Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie Question and Story  (Read 1005 times)

adam35413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newbie Question and Story
« on: September 09, 2012, 07:40:31 pm »

Questions:

1. I tried to equip an iron shield I got from a corpse on my first quest, but I cannot figure out how.  I tried going to remove my current shield, but when I hit 'r' my shield and weapon are not options to remove.  How do you equip new weapon/shields?

2. Whats a good path of progress?   I see the 'go to town, ask for quest, go to quest, kill mob' path.  I am curious what other paths people have taken.

Story:
I stumbled upon a herd of random animals in a forest (assortment of cats, chickens, cows, etc.), and thought it would be interesting to kill the cows for meat.  Turns out, the entire pack was aligned, and I ended up with 10 cats in my face.  FYI, you can be single-shot mortal wounded by a cat.

DSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Question and Story
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 07:48:42 pm »

Hit 'd' to drop the weapon or shield, then pick up the new one. :)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:04:54 pm »

The animals were members of a civilisation.

I just do as you do for path.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:05:23 pm »

Welcome to Adventure Mode! As you have seen, attacking tame animals while nobody is looking means exactly the same as killing the human lawgiver of that civilization.

You can grab assorted weapons and shields and, when they're in your backpack, try to remove them and you'll have them in your hands. Rumor has it that, in this way, you can enhance your protection by carrying a lot of shields. Try and see what happens.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:44:37 pm »

1. The important principle here is that Remove, does not meen un-equip. It means, remove from current container/location, which will result in the object being in your hands. So to switch shields, either Drop the old one, or Put it in your pack. Then Remove the one you want to use. It's not very intuitive, but it makes sense. :D

3. Well, all the stuff you'd be sent to fight is already in the world, so you can travel and find it yourself. You don't need the quests. You could also go be a hunter and such for a while, RP it if you want. It's a good way of rasiing stats in an enviorment that's a bit more controled than gate crashing a bandit camp in a town's sewer.

Built in goals and social interactiosn are very limited i the current release. Quite a bit of stuff is due to be added to Adventure mode in the next release.

There are a few mods that might open non-violent career paths. like be a leather worker, make or buy lether, sew it into clothing, and sell it shop for food money.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:33:31 pm »

Never EVER drop a shield. You can have as many shields equipped and defending you as you can lift. When (r)emoving, remove the shield you don't have equipped. That was you will equip it and the one you are wearing now. Then when fighting each shield will individually block attacks. Shields, are, as I see it, the natural progression of your armor class as an outcome of fighting--kill 10 goblins with shields, equip all shields: boom! 10x more armored.

Also never attack mixed animal packs, obviously brought together by being tame. A pack of wolves and only wolves (or dingos or whatever) is what you want for training.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?