Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deep metal  (Read 2447 times)

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deep metal
« on: September 09, 2012, 02:45:25 pm »

I embarked on a 4x4 with 3 different biomes all of them with only deep metal. And while I haven't revealed the whole map I have just hit the magma sea and the only metal I've seen is the good blue stuff.
Does the site finder count this when listing metals present? or do I have 3 small veins of regular metal hidden on the edge of my map somewhere?
Just checking so I know whether I have to look for multiple metals next time I embark.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Deep metal
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 02:51:36 pm »

The "metals" might be, with sufficient (bad) luck, veins of non-ore stone.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:09:21 pm »

I had a similar problem, but with deep metals.  I found lots of zinc, but nothing else.  Decided to give this df hack a go, and found that there are in fact some tetrahedrite veins "somewhere".

I suggest using the dfhack prospect tool to just settle the question, then you can make decisions accordingly.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:38:32 pm by thiosk »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:30:36 pm »

Incorrect - if the site finder says there's metal then it means there is metal ore, since other minerals don't count; if you embark on a region that says it has no metal, you'll still find plenty of other minerals and gems.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:29:51 pm »

Incorrect - if the site finder says there's metal then it means there is metal ore, since other minerals don't count; if you embark on a region that says it has no metal, you'll still find plenty of other minerals and gems.
Really? I was misinformed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:43:58 am »

I haven't experienced it myself, but it is possible for that "deep metal" to be a couple of horn silver clusters in some obscure location... which would be very difficult to find without dfhack's reveal.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 05:41:39 am »

Have you dug exploratory shafts in different locations, and on different depths?
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 04:23:16 pm »

I haven't experienced it myself, but it is possible for that "deep metal" to be a couple of horn silver clusters in some obscure location... which would be very difficult to find without dfhack's reveal.
Horn silver only occurs within native silver, which occurs as large veins. Bismuthinite, on the other hand...
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 03:55:02 am »

Horn silver only occurs within native silver, which occurs as large veins. Bismuthinite, on the other hand...
And native platinum..? Or is that in in veins as well?
Oh well. It's all useless to dwarves.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 10:10:33 am »

Native platinum shows up as veins within Magnetite and as small clusters within Olivine (though it's supposed to show up as veins within Olivine and only as small clusters within Chromite, which also occurs as veins within Olivine). Native Aluminum shows up in small clusters, but it'll never be a "deep" metal because it only occurs within igneous extrusive stone (which, by definition, is always at the surface).