Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Depression Thread! Woo!  (Read 8057 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
The Depression Thread! Woo!
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:50:18 am »

Well, I don't think it'd be questioned by anyone who has been reading the Sad thread of late that there's a fair few people on the Bay12 forums who are either suffering from, know someone suffering from, or are otherwise affected by depression.

So, this thread's intent:

• Company and support for people going through depression.
  • Support and advice for those who know someone suffering from depression.
  • Counselling those who are caring for people with depression.
  • Compiling links and resources for assisting people with depression.
  • In any other way necessary, supporting those people with depression, those people who know someone suffering from depression, or are otherwise affect by depression or people suffering from it.

I'd like to keep this post up to date with links, so any you think should be added would be best PMed to me, to make sure that I catch each one. They will go below.

Now, naturally, there'll be people who'd like to talk with someone here, someone private that they can trust. If you'd like to raise your hand to be one of those people who can be reached on this topic via a PM or other form of communication, please do PM me and I can put a list here, if such a want arises.

This may be a sensitive issue for some people, so I would ask that you refrain from criticising others on their actions, even via a PM. What is said on this thread, stays on this thread.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 05:54:47 am by Dsarker »
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: The Depression Thread! Woo!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:56:10 am »

Goddamn it, why did you just open up this thread?

But then again, someone needed to anyway.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 07:56:51 am »

I think (hope?) I'm coming out of my own depression, and this community has been no small help. Seriously, I'd still be in massive self loathing and denial without you guys.

Anyway, to anyone feeling down: Don't be ashamed. Never be ashamed of being messed up; that just keeps the cycle going. It's not your fault.

Also, to anyone feeling like they can't help since they themselves need help: Two things leaning on each other can hold each other up :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:58:41 am »

But yeah, instead of me just mumbling more about depression, let me give a personal thanks to all of Bay12 for a moment for being my emotional crutch last year. Was probably on the verge of insanity for reasons I will not detail, but your help kept me going through this (seemingly) pointless existence.

So thanks.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 08:00:28 am »

In my opinion, the sad thread serves well enough for this sort of thing.

then again, I don't know anyone who is depressed, nor am I depressed myself, so...

I don't believe the sad thread serves quite well enough for my wanting, which is why I made this one. Support information, people willing to be make-shift counselors, those things can come up in the sad thread, but this will ensure even those who go un-noticed on the sad thread will be able to find information here. And this can also help with those trying to support those with depression, because help will be available here too.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 08:09:10 am »

The only reason I'd consider this thread inadequate compared to the sad thread would be that the sad thread might be a bit more comfortable a spot to open up in. People are oft afraid they'll come across as "whiny" or "not really depressed and just faking it," so the sad thread's a bit more low-key and normal to voice their cries for help.

If you just made this thread to be an info dump rather than a conversation one, that's fine. I'll probably be linking to it in the future if that's the case.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 08:13:34 am »

It could be either, as the case requires. I'd like to have an info dump at the start, though, which I will work on right away on procuring links and the like.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 11:49:54 am »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 12:59:09 pm »

Would this have served better in Life advice?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 03:25:33 pm »

Probably. S'not a bad idea, but it would fit more there.

Incidentally in relation to a link posted above, every day of my life.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:30:37 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 03:30:57 pm »

The thread title is a little too enthusiastic for a depression thread.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 03:32:10 pm »

The thread title is a little too enthusiastic for a depression thread.
Irony helps. It is known. Although the closest I get to depression round about now is fits of nostalgia. I count myself lucky.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 04:29:35 pm »

That's seriously me, though I've gotten over it somewhat. Now I just crawl into a ball of anxiety over embarrassments from a few days ago, not years.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 05:19:22 pm »

That's seriously me, though I've gotten over it somewhat. Now I just crawl into a ball of anxiety over embarrassments from a few days ago, not years.

I know that feel. Though if we're going to talk about which ones fit us...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5