Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elite wrestler squad?  (Read 6225 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Elite wrestler squad?
« on: September 07, 2012, 12:32:27 am »

Would a squad of all wrestler dwarves, no weapons, be a good idea?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Elite wrestler squad?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 12:34:51 am »

Do you think that dwarves need arms?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:56:34 am »

:P Well yeah. But seriously, is this a good idea, or a bad one? Would they be combat effective?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 01:38:37 am »

I suppose they might strangle goblins to death. Personally I think an elite shield bashing squad would be better.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:44:04 am »

Captain Urist Squad. Oh, and:
Urist McWrestler: It's just a flesh wound!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 02:21:24 am »

So make 'em a dual wielding shield squad?

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 02:26:10 am »

You can pretrain your soldiers as wrestlers. Once you put a weapon in their hands, stuff dies too quickly for them to get a lot of useful practice in.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 02:26:56 am »

So make 'em a dual wielding shield squad?
If you've got a lot of marksdwarves, then dual shield squads are excellent fodder to throw on the front line. They can't kill anything but they can't die either.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 07:45:01 am »

I wouldn't train Wrestling on it's own. However, i find it to be a nice addition to your typical training regimen and it trains armor user faster than sparring with weapons does. I usually have my civilians wrestling every once in a while so they can get at least basic combat abilities.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 07:53:26 am »

Train it for attributes and then give them weapons.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 11:09:50 am »

If you've got a lot of marksdwarves, then dual shield squads are excellent fodder to throw on the front line. They can't kill anything but they can't die either.
Fast and skilled dwarves can kill goblins even with leather shields, and with the marksdwarf cover the shield squad's role will be cleanup as much as lockdown. Give them a pair of copper shields and they'll be turning bones into putty while the goblins are still conscious.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 11:24:12 am »

Wrestling is powerful in adventure mode because you use targeted strikes and know to use it to disarm the enemy.  In fort mode your dwarves will be often as not putting the enemy in a 4th-toe jointlock etc.  Wrestlers make OK cannon fodder, and it's a useful cross training skill to get stats, but it's not more effective in combat than arming them.

But like anything, don't take our word for it, go ahead and try it :)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 12:31:10 pm »

There's a reason why every military in history has armed their soldiers.

It turns out an armed soldier is more effective in combat compared to an unarmed soldier.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 12:31:34 pm »

Wrestling used to be lethal in 40d versions, since size did not matter for wrestling. One encounter with a dragon left one crossbowdwarf dead, another sans legs, while the dragon got his neck snapped by a wrestler.

Now, not so much.

Adventurer mode, as the previous pos says, it's more useful, especially if you can easily make a chokehold. One turn of choking is often enough to make a foe pass out, which is the same condition as "giving in to pain", meaning every hit is a simple strike, direct hit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 02:40:57 pm »

Wrestlers make OK cannon fodder, and it's a useful cross training skill to get stats, but it's not more effective in combat than arming them.
It's useful for getting out of holds and for keeping the dwarf attached when biting and it's trained as a side effect of training unarmed and shieldless to try and force armour training, but for the most part any enemies that are larger than humanoid are really, really big and can't be offensively wrestled.

Considering how easy it is to get hold of weapons in DF and how good they are compared to nothing at all, wrestlers are only OK if you need a military dwarf on the spot. If you have time to arm them with anything at all, do so.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2