Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weaponizing Thralls  (Read 2026 times)

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Weaponizing Thralls
« on: September 08, 2012, 11:08:43 pm »

What is keeping us from using thralls as weapons?
I have done science on how to make a thrall army the ultimate pleasure.
The thralls gained skills and are near invincible.
A many local werecreatures have died to my thralls.

I have made a list of things you guys need to do to weaponize thralls:

1. Capture Thrall
2. Uncage thrall in a Lava airlock
3. Run Thrall through Lava Shower
4. Re-cage Thrall
5. Unleash Thrall on Enemy Army
6. re-cage Thrall

Disclaimer: Thralls may eat dwarfs.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing Thralls
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:19:22 pm »

So, unleash !!thrall!! on army, then recage? I think you are ignoring a few facts here, mainly
1. there is no place where you would have just 1 thrall.
2. capturing flaming thralls could be dangerous.
3. If a thrall is small, entirely possible they'll just kill it. Not very hard to bisect a bunny.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 11:24:23 pm »

So, unleash !!thrall!! on army, then recage? I think you are ignoring a few facts here, mainly
1. there is no place where you would have just 1 thrall.
2. capturing flaming thralls could be dangerous.
3. If a thrall is small, entirely possible they'll just kill it. Not very hard to bisect a bunny.

"1. there is no place where you would have just 1 thrall."
Just Sell excess caged thralls to the elves.
 point is to have 10-20 caged thralls.

"2. capturing flaming thralls could be dangerous."
you the Cat trap method to capture the group of flaming thralls

"3. If a thrall is small, entirely possible they'll just kill it. Not very hard to bisect a bunny."
Two words, Thrall Bears
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 12:03:00 am »

Considering that thralls are able to conquer the infinite legions of hell, I do not think it would be wise to attempt to weaponize them. They're already terrifyingly powerful.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 12:11:28 am »

Safest way i can think of would be to put the thralls in a pit, under a retracting bridge. Kinda defeats the Fun aspect, but as an execution method it would be quite nice.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:10:41 am »

"1. there is no place where you would have just 1 thrall."
Just Sell excess caged thralls to the elves.
 point is to have 10-20 caged thralls.
Can't sell caged enemies, all you'll end up doing is moving the cage and unleashing flaming thralls on your fort.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:31:21 am »

Can't sell caged enemies, all you'll end up doing is moving the cage and unleashing flaming thralls on your fort.
Pretty sure that's been fixed by now.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 04:03:07 am »

I see no danger in this method, as long as you lock your dwatves inside until the thralls are safely caged again.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 04:22:56 am »

What you've suggested is definitely doable if you use nether-cap cages. Otherwise the cages will heat up and dwarves won't touch them. There's a chance that the burning thralls will just stand in place, burning forever, though. I noticed normal zombies do that, so it's something to watch out for. I'd try the magma on a single thrall, with a cave-in set up above it in case it won't move, before going full-scale.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 05:13:11 am »

Yeah, burning creatures sometimes can't path out of hot tiles because all nearby tiles are too hot.
As for weaponizing thralls, that's redundant. You see, in places where you can get them they're the only problem you face. And, given the WEEKLY is the only frequency token for clouds, you get a lot of husks.
Edit: well if they get [opposed_to_life] but no [not_living] and thus being hostile to each other, it may be of some use to enthrall single axelord and leave him outside. While this wouldn't make aboveground safe (rather foolish desire in evil biomes), it'll at least keep their numbers at bay.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:21:16 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:02:54 am »

Yeah, burning creatures sometimes can't path out of hot tiles because all nearby tiles are too hot.
As for weaponizing thralls, that's redundant. You see, in places where you can get them they're the only problem you face. And, given the WEEKLY is the only frequency token for clouds, you get a lot of husks.
Edit: well if they get [opposed_to_life] but no [not_living] and thus being hostile to each other, it may be of some use to enthrall single axelord and leave him outside. While this wouldn't make aboveground safe (rather foolish desire in evil biomes), it'll at least keep their numbers at bay.

then burn everything down outside so they really cant get a hot tile.
Then let the flaming Husks free.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 11:11:56 am »

1: Capture Husk.

2: (optional) Train the husk in a danger room until the thing is capable to scare a god.

3: Put the thing in a restraint somewhere in the map. Invaders will foolishly try to kill it , while your dwarfs will just be scared a bit.

You can surround the chained husk with bridges to prevent job cancelations. When enemies arrive, lower the bridges and let them try
to kill the thing.

And of course, you can do this with multiple husk all aorund the map.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:53:40 am by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 11:20:23 am »

Flaming husks generate their own heat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 01:02:30 pm »

Flaming husks generate their own heat.

Okay, them lets remove the flaming part and lets train them up by letting them kill off spare cats in a *Catsplosion*