Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Self-Contained Fortresses  (Read 752 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Self-Contained Fortresses
« on: September 08, 2012, 08:11:04 pm »

I was trying to figure out something earlier, which was "What would be the smallest possible self-containing fort"?

I had some basic ideas laid out for a fort like this, and while it wasn't a "truly" self containing fort, it only had one heavily guarded entrance.

This was in case of emergencies, and was, while not 100 tantrum proof, was pretty safe to use.

The door system was floodgates, where a wagon-path sized airlock was on the top level, far right of the layout. Twin sets of floodgates could be opened or closed independently.

The second area was the trade depot. A single floodgate connected it to the main fort.

All of the control levers were in a room that could only be accessed when two other levers were pulled, in different parts of the fort.

Other than that, the fortress had a large farm plot (the flooding was difficult, so I think this model would require soil somewhere unless you set up a farm in the caverns), a hospital, a jail, a bookkeeper's office, housing, a brewery (which could easily run afoul- if the dwarves ate the seedable plants, well...) and room to expand downward. I hadn't placed anything else, but a dining hall and tombs were planned.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Contained Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 08:22:16 pm »

Hypothetically? One tile of farm, one tile of food stockpile, one tile of well. Throw in at least one plump helmet and a single dwarf, set the farm to grow plump helmets year-round, and you're good.

Were east or vampires can be stuck into a one-tile room and forgotten.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:24:05 pm »

Here's my vault version. I tried to avoid minimalism and stick in as many industries as possible (gives them something to do + they need clothes or they will all go crazy):

This link is relevant every now and then
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 08:49:19 pm »

The OP asked what the smallest possible SCF was.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 08:54:17 pm »

Yeah, but if you don't have clothes then they'll go insane and fail to reproduce. You need a bit of room at least.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 09:01:33 pm »

Smallest possible that would house at least the starting 7 safely and happy-enough-to-not-rampage, I mean.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:29:05 pm »

I once made what I called a resort fort, where all the work was done by a 'staff' of vampires sealed away in a separate fort that was linked to the main fort by chutes. They'd grow all the food, cook, mine out ores and forge furniture/armor/weapons, and manufacture clothes and other items, while everyone else was more or less permanently idle, with the only work being to go on active military duty for a few months of the year.

That was back when vampires were more common, though. Since the change, I haven't even seen a single one in fort mode, and at least one is required to infect a well with their blood to spread it.