Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wiz war  (Read 2187 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Wiz war
« on: September 09, 2012, 11:22:29 am »

So I have been looking at buying wiz war for a while now ( the newest version ) and it seems really fun but still debating, could someone post some of their experiences with it ? And how in depth in the spell system ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wiz war
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 01:11:43 pm »

The board game, or is there a pc version I am not aware of?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:15:11 pm »

The board game :p

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 01:25:49 pm »

I think it's worth it. It's only the first set of cards because FF likes expansions. It is different from the original but not too different. Low end number cards have been merged with spell cards, which makes the hand size limit more feasible. The hand size is optional, as are many other things. There are currently 6 major "schools" of spells that are just categorical versions of the original. There are no controllable monsters, but things are worded to interact with them so they must be coming up.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:27:20 pm by BigD145 »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 01:26:51 pm »

Could you describe a game you have had like the funniest elements ? And how many cards are there to play with ?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:35:23 pm »

It can devolve into a "this guy is hurt so let's all gang up on him" sort of thing but the original was a last man standing so this is fairly predictable in most games but not all.

My all time favorite kill in a game was a combination of the stone that lets you cast through walls and doors, create a door or wall card, and lightning bolt. Lightning bolts bounce a number spaces equal to its spell power. The setup is to line yourself up so that you have yourself, another wizard, and a wall. You cast a wall between yourself and the wizard, making the new setup yourself, wall, other wiz, wall. You cast lightning bolt on the other side of the wall and charge it with enough energy to bounce back and forth and kill the other wizard. They have no clue you have these cards in your hand so they assume you're going to hurt them badly and they can retaliate since you are right next to them.

I've had someone suicide this way, trying to kill me. It was hilarious and sad because I survived with some counter spells of my own and I didn't get the kill on him (you have to directly kill a wizard to collect their piece as a trophy and score a point [2 points or last man standing being win conditions]). I had cast a curse on them forcing them to take damage when they drew cards and they decided to suicide and attempt to kill me as well.

Big Man form (or maybe it's stone form) is also fun because if I remember right you can still cast all spells. You also push people. You can cast a rose bush and push them into it. That sort of thing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 01:39:39 pm »

Game specifics: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/104710/wiz-war-eighth-edition

154 cards? That sounds right.

Some more basics:
You normally play 3 schools and everyone draws from those.
You can play all schools in one big deck or 3 schools for each pair of players (using all 6 schools), 4 being the limit right now.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:42:06 pm by BigD145 »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 01:40:03 pm »

Haha sounds good :D do can spells be combined with eachover ?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 01:43:03 pm »

Haha sounds good :D do can spells be combined with eachover ?

Yes, I think some schools have something like that. There is one that lets you add a second number card to one spell, 1 number card being normal limit. A number of spells simply have more than one way of being used.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:44:49 pm by BigD145 »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 01:47:17 pm »

So quite alot of cards can be used in more than one way, is this limited ? Of can you e really inventive win the spells you have ?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 01:55:35 pm »

So quite alot of cards can be used in more than one way, is this limited ? Of can you e really inventive win the spells you have ?

They're all very straightforward. It's the changes on the boards that dictate how they're used.

Example: Dust Cloud.
The spell is permanent as long as it's maintained by the wizard. It makes a cloud of dust on one space. Going into that dust cloud costs no movement, but leaving it involves rolling a die to see which random direction you come out. If you hit a wall you just bounce back into the dust cloud and it costs you movement.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 02:55:42 pm »

I have the game but moved only a little while after getting it so I haven't been able to play it much. One thing is that you need to play a few games for the game to start going faster. The rules aren't particularly well-written so you'll find yourself going back to them often in the first games. What makes it worse is that they aren't very good for reference either. Plus, you'll need to read all the cards until you get to know them. Some of them have a fair bit of text, so it slows down the game further!

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 06:44:37 pm »

I haven't played the 2012 version, but another options is to go to boardgamegeek.com and check out the files sections under Wiz war. From there you can print off every card ever made including the fan made expansions. I printed them onto labels and then stuck them onto playing cards. I now have about 5x the number of basic cards and it really keeps the game fresh having so many expansions. It also still looks OK.

Downside is it is a lot of printing and sticking.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 06:49:22 pm »

Hmm I did not know that :D thanks I will do that when I get the 2012 version will make game last much longer with more cards.

Also out of interst I'm still wanting to hear about people best experiences with the game :)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 07:02:39 pm »

I don't know if there are any fan made expansions for the 2012 version. Since the rules have changed I don't know if the older cards are compatible so that might not be possible.
Pages: [1] 2