Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Most dangerous creatures?  (Read 18463 times)

The Axiom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Most dangerous creatures?
« on: September 08, 2012, 04:12:01 pm »

A friend asked the question (completely unrelated to DF but hey) and it got me wondering. In your opinion what is the single most dangerous and fear inducing creature in the current build of DF?

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: The Most dangerous creatures?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:22:30 pm »

A friend asked the question (completely unrelated to DF but hey) and it got me wondering. In your opinion what is the single most dangerous and fear inducing creature in the current build of DF?

Were-Hoary Marmots....
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 04:25:54 pm »

Dwarves.

Followed by thralls, inorganic clowns with syndromes, inorganic titans and FBs with syndromes, bogeymen, inorganic clowns, inorganic titans and FBs, bronze colossi, dragons, organic titans and FBs with syndromes, necromancers, most other megabeasts in some order, goblins, giant badgers, semimegabeasts, elephants and other massive animals, badger men vampires, badgers, hooved animals, thieving birds, etc, in roughly that order. I probably left some out, but that's the general idea.

Zombies were left out on purpose--the zombifier is the dangerous bit.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 04:39:54 pm »

Crundles.

Search it up on the urban dictionary.
I'll leave this ocean of brain magma for you...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 04:42:55 pm »

Whichever;
  • Is most numerous
  • Is most horrific
  • Flies
  • All of the above
  • Ravens

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 04:47:38 pm »

I personally hate things with hooves, crundles, fliers in general.

Hooves - Speaks for itself.
Crundles - They KEEP CLOGGING MY DAMN CAGE TRAPS. I Set those up for real animals, not an annoying bitey pieces of toothy taintskin.
Fliers -  They'll either flat murderize your people or suck away FOS worse than an army of land animals with thier pathing when they come in groups of 5 or bigger.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 05:22:24 pm »

I hate hooves! Had a were-camel take out a few dozen workers before my axe lord, who was 10 tiles away, could get to him.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 05:40:17 pm »

edit: Oy!  I was just editing and it posted!  Must have hit a hot-key combo...

Whichever;
  • Is most numerous Possibly fluffy wamblers
  • Is most horrific Possibly fluffy wamblers
  • Flies Something fluffy wamblers are famous for doing (aided)
  • All of the above So, yes...
  • Ravens No, it must be bunnies! fluffy wamblers!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:43:32 pm by Starver »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:41:10 pm »

A murderous ghost that you cannot memorialize for some reason. It'll just periodically kill off your dwarves and there's nothing you can do about it until the ghost dies of old age.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 06:18:45 pm »

Murderous, immemoriable, vampiric or necromantic ghosts. My list contains more common foes, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 06:30:39 pm »

Hooves themselves aren't actually lethal, contrary to what you might expect. Giving dwarves hooves, for example, doesn't make them any deadlier than their non-hooved counterparts in melee combat. What cows, horses, yaks and camels have going for them is their size. A cow, in case you've never looked, is exactly ten times the weight of a dwarf. Assuming the average human body weight to be roughly (very roughly) around 150 lbs, and a dwarf to be 6/7 the weight of a human, what this comes out to is a 1300 pound cow. This is actually a lot more than real-life cows, which weigh anywhere from 600 to 1000 pounds. Dwarf Fortress cows are huge.

With that in mind, I'd say whatever's biggest.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 06:32:12 pm »

Moist hooved animals are big. The hooves sure don't hurt, though. They're hard, that's gotta count for something.
Sig

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 06:38:06 pm »

Try cloning cows and removing the hooves from one, and running a few arena tests where the two types fight each other. Hooved cows won't have much of an advantage. I actually ran this test myself, and was surprised with the results.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 07:01:52 pm »

Giant badger thralls, giant capybara Thralls,

BEWARE THE UNDEAD SPONGE! IT IS TRULY UNSTOPABLE!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 07:21:11 pm »

Even cat thralls are scary.

Not the least because they still carry the thrallifying stuff on their hide...[shudder]
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7