Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Most dangerous creatures?  (Read 18452 times)

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Most dangerous creatures?
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2012, 01:12:12 pm »

how about adamantium unilosses.
1. Adamantine
2. Adamantine makes for weak creatures. An adamantine colossus can be punched to death by creatures many times smaller than itself, sadly.
Yeah. You'd do better to make a creature out of slade and give it adamantine teeth and claws.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2012, 10:40:28 pm »

this one

never seen a deadly dust cloud that big : O

also it's made of rhyolite and the dust causes nearly instant bloodsplosions

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2012, 11:16:03 pm »

Cave in that big underground is bound to cause gibsplosions :P

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2012, 11:40:41 pm »

no it's an FB, that's the cloud it breathed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2012, 12:02:48 am »

no it's an FB, that's the cloud it breathed.

Holy crap that's huge

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 12:25:48 am »

I'll have to put my vote with the guy who said "Dwarves". You can lure a zombie into a trap, kill a clown with steel spikes, or pepper a web-shooting FB with arrows, but there's not much you can do when the tantrum spiral starts.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 12:31:01 am »

I'll have to put my vote with the guy who said "Dwarves". You can lure a zombie into a trap, kill a clown with steel spikes, or pepper a web-shooting FB with arrows, but there's not much you can do when the tantrum spiral starts.
I disagree. The quickest solution is Prompt use of force, with a eye to kill as many dwarves classified unhappy or worse as quiclkly as possible. This prevents It from spreading. (sorry, been reading too many SPCs)

No, But I still disagree. It is possible to isolate any and all upset dwarves in booths with food and booze as soon as they are calm. This should prevent them from hurting themselves, and should maximize amount of tiem alive and possiblity of survival. Time alive is valauble because it prevents them from adding further negative thoughts to related dwarves who are dealing with other problems, and minimize time spent miserable, leading to a smaller risk of Insanity events.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 12:39:36 am »

I'm gonna go with skeletal horses or skeletal camels. They have the speed to chase down any humanoid, the hooves to crush their bones, and the all-consuming bloodlust to hunt down every last man, woman, or child that comes within their rotting gaze.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2012, 12:53:04 am »

I disagree. The quickest solution is Prompt use of force, with a eye to kill as many dwarves classified unhappy or worse as quiclkly as possible. This prevents It from spreading. (sorry, been reading too many SPCs)

No, But I still disagree. It is possible to isolate any and all upset dwarves in booths with food and booze as soon as they are calm. This should prevent them from hurting themselves, and should maximize amount of tiem alive and possiblity of survival. Time alive is valauble because it prevents them from adding further negative thoughts to related dwarves who are dealing with other problems, and minimize time spent miserable, leading to a smaller risk of Insanity events.

We should instead look at it liek this.

Dwarves are the most dangerous for a variety of reasons
- They can and will build things for stupid reason.
- When sufficently agitated they enter a martial trance and turn into an embodiment of "Go fuck yourselves!" as they begin killing everything around them that isn't friendly.
- They're stupid enough to weaponize ANYTHING. Or die in the attempt.
- They'll provoke wars for fun.
- They can bounce back from things that would leave a human being emotionally shattered.
- You can chop thier leg and an arm off, pop out thier guts and damage thier skull and they'll be fine with some stiches, dressings, and a crutch.
- In relation to item 1, they may build something incredibly pointless with the express intent of killing things with it.
- They'll maul friends and family if they see Urist McNobody die.
- Can become so frightening some FBs will hesitate to attack the fortress.
- Instead of ostricizing or killing vampires, they'll drill them to perfection skill wise and unleash them on thier foes.
- If it exists, they'll figure out a way to either kill it or weaponize it.

And above all, dwarves have us, the players, The Jesters of Armok and his guiding hand, leading them. This reason alone can be considered why they're the most dangerous thing in Dwarf Fortress.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 12:54:39 am »

giant capybara Thralls

Like they weren't smug enough already.

People think elves are condescending but they don't even compare to capybaras.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2012, 12:55:22 am »

The flying thief that disrespects me every embark.  By hauling off my wood stockpile, wheelbarrel but leaves the 20 logs.

The elk bird, that comes up my downward shaft, while my hunter is outside the fort birdwatching.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2012, 01:26:49 am »

After extensive studying of all individuals in DF, I have come to the surmise that the most dangerous creatures in the vanilla game, Are dwarven Merchants.

You may be thinking "dafuq?", and I can assure you, It is a reasoable thought, bu not prpoerly expressed.

Why Them? Well,, first off, they are involved in a phenomena known as "loyalty cascade". The sheer destructiveness involved means that his is obvously dangerous. Since it requires effort on the part of the player, this is not enough.

Dwarven merchants bring all sorts of danger associated with merchants. They attract Goblin sieges, Are often the reason for production of "migrant attracting garbage", and Can single-handedly lead to more danger to a fort then any particular siege, as Forts will be forced to design a method to let them in. This oftem involves leaving a opening open, the dangers of which are nigh iuncountable.

But, Finally, they do a damage that is beyond repair, FPS. The very act of items being on the map, as well as pathing and such, will eventually wear down a fort. Moreover, this defeats the argument in opposing Merchants, namely killing them, since the items wil remain. Metal items will remain even if you pour magma on them.  Moreover, their deaths for any reason will add a number of none trading-related items.

However, the final affect is far more sinister then is obvious. The number of Items Actually permanantly decreases FPS.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2012, 02:37:34 am »

Top Ten Terrifying Beasts, according to Sus:

1) Giant sponge, some of the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
2) Husks
3) Zomie Apocalypse!
4) Bronze Colossus
5) "The Forgotten Beast Atu Terrorpants has come! A towering quadruped composed of slate. Beware its webs!" (Emphasis on what makes it terrifying. Metal FB:s are also quite badass.)
6) GDS
7) GCS
8) Helmet Snake
9) Badger badger badger badger badger
10) Giant Thrips

All of the above being subjective, of course.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2012, 06:52:50 am »

A steel-clad legendary axedwarf thrall.

Someone had one of those happen to them not long after thralls were introduced. It sounded... horrifying.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2012, 06:55:08 am »

People think elves are condescending but they don't even compare to capybaras.
They can afford to be. After all, they look all cute and fluffy until one suddenly decides to tear out your liver.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7