Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart not filling up with magma  (Read 1391 times)

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecart not filling up with magma
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:33:36 pm »

My minecart passes through 7/7 magma without filling up. The setup: track stop set to push, iron cart travels 3 squares across, then 3 ramps down, fourth ramp down into magma (2-tile wide channel), fifth ramp up out of the magma, then some more squares (no magma) until it stops by hitting a wall. I'm pretty sure the cart doesn't fly over the magma, as I can track it tick by tick and inspecting the 2 lowest ramps shows both 7/7 magma and the cart at some point in time.

Does the cart go too fast to get magma and if so then is there a no-rollers setup to obtain a magma-filled cart?

And yeah, magma-filled cart that stays in the magma doesn't count, I already have lots of them :)

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart not filling up with magma
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »

You can try a wider channel, but the minecart either needs to spend x amount of time, or go below x speed (i'm not sure which), in order to fill. Ofcourse it's then it weighs more. I don't know if anyone's found the sweet spot, i've just done it with rollers.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 11:54:20 am »

just make the minecart go into more than one sqaure of magma. Still use rollers. This should work. Reply if it does not.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 12:35:30 pm »

Needs at least one flat tile of magma. Possibly two.

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:42:34 am »

More datapoints, this time with a ramp-flat-ramp \_/ magma-filled channel.

First attempt: push from one flat square, travel across second flat square, then 3 down ramps then onto the lava-submerged 4th ramp. Didn't take lava, probably because some of the channel tiles were still 6/7.

Second attempt: the above setup retried, this time after assuring that all tiles are 7/7. Cart took lava but only made it to the half of the out-ramp, then back to the middle of the channel.

Third attempt: push  from one flat square, 4 down ramps (no intermediate flat sq. this time.), 5th down ramp is lava. Cart crosses the bottom of the channel (not taking lava), climbs the out-ramp from which it takes lava (ramp fill goes from 7/7 to 5/7) but doesn't make it out of the channel, rolls back to the bottom as in the previous attempt.

More experiments needed but I sorta ran out of space for the experiments and also goblins have no respect for science. Will update after dealing with these problems :)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 05:35:35 am »

I'd say rollers are a necessity.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:36:05 pm »

Yes you need rollers to get it out of the magma. You only need to work in 2 z levels.
1. push the cart
2. cart goes out over the magma
3. cart hits wall
4. cart drops in magma
5. cart is filled with magma
6. rollers bring cart out of magma
7. cart hits track stop.
8. cart is guided to your  destination
*remember to put magma safe gear assembly on an adjacent tile to power rollers
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 01:48:03 am »

Yeah, I know it's pretty straightforward with rollers and it looks like taking the magma slows the cart too much for a no-rollers setup to be possible. But I still plan to do some tests - if I precisely establish the maximal entry speed for which an unpowered cart still takes magma then we'll have a scientific certainty (well, for a particular shape of the magma channel being tested.)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 03:44:58 pm »

Hasn't any one tried sending a cart down a continuous ramp from the surface to the magma sea? Shouldn't that give it plenty of momentum to fill up and get out of the magma?
Doing this one could probably also find out the maximum velocity a minecart of a particular material can reach, too.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:11:49 am »

some thoughts:

1) maximum velocity momentum: max height at which a cart won't gain any more speed

2) is it the weight of the lava that slows the cart down or the viscosity of the lava? more weight means increased resistance and if you can take less than 7/7 magma (or whatever the max lava amount in a minecart is) you can have less resistance from weight, therefore there might be a sweet spot where let's say by only taking the minimum magma possible the resistance is low enough to overcome the ramp out.

3) In the other hand if it's the viscosity that causes the resistance you can't control the variable so if the cart "hits" a wall of magma it has to overcome it's viscosity to pass through, if the viscosity value is simply high enough to contra-rest whatever maximum velocity you're able to achieve then you need rollers... maybe the viscosity is variable depending on the magma level: 4/7 has more viscosity than 1/7...? if there's viscosity involved at all...