Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Virtual Teleportation- a theory  (Read 512 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Virtual Teleportation- a theory
« on: September 09, 2012, 11:23:04 am »

Well I recently was tasked with making a megabeast/wizard thing and one of the ideas that popped into my head was to make it able to teleport. Unfortunately as every modder knows there is no teleport interaction. So I set out to imagine the best way to create one using the current state of the system and its rules.

Basically what I came up with revolves around the implementation of [DIE_WHEN_VERMIN_BITE] in conjunction with an interaction with extreme range that causes the target to transform into the "teleporting" creature. The overall effect of this plan would be to have an interaction that simultaneously kills the user and transforms a random creature on the map into a copy of itself, thus giving the illusion that it simply disappeared and appeared right next to your legendary armorsmith and proceeded to mess shit up. There are of course problems with this, mainly I don't know if the DIE_WHEN_VERMIN_BITE tag is applicable to interactions or just attacks and if successful this would result in a creature that could sustain horrid injuries, and then just "teleport" and have a fully healed functioning version replace it somewhere else as opposed to it simply going somewhere else with its wounds.

So, thoughts?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Virtual Teleportation- a theory
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:04:13 pm »

Well, for starters, DIE_WHEN_VERMIN_BITE is only applicable to vermin, which can't really do anything else interesting, so that's out.  And anything involving transformations is going to be really buggy unless it's something more-or-less standard.  For instance, your idea could be useful if you want to make a creature that can TELEFRAG, having it transform into a creature that instantly boils away at the same time it turns another creature into a copy of itself (as if it teleported itself INTO the other creature, killing them)... but it could only do so once, since a transformed creature can't transform into something else.

That aside, you can use my teleport interaction if you want it, it's only convincing for short hops but it looks and functions good in both fortress and adventure.  It's basically just a speed-boost combined with a tile change.  The only problem being the occasional attack message spam if the creature attacks someone while in teleport mode (but the attacks won't do much, since its strength is reduced to nil while teleporting).

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:TELEPORT_MW]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
  [SYN_NAME:Teleporting]
  [CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:10000:START:0:END:20]
  [CE_DISPLAY_TILE:TILE:250:7:0:1:START:0:END:20]
  [CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:0:0:TOUGHNESS:10000:0:START:0:END:20]