Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nisgakkulet Siknug Tosid, Terrifying Tundra Challenge  (Read 1470 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Nisgakkulet Siknug Tosid, Terrifying Tundra Challenge
« on: September 07, 2012, 05:24:31 pm »

Welcome to Nisgakkulet Siknug Tosid, "Frostabbey, the Dwelling of Armor", dwarven outpost of the Stinthäd Zanos, "The Theater of Hope".

Frostabbey is located in the Worried Tooth mountains, near several goblin castles. The surrounding land is tundra, but the scouts have reported a volcano siting on the mountaintop. The tundra is full of the undead, brought back by unknown forces by unknown masters. The biome is simply known as one word: Terrifying. Seven dwarves were sent off to begin the outpost on the volcano of the Fire of Habits, may Armok watch over their souls.

It is the 1st of Granite, the year: 79, early spring when the seven arrive. In the group, there are three miners, two carpenters and two herbalists who are skilled in finding and preparing food.

There are no trees. The ground should be covered in a permafrost, completely white with snow all the year round. The entranceway must be guarded at all costs from the potential dangers of the outside. Frostabbey's greatest hope of survival is the single cavern layer below. Ever present beside them, the heat of the volcano.

The challenge: to survive.

Spoiler: The site (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Original Post (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:19:48 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Need a Challenge (Non-Excessive)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:46:00 pm »

Ive only been playing for a couple months but try a glacier,mountain,volcano,ravine,aquifer,etc. All things I haven't tried though.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 05:47:16 pm »

I have a volcano in a terrifying mountain surrounded by a terrifying tundra. I think this might suffice. I turned off sieges for the beginning.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 06:01:00 pm »

Megaprojects.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 06:05:32 pm »

Try a 2x2 embark, and build above ground. Make a big tower and build up to the sky.

Also 2x2 embarks are fun. Space is extremely limited so you need to be clever, and your FPS will be amazing.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Nisgakkulet Siknug Tosid, Terrifying Tundra Challenge
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 06:41:05 pm »

Is this a comunial challenge? What's going on here? Where's the save?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 06:56:04 pm »

Is this a communal challenge?
(Fixed that for you) It could be. I can put up the world_gen_param's if people want it.

What's going on here?
I am challenging myself to survive on a terrifying biome that has a volcano and one cavern layer. I am up for suggestions on what to do with my fortress once I get the basics set up. What kind of mega-project should I embark upon? Should I make a undead training pit?

Where's the save?
Didn't think to put one up.

4th of Granite: the miners are on their way to digging out the beginnings of the fortress when a vile rain of rotting slime has began to fall. Two weaselmen were infected by the goo, causing trails of pus to be left in the snow. Thankfully, the wagon was not in the rainstorm, as it seems to have bypassed most of the mountain.

The dwarves have brought with them a breeding pair of war dogs, yaks and reindeer calves. Along with those are three hens and a rooster, brought for the eggs that may end up sustaining the abbey. Deep within the mountain, steel picks ring as they clear the bedrooms, workshops and storage areas.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 06:58:40 pm »

PTW.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 07:07:58 pm »

Spoiler: World Gen Parameters (click to show/hide)

I am using not using mods on the file, so vanilla DF should be able to recreate it.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 07:52:47 pm »

In the beginning the Toad created the heavens and the earth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now the earth was cold and haunted, and the dwarfs said "Let us embark"
the Toad saw that the area was good, and he changed the good with evil.
And they needed to get below before the first day.
And dwarfs said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate outside snow from inside water.”

I'm going to live underground with trees and plants... how about you TheyGot?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 08:16:02 pm »

Other than rotting slime, how is the glacier evil?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:45:44 pm »

The undead came, and took their first life.
That wasn't enough for the undead. They pushed the envelop...
After slaying a cat, they flee to their outdoor skies.
The dwarfs, despreate for food, attempt to fish the caverns below.
Attempting to honor his dead companion the Fish Cleaner discovers the evil to the rain.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 09:22:45 pm »

So...undead and pussy rain. No problem.
Sig

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 09:26:30 pm »

They pushed their luck! They've come below to our depths.
The dogs are torn apart and the ol' dead cat arises!
Our citizens are torn apart!
All are drafted into the militia, god speed.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and dwarven stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Eventually, we place the undead below us and floor over their escape... this should give us a moment of peace.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:03:42 am by Brewster »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 09:35:34 pm »

The rain is pussy. The undead? Not so much.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2