Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Killing a Mountain Titan  (Read 2274 times)

Thrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killing a Mountain Titan
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:30:20 am »

Hello,

I just got a mountain titan on my map.
And I have no idea to kill him.
All of my military (including archers) is webbed from the titan. He webbs so fast that they cant move a single tile.
Is there a way to get my military free? Or will they die from starvation?
My archers shoot endless at him, he is now wounded and dont move anymore. But when the archers run out of bolts, they tried to get close to the titan and now they also webbed.
Any recommendations?

Thrall

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killing a Mountain Titan
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 11:45:14 am »

Get More Archers. If currently fodder dies before you do, get more Recruits.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:23:46 pm »

You can also build a catapult or ballista aimed at it. Beware of it's friendly fire!
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 05:30:58 pm »

What is the Titan's description and where is is?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 11:08:02 pm »

He's totally immobile, right? Build a 1-tile thick "bridge" to the titan a few tiles directly above him and then deconstruct it. Cave-in = instant death.

Thrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 11:53:16 pm »

Hello,

he is outside of my fort on the surface and indeed not moving.
The cave-in method sounds good, but will the civs not running away from him? At least they do it on the same z level like the titan.

Thrall

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 06:28:10 am »

Soldiers do free themselves form webs. Check their combat logs. However, continuous webbing prevents this from happening. As for the archers, unactivate them once they run out of bolts/arrows. They'll run away to refill their quivers.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 10:15:42 am »

Quoted for emphasis.

We need to know what the titan is made of before we can recommend how to kill it. If it's made of some inorganic material (particularly a stone, gem, metal, or glass), anything short of a cave-in trap will probably have no effect at all, while a living creature (or one made of water/snow, ash, mud, vomit, grime, etc.) should be killable by marksdwarves. After all, every titan is different.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Thrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 11:07:25 am »

the titan is made out of crystal glass.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 12:01:59 pm »

cave in, your archers wont to jack against that thing....

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 04:06:56 pm »

Quoted for emphasis.

We need to know what the titan is made of before we can recommend how to kill it. If it's made of some inorganic material (particularly a stone, gem, metal, or glass), anything short of a cave-in trap will probably have no effect at all, while a living creature (or one made of water/snow, ash, mud, vomit, grime, etc.) should be killable by marksdwarves. After all, every titan is different.
Especially the fluid materials--those can't hold up to anything.

You sure? Try dropping it down a deep hole. Then consider a cave-in.

Aside from being a crystal glass webber, what is it? Blobs are tougher than humanoids or cavies.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »

Quoted for emphasis.

Especially the fluid materials--those can't hold up to anything.

You sure? Try dropping it down a deep hole. Then consider a cave-in.

Aside from being a crystal glass webber, what is it? Blobs are tougher than humanoids or cavies.

As long as it doesn't fly, it won't really matter.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 09:45:30 pm »

I'd still like a description. It does matter. If it's a spider, it has webs and poison automatically and might have something else, like dust. If it's a scorpion or snake, it has poison. If it's a blob, it it harder to kill. Etc.
Sig

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 10:01:52 pm »

Ok heres what you do. First, you are going to trap him somewhere. Doesnt matter where, just try to make it close to the surface. Then, build a life-size replica of a goodyear blimp out of solid granite in the open air above him. Do you have granite on your map? If not, buy it from some humans. Those guys are bonafide. Then, put a trading depot in the dwarfenblimp. You are going to wait for some elves to set up shop in the goodyear blimp, then DROP THAT SONUVVAGUN ON THIS SELF-RIGHTEOUS EXCUSE OF A TITAN. Props if you fill it with booze, and ignite the booze to trip the trap.

Alternately, if you aren't a real man, just channel underneath him to the magma pools. Melt his glassy behind.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 12:04:13 am »

Ok heres what you do. First, you are going to trap him somewhere. Doesnt matter where, just try to make it close to the surface. Then, build a life-size replica of a goodyear blimp out of solid granite in the open air above him. Do you have granite on your map? If not, buy it from some humans. Those guys are bonafide. Then, put a trading depot in the dwarfenblimp. You are going to wait for some elves to set up shop in the goodyear blimp, then DROP THAT SONUVVAGUN ON THIS SELF-RIGHTEOUS EXCUSE OF A TITAN. Props if you fill it with booze, and ignite the booze to trip the trap.

Alternately, if you aren't a real man, just channel underneath him to the magma pools. Melt his glassy behind.
This. Be a real dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2