Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is there so many kids!?  (Read 1124 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Why is there so many kids!?
« on: September 07, 2012, 08:10:49 pm »

I started a new map and are severely lacking in dwarfs and the last two migrant waves have been six kids and one adult. More then half of my fortress is bloody kids! Is there a reason for this, I kinda want to start a new map now.

Also in lazy newb launcher, What should I put in the kid section so a quarter at most are children?

Edit: Also no animals each wave, is my home faction just really poor?
New that cave in at the start was a bad omen.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:12:43 pm by Captain Willy »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Why is there so many kids!?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:13:08 pm »

From what I saw in the ini files, you can't actually limit migrant kids, only pregnancies.

Looks like you need to do a little culling. Please ask if you need any advice on how to cull them.

Or you can just use Girlinhat's dwarf childcare system. That works too.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:15:42 pm »

From what I saw in the ini files, you can't actually limit migrant kids, only pregnancies.

Looks like you need to do a little culling. Please ask if you need any advice on how to cull them.

Or you can just use Girlinhat's dwarf childcare system. That works too.

Also I've only gotten two waves in almost three years really sucks too, but ya tell me how to "cull the herd" please and thank you.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:19:10 pm »

Kill them. Better yet, use DT to put them to work or chuck them in a pit with several puppies until they grow up. Think of the latter as a modified version of Roger Stone's theory on raising boys.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »

First: Dwarf Child Care

Now, for culling: There are several ways to cull, but I always recommend doing something first: Check their ages. If any are 12, or even 11, keep them alive since dorfs become adults at 13 years. With that out of the way, you merely need to find a way to kill them. The more amusing and inefficient, the more dwarfy it is. Cave-ins, atom-smashing, sealing them in an empty room to starve/dehydrate to death, releasing animals/prisioners on them or anything that kills them should do. You can also use them to test traps (flooding chambers, etc) or as vampire food.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 08:22:37 pm »

Or stick them into barrels. Consider letting them out at 12, otherwise stop up the...I forget how this goes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 08:31:10 pm »

If you don't want kids in you game, go into your DF folder and modify your dwarves so they have no "baby" stage and being a child lasts only a single year.

Go into your dwarf raw, find the [BABY:1] tag, and delete it, then find the [CHILD:12] tag (should be right next to it) and change it to [CHILD:1]

Now kids grow up in one year, and skip being babies entirely!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 08:31:29 pm »

1. Make a atom-smasher in a room in a distant corner of the fortress. Ensure one of the walls, reachable only from inside the room, is a constructed wall. The room has a lockable door, and the control lever is in the dining hall.

2. Designate the wall with "remove construction" and remove the designation if anyone but a kid shows up. It helps to do this when all the adults are busy dumping things or at the trade depot.

3. Lock the kid in the room, remove the designation, and atom-smash the kid. There is no body to find, so the kid is "missing".

4. Have a rock slab made at the mason's shop. Once the kid is declared "missing for a week", engrave the kid's name on the slab and build it somewhere.

5. Congrats! You have cleanly rid yourself of a useless kid, and the parents are none the wiser (no decrease in happiness).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 08:39:41 pm »

Try a variant of Roger Stone's theory of raising boys. Ideally, get a few puppies in there.
Sig

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 02:17:02 am »

As to "why" is there so many kids - what is the year your in your current world? I've just recently experienced massive number of children migrants in my 55-year world.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

nshapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 04:06:53 am »

The only answer I can think of is that in 12 years, you're going to need a military.
<---  This child was trapped and unharmed behind a bridge when the lever shown was pulled.  How did he manage it?  Nobody will ever know.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 11:26:33 am »

As to "why" is there so many kids - what is the year your in your current world? I've just recently experienced massive number of children migrants in my 55-year world.

38 I think, but I always do before 50 and it has never been this bad.