Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Zones  (Read 1966 times)

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Zones
« on: September 09, 2012, 04:30:58 pm »

I have an idea for some new zones that would reduce some of the game's tediousness and give the player more control.

1. Tree Farm - In this zone trees would be cut down by your woodcutters when they reach maturity.
2. Greenhouse - Similar to tree farm in this zone any plants that grow are automatically collected by your herbalists.
3. Hunting Ground - Works the same as the existing fishing zone but for hunters instead.
4. Clear Ground - In this area dwarves would automatically clear any grass, plants, trees, and saplings from the ground useful for both dirt roads and for keeping parts of you fortress built in the dirt layers clear of obstructions.

Tell me how you feel about these and offer any other new zone ideas.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: New Zones
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 04:43:09 pm »

1: Heck, I'd mark most of the map with this if it was available. Agree.
2: Same.
3: Sounds reasonable.
4: Sounds like a helpful idea.

Maybe add some zones for collecting items from; they'd be placed in the nearest stockpile or garbage dump. Call it #5, Clean Zone
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 05:12:06 pm »

Agreed.  The zone system is astonishingly powerful, once you get the hang of it (PASTURES IS WHERE THE HEART IS)

Theres a lot of nuance there i'm still trying to figure out.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:38:19 pm »

Good ideas, bit hesitant about the hunting ground part though, since it's a bit more random than the others whether huntable game would actually enter and stay in the zone unless you make it really large and just blanket most of the outside area. Some more control over hunters would be nice though.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:56:54 pm »

I'd actually even make all the zone options available for every single zone. Many of these have overlapping usefulness. Agriculture ought to function with zones too instead of "built" plots.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:12:13 pm »

Rooms could also be based on zones. It would be a lot less anonoying to have beds auto moved to zones than having to place each one separately. Especially if you  could combo dining/throne/bed into one apartment space.

dominusnovus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 09:19:02 pm »

Rooms could also be based on zones. It would be a lot less anonoying to have beds auto moved to zones than having to place each one separately. Especially if you  could combo dining/throne/bed into one apartment space.

Or, with a little more detail, room templates, kinda like a combination of burrows and zones.  Designate a new template of 'basic bedroom', for example, with 1 bed (any type), 1 coffer (any type), 1 cabinet (any type).  Or a 'noble bedroom', wich 1 bed (masterpiece), 2 coffers (masterpiece, obsidian), 2 cabinets (masterpiece, obsidian).  Etc. etc.

Then, just plop where needed.  Of course, the dwarves will put the furniture in ugly locations, but oh well.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 09:25:32 pm »

I'd actually even make all the zone options available for every single zone. Many of these have overlapping usefulness. Agriculture ought to function with zones too instead of "built" plots.
You mean like you can do now?

Or, with a little more detail, room templates, kinda like a combination of burrows and zones.  Designate a new template of 'basic bedroom', for example, with 1 bed (any type), 1 coffer (any type), 1 cabinet (any type).  Or a 'noble bedroom', wich 1 bed (masterpiece), 2 coffers (masterpiece, obsidian), 2 cabinets (masterpiece, obsidian).  Etc. etc.

Then, just plop where needed.  Of course, the dwarves will put the furniture in ugly locations, but oh well.

Maybe set up zones where dwarves can pay rent and buy and install their own furniture?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 10:44:25 pm »

Not designation boxes, GWG.
Permanent zones that act like you're automatically re-designating the area for tree cutting and plant gathering every time something grows there.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 06:30:28 am »

Not designation boxes, GWG.
Permanent zones that act like you're automatically re-designating the area for tree cutting and plant gathering every time something grows there.
I know. I would probably set most of the map as that.
Sig

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 10:49:55 pm »

I would really like this, and personally, I would like dwarves putting furniture in "ugly" places, it looks more like the dwarves are actually living, rather than being stuffed into identical bedroom tubes.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

telarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 02:37:03 pm »

I like the idea, my biggest concern is the current 31x31 tile limit for zones. I would really like to see the zone and burrow interface combined so that you can define an area(burrow) of any size spanning any number of levels, and then assign various zone activities to that area similar to how zones work now. However, expanding with the zone functions you have listed would be incredibly helpful. Adding an option to stockpiles to "Gather from Zone" would also be another expansion to zone functionality that I would like to see.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 04:42:00 pm »

That does sound useful.
Sig

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 09:09:41 am »

These all sound like good ideas

Regarding the Tree Farm zone proposal, the zone should also automatically mark all saplings in the zone as restricted movement tiles (maybe with an option to turn this effect on or off).
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 03:19:48 pm »

Low traffic should be enough.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2