Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capturing the Giant Sponges: GS ≈Science≈ Thread  (Read 1831 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Capturing the Giant Sponges: GS ≈Science≈ Thread
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:28:15 pm »

It was a toss-up between Ńing an old thread or making an unnecessary new one. In the end, option two won.

So, have we ever devised an effective and tested giant sponge capturing method? Previous threads are full of disagreement and not much experimental science. I need to know the best method. Here's why I ask.

Four giant sponges. With luck, the river doesn't freeze in my location, because four giant sponges. They are in different parts of the river: one is against a shoreline (but it only goes two tiles before turning and the sponge is not in the corner), one is one tile diagonally away from a shoreline corner, and the other two are in the open river. So, we have a few questions.

1. How do catch?
Submerged cage traps could work, but how do you move an immobile creature without getting murdered? Some people suggested gravity. Do cage traps prevent airdrowning? I sure hope so. A method that works from below is preferred, as anything requiring a shoreline only gives me a 25% net sponge gain.

2. How do use?
Can we safely chain a giant sponge? Can they break chains despite being immobile? Can we even train them (NO_THOUGHT)?! My best use for them would be to keep them in an "aquarium" that can be easily refilled. When goblins arrive, a lever (better yet: auto pressure plate, except then kobolds are home free) opens floodgates leading to the main hallway, flooding it (as other floodgates or bridges have sealed it off - are bridges watertight when raised?) and leaving the giant sponges to clean up the rest (amphibious mounts, assuming they're hostile to wild animals or that sponges are trainable).

In fact, using them raises many further questions. For instance, how do we get the goblins to fight them? Well, let's say the aquarium has 1x1 pastures for the sponges in it. Below it is a floodgate for easy sponge caging and subsequent aquarium draining (for maintenance, etc.). This way, we can periodically cage and remove the sponges for animal training, so that invaders don't ignore them and instead try fighting them (and fail).

Of course, the cage-pit-trap-thing should be bigger than 1x1, so that a sponge dodging away won't be unrecoverable. Here's my basic diagram:
Entrance hallway, (S) stands for Sealing Mechanism
Code: [Select]
╔═══╦(S)╦═══╗
║≈≈≈X+++X≈≈≈║
║≈S≈X+++X≈S≈║
║≈≈≈X+++X≈≈≈║
║≈S≈X+++X≈S≈║
║≈≈≈X+++X≈≈≈║
╚═══╩(S)╩═══╝
The sealing mechanism and floodgates are hooked up to the same lever, flooding the area with slightly shallower (but not lethally shallow and still drownable for land creatures). The larger the aquarium is compared to the entrance hallway, the better. Of course, after all the water drains out again (grates after the sealing mechanism hooked up to the caverns maybe, or even better leading to an underground mud greenspace), the overall level will be diminished, requiring more filling up. A reservoir one level up could prevent these issues and maintain 7/7 water throughout.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Because I've got four giant sponges to catch and you could too!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:31:16 pm by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing the Giant Sponges: GS ≈Science≈ Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:41:59 pm »

Suggestion?
Get to work and report!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 07:43:17 pm »

Where in the river are the sponges? Screenshot?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:46:06 pm »

See if giant sponges can be killed by Bisected by a sword (Chopped in half)
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 07:51:00 pm »

Why are you worried about sponges dodging or being chained/not chained. They can't move, right? So none of that matters.

(This being DF though, I wouldn't be completely surprised if immobile things can still dodge)
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 07:54:57 pm »

See if giant sponges can be killed by Bisected by a sword (Chopped in half)

The upper body is an indivisible unit.
Why are you worried about sponges dodging or being chained/not chained. They can't move, right? So none of that matters.

(This being DF though, I wouldn't be completely surprised if immobile things can still dodge)

Not only can they dodge they can attack.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 08:38:23 pm »

Where in the river are the sponges? Screenshot?
Spoiler: Large-ish image (click to show/hide)

Even if they were perfectly immobile (which they aren't, because they can actually dodge across tiles despite being blobs of sponge), they could still be pushed around by waterflow and attacks, like how bronze colossi can punch dwarves across twenty tiles.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:41:30 pm by GoombaGeek »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 08:56:11 pm »

My mind is a bit cloudy atm, but is it possible to find a way to place a trap on the z-level below, and then ramp out the section beneath them? If the flow of water pushed them, it might be able to force them onto a cage trap. Even if they're trapimmune, they'd probably be briefly stunned by the fall, and thus get caught anyway.

edit: ooh, they're in the river. That will make for an interesting de-swamping project, if you want to recover the cages... Or wait til winter, assuming you're in an appropriate biome.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:02:16 pm »

My mind is a bit cloudy atm, but is it possible to find a way to place a trap on the z-level below, and then ramp out the section beneath them? If the flow of water pushed them, it might be able to force them onto a cage trap. Even if they're trapimmune, they'd probably be briefly stunned by the fall, and thus get caught anyway.

edit: ooh, they're in the river. That will make for an interesting de-swamping project, if you want to recover the cages... Or wait til winter, assuming you're in an appropriate biome.
I found some nice schematics in the trap thread:
Code: [Select]
Side View
▓≈≈≈≈S≈≈▓
    ┼X▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓B▓▓▓
▓▓▓^^^^^┼
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
(thanks i2amroy)

However, the issue on how to weaponize them is still, well, an issue. If they're trainable then that'll be much easier, but I have a sneaking suspicion that [NO_THOUGHT] prevents that. I might have to do some modding in this case.

EDIT: I've looked at the raws and I can verify that giant sponges are as susceptible to traps as an untrained goblin ambush.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:04:06 pm by GoombaGeek »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 09:16:14 pm »

Give them TRAINABLE in the region raws and look at Sphalerite's old sea serpent farm thread.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 09:40:13 pm »

Well, when we're into modding, anything's possible!

I've added [TRAINABLE] to get over the hassle of training/having untrained giant sponges, but remember that they're still [IMMOBILE]. Luckily, there's a recent thread about immobility that still allows reproduction, which would come in handy for a giant sponge ranch. I just like doing things like this in vanilla because it feels more challenging to work around the game's limitations.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 11:21:34 pm »

So, immobility does not prevent sex? Finally, A solution for nerds and couch potatoes the world over.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 06:11:49 am »

Post a save with sponges and you'll get more of experimental science.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science