Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can building busters break into brooks?  (Read 1777 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Can building busters break into brooks?
« on: September 07, 2012, 05:22:29 pm »

And would they? Deciding whether or not a cistern/well needs securing.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Can building busters break into brooks?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:27:10 pm »

From the wiki: "The only buildings that will be spared by a building destroyer are wells, bridges, roads, traps (including levers and track stops), animal traps, chains, cages, stockpiles, and upright weapons."
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 05:33:09 pm »

I ask because brooks act like floorgrates. They might not actually be buildings; that same wiki doesn't list them as such.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 05:36:39 pm »

I guess you will have to figure it out. My guess is no, they won't break the floor to get into the river to attack you. You are probably safe.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 05:48:12 pm »

Brooks, for all intents and purposes, function exactly the same as a constructed or natural floor, and are therefore immune to building destroyers.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 05:52:05 pm »

Brooks, for all intents and purposes, function exactly the same as a constructed or natural floor, and are therefore immune to building destroyers.
Figured as much. Thank you.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 09:33:21 pm »

Except they allow fishing and water drainage, (supposedly).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:34:59 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 01:51:54 am »

water drainage, (supposedly).
This much I can confirm, magma and water will pass through brooks and Dwarves can drink through brooks. Never seen them fish though, so I can't confirm that.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 02:30:33 am »

Dwarfes fish brooks with no problem.

I am guessing brooks are also special in terms of building destroyers, they just ACT as floor grates, not actually ARE floor grates.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 09:29:03 am »

Does this mean that a building buster will destroy supports?

Could one bring down an entire fortress with one swing of a hammer?
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 01:37:08 pm »

Does this mean that a building buster will destroy supports?
Nup, supports are fine. This is supposed to avoid BD dropping floors on their heads.