Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hellstone Titan: The Ultimate Monster?  (Read 3918 times)

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
Hellstone Titan: The Ultimate Monster?
« on: September 06, 2012, 11:28:41 pm »

I've been working on a little project, a monster that can quickly, and efficiently, annihilate all life in the game.  It started with a thought exercise: what could be worse than fighting a bronze colossus?  Well, what if, instead of it being made of bronze, it was made of something denser, stronger, harder to break?  That's good so far.  I made a colossus out of the densest material in the game (I won't say what it is, let's just say you'll only find it when you find the Happy Fun Stuff).  So far so good, it's able to take a pounding even from other bronze colossi, and not notice unless they aim a punch or kick directly at a finger or toe.  Adamantine dents, but otherwise does not hurt it.  But it can only attack one enemy at a time, and only at point blank, so archers will just pepper it with arrows and run.  Easily fixed, make it breathe fire, so it can take out distant targets.  But what to do about melee?  It can only attack one enemy at a time, and against a mob, it will take forever to kill them all.  Sure, I could code an attack that would set fire to everything nearby, but why should I have to?  When I can make it out of a substance that does not melt, but generates a constant, unbearable heat that can, just by being nearby, cause any living thing to start burning and die within seconds.  I created a unique substance that has the same density and toughness of the previously mentioned stone, and a constant temperature of 60,000 degrees Urist.   Then, I set the creature's body temp to the same.  I now have a creature that possesses the strength, toughness, and tenacity of a bronze colossus, but will cause any non-fireproof creature to begin melting and burning in a few turns.  Just standing next to this creature will cause anyone to begin burning in a few turns, melt in a few more, and be reduced to a cloud of smoke and a pile of non-burnable items in seconds.  A bronze colossus will eventually melt during combat with this creature (and in a fist fight, will get brutalized mercilessly).  Adamantine cannot break it, even in the hands of a grand master.  The only possible ways of killing it are dropping it off a cliff (maybe, I haven't tested that yet), and trapping it in obsidian (maybe, I haven't tested that yet either. It's possible it may be so hot that the water would evaporate BEFORE it could hit the lava).  Trapping it in magma might work, it can't swim in it, but it will never melt.

Combat against mere mortals is almost humorously horrifying.  The human approaches to attack.  The creature can just grab it's victim by the head with both hands.  Just standing next to the creature is sufficient, but skin contact speeds up the process.  In one turn, the head is burned.  Smoke begins issuing from the victim.  As turns pass, the burning spreads, and starting from the head down, body parts begin to melt, then bleed, slowly at first, but with increasing speed.  The bleeding progresses as the burning spreads.  Soon, EVERY INDIVIDUAL PART OF THE VICTIM'S BODY has sustained red injuries.  Meanwhile, your victim has been impotently trying to break your hold or attack the unbreakable monster in front of it.  Within a few more turns, and more than half a page of red injuries to the entire body, the victim is dead, and smoke has gone from issuing to ERUPTING from the victim, as the body does not so much burn as vaporize from the intense heat.  In seconds, there is nothing left but whatever metal gear your victim had left.  You can then pick up the gear, only to have it likewise vaporize after a few turns.

This creature's intense heat makes extended combat against it impossible, it's fire breath renders long range combat extremely short-lived.  Nigh-Invulnerable, it's very presence kills anything that tries to fight it without any attacks, this may very well be the ultimate monster.

I call it The Hellstone Titan.

Here's the code.  Have Fun.

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:HELLSTONE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:hellstone][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:1][TILE:176]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[DEEP_SURFACE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:1]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:60000]
[SOLID_DENSITY:200000]
[IMPACT_YIELD:4000000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:5000000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:4000000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:5000000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TENSILE_YIELD:4000000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:5000000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TORSION_YIELD:4000000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:5000000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[SHEAR_YIELD:4000000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:5000000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[BENDING_YIELD:4000000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:5000000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[MAX_EDGE:1000]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[IS_STONE]
[UNDIGGABLE]

[CREATURE:HELLSTONE_TITAN]
[DESCRIPTION:A fiery monster hewn from stone at hell's heart.]
[NAME:hellstone titan:hellstone titans:hellstone titan]
[CASTE_NAME:hellstone titan:hellstone titans:hellstone titan]
[CREATURE_TILE:'C'][COLOR:0:0:0]
[MEGABEAST][DIFFICULTY:15] 11 or higher does not get assigned as adv mode quests
[ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:10000:100000]
[FANCIFUL]
[NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION]
[NOTHOUGHT][NOEXERT]
[NO_DIZZINESS]
[NO_FEVERS]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
[LARGE_PREDATOR]
[NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Breath fire]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[CDI:FLOW:DRAGONFIRE]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:50]
[SPHERE:METALS]
[SPHERE:STRENGTH]
[SPHERE:WAR]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
[BIOME:ANY_LAND]
[EQUIPS]
[NOFEAR]
[CAN_LEARN]
[CAN_SPEAK]
[HOMEOTHERM:60000]
[PREFSTRING:height]
[NOBONES]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:HUMANOID_JOINTS:5FINGERS:5TOES]
[NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT]
[TISSUE:HELLSTONE]
[TISSUE_NAME:hellstone:hellstone]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:HELLSTONE]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HELLSTONE]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:20000000]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[ATTACK:PUNCH:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:GRASP]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:punch:punches]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK:KICK:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:STANCE]
[ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:kick:kicks]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
[ITEMCORPSE:STATUE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:HELLSTONE]
[ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:5]
[DIURNAL]
[LAIR:SHRINE:100]
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Hellstone Titan: The Ultimate Monster?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:34:58 pm »

Hehehe. With a bit of body work, it can be made to be completely unkillable, as well.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 11:37:36 pm »

Hehehe. With a bit of body work, it can be made to be completely unkillable, as well.

I'm not sure if it was meant to be completely unkillable, merely astronomically improbable to.

Regardless, a Masterwork mod dwarf wearing volcanic armour and wielding a slademantine zweihander bisected it. Anything in Vanilla though? Nah.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:40:08 pm »

I figure that it should be completely unkillable (barring shenanigans) to be considered the ultimate monster :P

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:58:38 am »

I'm not sure if it was meant to be completely unkillable, merely astronomically improbable to.

Regardless, a Masterwork mod dwarf wearing volcanic armour and wielding a slademantine zweihander bisected it. Anything in Vanilla though? Nah.

Did the dwarf survive the process?  I mean, I've seen mere mortals get severe burns just from temporary contact with this thing, and some of them died in the process.  Unless the dwarf got a lucky swing on the first hit, it's unlikely he got through unscathed.

Unkillable?  Well, in a straight up fight against any living (or undead, or animated) thing in the game, yeah, it's there already in Vanilla DF.  All you'd need to do for complete invulnerability is make it a single-piece monster.  But then, where's the fun in that?  It would just be a moving rock.  "Oh no, run from the giant boulder!"  Besides, it then would lack a reasonable capability to kill FIREPROOF creatures.  Sick this thing on a dragon, and no amount of fire will kill either one.  But while the dragon can't kill the titan with tooth and claw, the titan can one-hit the dragon with one blow to the brain-pan.  It can effectively end anything in Vanilla with minimal effort.  In modded, it would need tweaking, but Modded is a completely different playground.  In modded you could give this sucker armor that never melts and weapons that can slay the gods, but for basic massacring ability with it's basic skills, unarmed and unarmored, this is nigh-invulnerable to anything short of fortress mode shenanigans.  It's too big for the dwarven atom smasher to be effective.  Magma can trap it, but not kill it.  It can't be caged (a wood cage would burn before it got locked inside). Think of it as a test for your ability to plan a fortress that can handle unconventional enemies.  Or, you can take it for a spin in adventure mode, and depopulate the entire world, one settlement at a time.
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 02:14:35 am »

Did the dwarf survive the process?  I mean, I've seen mere mortals get severe burns just from temporary contact with this thing, and some of them died in the process.  Unless the dwarf got a lucky swing on the first hit, it's unlikely he got through unscathed.

Unkillable?  Well, in a straight up fight against any living (or undead, or animated) thing in the game, yeah, it's there already in Vanilla DF.  All you'd need to do for complete invulnerability is make it a single-piece monster.  But then, where's the fun in that?  It would just be a moving rock.  "Oh no, run from the giant boulder!"  Besides, it then would lack a reasonable capability to kill FIREPROOF creatures.  Sick this thing on a dragon, and no amount of fire will kill either one.  But while the dragon can't kill the titan with tooth and claw, the titan can one-hit the dragon with one blow to the brain-pan.  It can effectively end anything in Vanilla with minimal effort.  In modded, it would need tweaking, but Modded is a completely different playground.  In modded you could give this sucker armor that never melts and weapons that can slay the gods, but for basic massacring ability with it's basic skills, unarmed and unarmored, this is nigh-invulnerable to anything short of fortress mode shenanigans.  It's too big for the dwarven atom smasher to be effective.  Magma can trap it, but not kill it.  It can't be caged (a wood cage would burn before it got locked inside). Think of it as a test for your ability to plan a fortress that can handle unconventional enemies.  Or, you can take it for a spin in adventure mode, and depopulate the entire world, one settlement at a time.

Volcanic Armour is heat-proof. I use it for deep magma-sea diving, mostly.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 03:34:34 pm »

I figure that it should be completely unkillable (barring shenanigans) to be considered the ultimate monster :P

Thats not so much the ultimate monster as the ultimate fuck you :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 03:37:31 pm »

Hellstone Titan: DF's Ultimate Flip-off.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 03:48:54 pm »

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
        [BOILING_POINT:1000000000]
   [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:GAS]
if someone cuts it he gets lovely warm shower of !!blood!!
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »

Volcanic Armour is heat-proof. I use it for deep magma-sea diving, mostly.

Do the dwarves survive?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 04:05:38 pm »

Volcanic with an undercoat of nethercap should make you completely fireproof. Regardless, my dwarves charge into battle infront of a boatmurdered-esque magma blast, and I haven't had a single fire induced casualty.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 04:07:20 pm »

Does it make giant sponges give a shit?

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 04:10:46 pm »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 04:37:13 pm »

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: [1] 2 3