I'm non-American, and I like #2.
- 2 (4.8%)
I'm American, and I like #1.
- 16 (38.1%)
I'm American, and I like #2.
- 6 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mock game covers, need votes :3  (Read 3985 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Mock game covers, need votes :3
« on: September 09, 2012, 01:19:36 pm »

Please read this before you vote! (just in case).  This is an assignment for my video game class.  I had to create two mock game covers for my non-existent video game and then get votes from folks about which they like better.  I also had to test for non-American vs American tastes.  So everyone gets one vote, and please make sure to choose the appropriate response depending on where you live.

Most of the art on these things were blatantly stolen from elsewhere (especially the screenshots).  The vehicle was made by me though :3

Spoiler: Cover #1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cover #2 (click to show/hide)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mock game covers, need votes :3
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 01:22:23 pm »

I know this isn't your choice, but I really don't get the "American" vs. "Non-American" distinction, as if those are two meaningful categories, as if every English-speaking country on the planet but the US is exactly the same or the US is somehow special.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:24:38 pm »

It's a marketing thing, and was part of the assignment.  During product testing, people from different countries sometimes prefer different covers and no one is sure why.  That's why some games end up with different covers or names from country to country.  I do think it's a bit weird too.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 01:25:24 pm »

I think it's like how there are 2 different covers for NTSC and PAL version of game covers. Just my thought on the matter.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 01:28:43 pm »

Didn't Cracked do an article on US covers vs rest-of-the-world covers once?

IIRC correctly, the main difference was in the quantity of guns.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:43:10 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:31:53 pm »

Voted #1, although I don't really like the hovercraft thingie. A bit too cartoonie imo.

edit:
Most of the art on these things were blatantly stolen from elsewhere (especially the screenshots).  The vehicle was made by me though :3

FML

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 01:33:20 pm »

In this instance though, not much difference because the first one is clearly better. Even though the hovercar looks like it's drifting around an invisible corner on invisible wheels.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 01:34:41 pm »

Lol it's fine XD  It's from my 2nd Maya class ever, so it's not going to be industry quality.  There's probably five other things I'd have to do to it that I won't even learn about until maybe six months down the road  :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 02:01:12 pm »

It's a marketing thing, and was part of the assignment.  During product testing, people from different countries sometimes prefer different covers and no one is sure why.  That's why some games end up with different covers or names from country to country.  I do think it's a bit weird too.

Oh, I get that. I just don't get why the distinction is "America" vs. "everywhere else".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 02:06:37 pm »

1st as thw 2nd comes across as terrible, too much negative and vehicle is wrong direction.

They reall are  too different for question to work unless you are rigging it. Better no 2 would be a variation on no 1.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 02:18:52 pm »

Oh, I get that. I just don't get why the distinction is "America" vs. "everywhere else".
Well... the teacher wanted us to specifically have an American version and then a European version, but I know not everyone here is European and that would just prevent a lot of people from voting.  So I'll just say "yeah the uh 'Europeans' on this one website voted for this one.'"  Of course... it looks like everyone likes #1.  I was afraid of that, I didn't have as much time to polish up #2.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 02:27:16 pm »

* kaijyuu actually likes #2 better

Mostly due to the color balance. Content wise I kinda think they're both boring :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 02:40:34 pm »

I actually also like number 2. It's not as polished, but I like the colors and overall look a lot more.

Number 1 reminds me of those silly PS1 or old PC game covers. However, the back side of the cover fits better with number 1.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 02:50:35 pm »

The first one is much better for several reasons:
  • It's alot brighter and more open than the second
  • It has alot more of a sense of speed which when advertising a racing game is important
  • It's got more interesting visuals
  • It gives a much better impression of the setting
  • It's compositionaly better than two as two's main focus is the beam of light while the ship is tucked into the left side courner, One on the other hand has much better composition with the main focus being the player's ship and a secondary focus of the background image

I'm European btw.

Edit: and after reading some of the other responses I feel I should mention I don't like the colour balance in two
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:06:06 pm by Jerick »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 02:59:04 pm »

'Murrican here. I like the color balance in number 2 more than number 1. The ship really needs a texture of some kind, but otherwise, they're both ok.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: [1] 2