Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Saving metal bars with armour  (Read 1180 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Saving metal bars with armour
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:16:36 pm »

My fortress is very low in metal. Therefore, I have equipped all my military dwarves with leather armour over chain. If I remember the amount of bars needed for both chain and plate correctly, that should save me two metal bars per dwarf.

Am I correct?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Saving metal bars with armour
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:18:07 pm »

Mail shirts take two metal, breastplates three. So if you're using leather armour instead of metal breastplates, then that's three bars per dwarf saved. Are you using leather shields as well?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:29:03 pm »

I generally use wooden shields because in my experiences dorfs shield bash incredibly rarely and I can use my highly expieranced carpenter to make good quality shields (plus they're cheap, light and disposable). Not sure I've ever actually made a metal shield. How many bars do they take?

If you could make gold shields, it would be awesome. High value, heavy bash, and are simply awesome. Imagine your elite guards all having to have golden helms to meet a noble demands for a fancy looking guard.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 02:54:28 pm »

Shields take one bar.

You could make gold shields via reaction, though the forge isn't a workshop you can add reactions to. I usually keep a set of blank reactions and workshops in the raws, so that I can 'add' them mid-game if necessary.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 03:48:38 pm »

Consider leggings instead of greaves and low boots instead of high ones too. Never tried with regular metals, but that did save me some wafers without (or I believe so) sacrificing coverage.
A side question: is that greed really that necessary? I've always found that ~30 bars of imported steel and ~50 imported bronzes per year is as easy as one masterful yak meat roast [57].

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 03:52:21 pm »

Shields take one bar.

You could make gold shields via reaction, though the forge isn't a workshop you can add reactions to. I usually keep a set of blank reactions and workshops in the raws, so that I can 'add' them mid-game if necessary.

No need for a reaction, just set the raws so that golden armor is allowed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 04:02:29 pm »

Yeah, but then you get the caravans turning up with gold breastplates and gold gauntlets and such.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 04:08:02 pm »

Shields take one bar.

No need for a reaction, just set the raws so that golden armor is allowed.

Yeah, but then you get the caravans turning up with gold breastplates and gold gauntlets and such.

Why is this a bad thing?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 04:15:06 pm »

Gold sucks for anything but shields and other bludgeoning items. You could accept it as the price you pay for having gold shields, but we already have a heavy, soft material that's not really good for much. At least copper's price reflects its usefulness.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:16:49 pm by Sutremaine »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 04:29:18 pm »

Gold sucks for anything but shields and other bludgeoning items. You could accept it as the price you pay for having gold shields, but we already have a heavy, soft material that's not really good for much. At least copper's price reflects its usefulness.
Copper's great for shields, picks, and training.
Sig

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 04:31:12 pm »

Training?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 04:33:27 pm »

Yeah, you can quickly pound a few out to start training shield user. As I said, I prefer to churn out a few dozen wooden shields and call it a day.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 04:38:09 pm »

I believe it's training smiths.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »

But you can just melt down what you made and reform it. Also trains you furnac operators and wood burners if you do that, because you have to make more charcoal. If you request it from caravans, or make z-level tree farms, you won't really run low on wood to burn (and you'll upset the elves, which is always a plus).

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 04:45:49 pm »

But you can just melt down what you made and reform it. Also trains you furnac operators and wood burners if you do that, because you have to make more charcoal. If you request it from caravans, or make z-level tree farms, you won't really run low on wood to burn (and you'll upset the elves, which is always a plus).
Well you can but why? trash trap components go to shotgun ammo or to retracting spike arrays or to weapon trap arrays.and trash armor goes to never-rotting civilian uniforms.

Pages: [1] 2