Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about projectile weapons  (Read 479 times)

Bob-E

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question about projectile weapons
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:48:46 pm »

Is there any way to have a projectile weapon fire faster? Like say... I wanted the crossbow to fire at warp speed or somesuch (I don't, but hey, examples.), would so be possible? The reason I'm asking is because I'm turning a save of DF into a WW1-esque simulator.
On another note: Where would I be able to add/change the names of skills?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:58:14 pm by Bob-E »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Question about projectile weapons
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 07:03:10 pm »

Crossbows fire immediately after the previous shot disappears, so by increasing the SHOOT_MAXVEL:X on the crossbow they will shoot faster. (This will have a side effect of making your bullets do more damage.)

You cannot add new skills to the game, but you can rename them on a creature-by-creature basis if you add PROFESSION_NAME to the creature. (Example: [PROFESSION_NAME:CRAFTSMAN:craftsdwarf:craftsdwarves])
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bob-E

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:07:32 pm »

Thanks for the help~ This should help in my bumbling escapades.

Bob-E

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 07:46:31 pm »

Oh! Last thing: Is there any way to make a projectile have a 100% chance of breaking? It'd be a bit silly if you could pick up and use bullets.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:13:26 pm »

Well, it depends. People really can reload bullets, putting the lead part back in the casing and adding new powder.

You can't change how often ammo breaks, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 11:27:48 pm »

Well, it depends. People really can reload bullets, putting the lead part back in the casing and adding new powder.

You can't change how often ammo breaks, though.

You can't do that. Bullets are sized down to the thousanth of the inch, and depending on type they may distort on firing, and will always distort on striking any remotely solid object, often spectacularly. Much of the time the chunk of lead you'll find wouldn't even be easily recognizable. And even the less mangled ones might make your firearm explode if you tried to fire them again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I suppose that might be practical in rare cases with primitive firearms that operate with much looser tolerances but it probably still wouldn't be a good idea.

Now pulling a bullet out of a target, melting and recasting it, that works.

The reloading people do with modern firearms refers to loading new powder and projectile into used cartridge cases.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 06:57:36 am »

...Okay, I misunderstood. That actually makes more sense, actually.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.