above ground IMO.

In general with stuff like bedrooms, dining room space, burial receptacles of various sorts... What I do is a sort of 125% system. Meaning, I make what I need for now, plus extra -- usually a quarter or so more, estimate -- so that when the next migrant wave shows up I have a head start and can throw up some extra rooms, have extra militia uniforms, whatever, and not have to do it all at once, either when they show up or before.

Given that building houses, or even bunkhouses, may go slower aboveground than what the migrants flood in, though, I'm not sure that'll work for you. But it's an idea.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.