Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Good Old Games  (Read 8368 times)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
Good Old Games
« on: September 09, 2012, 06:26:03 pm »

Now since the original thread was dead, I decided to make a new one. basically, it is a DRM free download site where you can buy older games. The main site is here http://www.gog.com/

Now a quick question, does GOG take discover cards?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Good Old Games
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:36:31 pm »

Nm

I checked and they don't seem that dead One I saw last post was last month
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:38:28 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:39:14 pm »

I noticed them, didn't think either of them were still being  posted in.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:47:13 pm »

People post when they post really, if I have a really mundane question I would rather necro then make a new thread for example: how do I group togeather 6 units under 1 key in sins of a solar empire

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:50:08 pm »

Eh sorry I want sure of the right thing to do, so i made a new thread.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 07:02:53 pm »

... Not this argument again.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 07:04:17 pm »

need to say sorry haha, it's here now so might as well as use it.

I really wish sim earth and quite a few other RTS games would come out on GoG :(

And argument ? I'm not arguing with anyone :P

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 07:06:46 pm »

I would say argument, he was in the right, I just didn't know what t do, and anyways I may dig up a copy of sim earth one of these days, wherever it is...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 07:48:47 pm »

So anyway, GOG. Pretty cool site, starts you with a couple free games and doesn't afraid of any sort of slowness on getting somegames on there.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 09:03:58 pm »

The free games count is up to about 7 now, I think.  It's a pretty awesome site, really, especially since they started releasing games more frequently.  Also, apparently they've got some really great games coming in the fall.  They've already released King of Dragon Pass and Legend of Grimrock, though, so topping those will take some doing. :)

And yeah, they'd rather get things on their right than just put them up and let customers sort it out on their own *coughlikeGamersgatecough*.  Unfortunately that means Carmaggedon has been stuck in testing limbo for several months, they just can't get it working on a couple of their test computers.

The other thing that's great is that a lot of the games use DosBox or ScummVM, so I can play those on my tablet and my Linux box as well as my PC.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 09:25:24 pm »

Well, it's over ten posts, so I guess the thread is somewhat valid. Forums are like that.

I'm going to have to jump onto GOG and do a buying run. 5-10 years ago it was called abandonware. With the caveat being, it was piracy, there just wasn't anywhere to buy the games from. I'm glad that the classics are still considered to be worth something, regardless.

I still play a few of the games, so they've obviously got value to a gameplayer. I wouldn't mind a legit copy of a few old strategy games that are damn hard to find. Hell, I've had to pirate some of them because the box is sitting under the house, the 3-1/4 inch floppies or cds aren't working, but I still want to load them up from time to time. At least I've got an entertainment budget after 15 years of playing them now.

(ps: go for the SNES version of SimEarth. It's not as good as the PC or Mac version, but there's a SNES emulator for EVERY platform. I've even played it on my crappy old nokia e63. And it is considered free/abandonware by Maxis.)
It's a game. Have fun.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 09:29:35 pm »

It still is called abandonware. Theres just GOG contacting the remaining people to see if they can sell Ye Olde Good Old Games again, and Abandonia being content with pointing to GOG for those games instead.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 10:06:15 pm »

That's it basically. If GOG thinks there's a market for it, and can get the license to sell it off the people involved in the IP/copyright/trademark, then they'll grab it. To make a profit obviously, but that's not a bad thing. If the games still have value, and they're still marketable as products, I think it's good.

This isn't a forum to discuss the rights of abandonware (and especially not piracy in any form), my last post was more-so to say that I'm glad that some classics still have value to the game-playing community at large. It's even a funny case on the whole Euro-zone reselling of used software without "total company approval", considering many of the GOG's games companies went bust many years ago.

I don't actually see why a AAA company wouldn't ask GOG for their sales details and do remake's based on this. There's so many games that are dying for a part 2, or even just a new-technology revamp, but it hasn't been done. Or they've done a re-imagination which is horribly flawed or simply abused the IP (and copyrights) to keep them on their roster for later. It'd save R&D costs on what WOULD sell, considering these games still do sell, yet are behind in the technology and game-play (current gamer's wants) spectrum by ten years in many cases.

I know I'd love to see a new SimEarth for instance. It'd be amazing these days, but the original is still good for it's sheer "there is no other game like this" value.
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 10:32:15 pm »

Just as a question. How does GOG gain selling/reselling rights to a game where the company that developed it, and even sometimes the company that published it and distributed it, went bust?

Is it simply contacting the people that were involved in making it? Those involved in publishing or distributing it? The legacy companies of these things? Is GOG itself a legacy company of sorts? Is it an IP/trademark/copyright concern?

I was just wondering how these games became marketable by GOG. They obviously have value, they're definately saleable, but I was wondering how it gets done legally as a commercial enterpise. Is it merely a matter of having a software seller's or re-seller's license?

The ability or inability to re-sell software as a legal concern falls apart considering the fact it is currently being done legally, profitably, and with both the market's and end-users' appreciation that there is an outlet for it. Regardless of IP/copyright/trademark concerns. They're doing it quite well too.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:38:10 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:58:51 pm »

du...dungeon keeper?...
*cry all his body-water out, and when he runs out of body-water, cry all his blood out*

I MIZZED YOU ZO MUUUUUCH!! BUU-HUUU-HUUUUU *snif*
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5