Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need tips on finding a vampire in a chaotic fortress  (Read 3578 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Need tips on finding a vampire in a chaotic fortress
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:25:47 pm »

I have a vampire problem and thought it was my mayor, so I locked him in his room and he died of thirst.

I'm guessing he wasn't it, any tips would be great, thanks!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Need tips on finding a vampire in a chaotic fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:20:42 am »

Really long list of associations is usaully the tell-tale sign, but...

The easiest way is ta=hat since they never sleep, eat, or drink, they don't gat any of the attendant thoughts. Simply mark all dwarves you see with the thoughts with a nickname or something, then wait a few minutes, do it again. Last one is the vamp.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 01:47:44 am »

Yeah, vampires generally have a really long list of past civs. Not all do though, and some normal dwarves have long ones too. I also think they get thoughts like "Hasn't had a drink in a very long time and would really like one" or something like that if they havn't drained anyone of blood recently.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:10:55 am »

As mentioned, no thoughts about eating/drinking/sleeping are a very good indicator,
if you are using Dwarf Therapist its pretty obvious if they have a different name (true name) here than ingame (fake name).
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 07:58:37 am »

I wonder if Toady will ever implement the noble, "Witchfinder General".

For extra points have the noble elected/appointed!
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 08:00:48 am »

Send all but one dwarf in a borrow over magma sea grates then pull a lever...
VAMPIRE PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:02:45 am »

I also think they get thoughts like "Hasn't had a drink in a very long time and would really like one" or something like that if they havn't drained anyone of blood recently.
No, they get that thought when they haven't drunk alcohol in a long time, and it only appears on creatures with the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENCY] tag. Vampires have the [NO_DRINK] tag, so they never drink alcohol (or water). There are no thoughts associated with blood-drinking or the lack thereof.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 10:05:21 am »

Send all but one dwarf in a borrow over magma sea grates then pull a lever...
VAMPIRE PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
The remaining dwarf will be the vampire.
My wooden badge was delicious.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 11:20:27 am »

Vampires can't drown! Set up a drowning station and start drowning suspected vampires. If they die, they are innocent and will be received unto Armok. If they live, they are a vampire and must be encased in obsidian!
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 01:17:03 pm »

According to the Wiki article on vampires...

Statues and engravings may identify dwarves as vampires before it is common knowledge, and may even depict them sucking blood.Bug:5209
Likewise, pets adopted by vampires will identify them as vampires in the adoption announcement.Bug:5942
Vampires do not bother claiming bedrooms, which doesn't help their disguise.Bug:5642

So you can try to get some useless pets (like freshly hatched chicks) to be assigned to suspect dwarves and see the resulting announcement. In case they aren't, kill the pet. It'll help to get the dorf become less moody.

Or you can hope that your legendary mason who's churning statues like there's no tomorrow decides to do one of Urist McVampire as he drinks blood from his latest victim.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 03:47:00 pm »

I don't think that normally adopting critters merits an announcement (although cats adopting dwarves does), and I know that the chicks will only be adopted if the vampire likes chickens.

Look at suspicious dwarves for lack of food/drink/sleep-related thoughts and needing alcohol.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 03:57:09 pm »

Actualy lock up suspected vamp lock door and observe.
please note they are pretty damn tough and 50 hammer strikes dont allways work so an Iron spike danger room AKA the death chamber is necasery for any self respecting jail.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 04:05:25 pm »

Vamps never have food-, drink-, or sleep-related thoughts, never claim bedrooms, have alcohol-deprived thoughts even in abundance of booze, usually have long lists of former allegiances, always worship a god or two and usually have all their family dead. Seriously, their personality screen is outright screaming: "Hey I'm Urist McDracula and I'm going for your legendary armorsmith next!". You can't miss it, just take care to look through their thoughts.
I hope vampires are getting more stealthy in the future.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 04:16:56 pm »

Also if someone witnes a vamp kill someone look at the witness as well as the suspect.
Kinda how I find my vamps.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 06:19:18 pm »

I hope vampires are getting more stealthy in the future.
You can mod in stealthier vampires to add to the default type, or you can use a syndrome to tweak the default vampires. The main issues as far as stealth goes are eating, sleeping and drinking. The eating and drinking tags can be removed entirely, either permanently or for long enough for the vampire to almost die from lack of those things. Sleeping is a little trickier, as creatures that sleep but have the [NOSTUN] tag will never wake up once they fall asleep. I haven't done any other science on the interaction of those two tags.

Then you have to apply the syndrome to the vampire. I favour using dwarven blood as the syndrome carrier, although this does leave a post-feeding window in which the vampire needs to eat, drink, and sleep, but hasn't had time to get hungry, thirsty, or drowsy and so won't have any thoughts related to those things.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2