Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart question...  (Read 860 times)

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecart question...
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:02:10 am »

Ok my current fort is on a 5x5 embark. It has a volcano in a mountain and I am nearing completion of a 15-z level wall that surrounds the entrance of my fort which is 15-z levels above the ground. 

I was wondering how much magma wound be dropped by a mine-cart that runs over a track stop. Do ll of the contents fall out or does it just drop a small portion of it.

The reason I was wondering this is because I'm going to make an automatic loading magma cooker for the entrance of my fort that will drop the magma 16 z levels to the ground on intruders that try and enter my fort. The carts will ride the wall and hit the track stop as they go around and because I am going to leave this path open at all times they will path through it. I am also planing to put pressure plates to start the system in a tunnel that I am going to construct that leads to the entrance. So when something walks over the pressure plate it will lower my stop and the mine-carts will start to take their course.

The reason I want to know if it drops all or partial contents is because it would kinda suck when it is travailing in a w>e and hits the track stop drop to the north and only drops part of the contents.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart question...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:17:43 am »

Yes, it drops it all at a stop set to dump on arrival.

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:20:34 am »

Sweetbeans, now the next question is does the falling 15z levels add damage from the fall?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 02:23:17 am »

that, i have no idea.  FWIW I know that if you only drop 1 z level you sometimes get magma splash back up on the track as the space below fills up, which can cause interrupts in the tram service.