Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pandemics- could this work?  (Read 822 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pandemics- could this work?
« on: September 09, 2012, 04:30:55 am »

Tirion cancels Sleep: Taken by Mood
Tirion has claimed a Computer

Hello! I was thinking about diseases. Specifically, about how syndromes make them possible, but their only sources are so far syndrome-emitting creatures, mainly Forgotten Beasts and evil weather. Then I realized something: interactions can be used to transmit syndromes too.

Example: (using, either vampire or werecurse framework) instead of any transformations or bloodsucking or fancy [NOT_LIVING] tokens, the poor fool just learns a syndrome that he'll keep "using" regardless of his will, such as [UNDIRECTED_GAS] or UNDIRECTED_VAPOR].

Example: deity curses Urist to sneeze and spread the common cold for 10 years. Urist sneezes at Vabok, who has X probability to develop a fever of Y seriousness.
Improved example: deity curses Urist to sneeze and spread the common cold for 10 years. Urist sneezes at Vabok, who has X probability to develop a fever of Y seriousness, and starts sneezing too. Maybe it can be done like the vampire's blood or werebeast's bite example. If those are tracked during worldgen, it would be awesome.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Pandemics- could this work?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 04:32:47 am »

So they will be sneezing out syndromes, in this case fevers, might work.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 05:07:23 am »

I don't think curses of that sort would work in worldgen. In fortress mode however, they'd work just fine, although you would have to use something else than a deity curse being the source. Make diseased vermin that bite and spread the disease? Malaria for mosquitoes, plague for rats and so on.

The current limits of syndrome-originating diseases are not much but I'm sure something can be done to make this project work decent before we get more ailments in the game.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 05:12:00 am »

I don't think curses of that sort would work in worldgen. In fortress mode however, they'd work just fine, although you would have to use something else than a deity curse being the source. Make diseased vermin that bite and spread the disease? Malaria for mosquitoes, plague for rats and so on.

The current limits of syndrome-originating diseases are not much but I'm sure something can be done to make this project work decent before we get more ailments in the game.
Plague... that would just be instant death. Making cats totally epic. Catsplosion good for something.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 05:17:05 am »

At least it'd be better contained than your normal FB-originating deadly diseases that seem to jump from dorf to dorf in half a second when the opportunity presents itself. Although now I can't remember if plague spread easily from person to person, or if it was only carried by rodents. At least it should be possible to make it possible for the victim to be able to infect others as well, I think. Does pus count for spreading disease?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 05:18:19 am »

I think so...

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 10:36:59 am »

Curses spread with bites in worldgen. I just found a dwarf in legends who got bitten by a goblin werebeast and it was transmitted to him.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 10:39:21 am »

The best way to simulate a plague/disease for me was to give them a "spell" with USAGE_HINT:GREETING.

To go even further, you can invent a plant with a harmless syndrome with [SYN_CLASS:DISEASE_IMMUNITY], and then slap [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:DISEASE_IMMUNITY] on that fancy disease interaction of yours.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 02:19:46 pm »

Although now I can't remember if plague spread easily from person to person, or if it was only carried by rodents.
The bubonic plague (which is what most people think of when they say "plauge") traveled through the fleas (who just happened to live on rats since the rats were immune). As such if somebody caught the plague and still had the fleas on them, then the fleas could jump to a new host and spread the plague more.

Also it's nice to see that we finally have a method for diseases that doesn't involve infinitely long recursive tokens. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 02:22:52 pm »

The best way to simulate a plague/disease for me was to give them a "spell" with USAGE_HINT:GREETING.

To go even further, you can invent a plant with a harmless syndrome with [SYN_CLASS:DISEASE_IMMUNITY], and then slap [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:DISEASE_IMMUNITY] on that fancy disease interaction of yours.

Yeah, like this. I have this for the SCP mod--SCP-008 and SCP-016 are both diseases that are preventable through SCP-500.