Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why won't my miners swim out of a flooded mineshaft?  (Read 817 times)

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why won't my miners swim out of a flooded mineshaft?
« on: September 07, 2012, 01:08:05 pm »

ok so since i'm an idiot who's been embarking on aquifers without exactly knowing what the fun they are about. Hilariously thinking that smoothing off the walls would stop them from being aquifers, I dug out a stone wall- because for all my digging, all the stone-bearing walls are aquifers -.-

Anyway, obviously it didn't work (hooray!) and the shaft was flooded. Fair enough. My miners are too stupid to flee, however, preferring continuing to carry out their previous smoothing task.

Here's the thing, though. The shaft filled slowly enough that they've had the time to train themselves to skilled swimmer and beyond... but I tried to issue some orders for them so that they'd get out of the water, but nothing.

I guess they can't swim the current or something, but could I get some more intel on this before I close the game and revert to the previous save file?

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't my miners swim out of a flooded mineshaft?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 02:03:25 pm »

Try assigning them to a burrow, it will force them no go to that specific location, if they can indeed get to it. If they can't there is a reason they cant get out and not the fault of dwarven I.Q.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't my miners swim out of a flooded mineshaft?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 03:25:24 pm »

mhm, thanks for the info...

Unfortunatly I already undid the save (unflooded shaft is more useful than two legendary swimmer, possibly dead miners atm) so I'll have to try this technique another time.