Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question RE: Bridges and their Use as Makeshift Walls  (Read 847 times)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
Question RE: Bridges and their Use as Makeshift Walls
« on: September 08, 2012, 04:10:56 am »

I've got a quick little question that's more or less a bit of double-checking my understanding about those useful little bridges. Now I know that if the bridge says that it will retract when triggered that it will retract, but I am wondering about what it means when it raises up, left or right. I haven't actually tried raising the bridges I have in place because I haven't gotten around to setting up a control room in my latest fortress to do so, but I was for some reason guessing that if a bridge raised up it would fling whatever is on it vertically, while the others would fling them either left or right depending on their orientation.

Am I wrong about this or am I spot on? Also, to be honest I had another question that was in particular about the bridges that raise up. Do they become a wall that is about as long as they are long or one that is about as long as they are wide?

Thank you for your help and your time. If I end up figuring it out before someone replies I'll let you know, but I'm a ways off from being able to set up my control room as I'm still trying to design the fortress commons before really building it out and so far have just been testing some designs on copies of my save to see which one would build the fastest and be the most efficient. Either way I appreciate whatever help is given.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Question RE: Bridges and their Use as Makeshift Walls
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:52:20 am »

You're right about the flinging part.

I don't really know what you mean with length and width, but a 3x4 bridge like so:
Code: [Select]
 XXX
 XXX
 XXX
 XXX
becomes a wall that is one z-level high.
Code: [Select]

OOO
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 05:38:32 am »

Yes, as stated above raised bridge works just like a wall, with to exceptions: your dwarves can't walk over the raised bridge and raised bridge doesn't support constructions.

It's also worth to remember that, while walls/floors can't be constructed closer than 5 tiles of the edge of map, bridges don't have this kind of limitation. This allows the player to construct a wall very close to the edge with using rising bridges.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 02:24:09 pm »

Okay, I see now. Thank you both very much for the help and advice, I appreciate it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 04:01:51 pm »

Making rock block walls is more efficient than raising rock block bridges.

10x1-tile bridge: I think three blocks, maybe four, plus one rock for a mechanism to raise it and one for a mechanism for connecting to the lever. Three rocks total. This doesn't account for the mechanism to build the lever, BTW.
10-tile wall: 10 blocks, 2-1/2 rocks total.

Walls also don't require architects, mechanics, or lever-pullers; a tile of wall has two jobs, make rock blocks and build building; the former is split between four chunks of wall, so it's more like 1.25 jobs/tile. The bridge needs a mason to make blocks, a mechanic to make mechanisms twice, an architect to design the bridge, a mason to build it, a mechanic to link up the bridge (effectively two jobs), and someone to pull the lever (which I won't count, to be nice and account for the above choice of counting). That's 7 jobs...okay, 0.7/tile, but still, you need to runfrom fort to bridge a lot. Also, your walls are susceptible to gremlins and crazy dwarves, not to menti0on forgetfulness.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.