Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What speed do you run Df at?  (Read 1682 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What speed do you run Df at?
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:58:24 pm »

I'm just wondering. Right now I have the first fps number limited to 120 and it stays at that constantly, and then the second number i limited to 80 and it stays at that constantly. But the highest year i've played at is 30 so that probably is why its so fast. So I was wondering how does df run for everyone else and what are your pc specs? Mine are:
Gpu: evga gtx 670 ftw with 4gb of vram
Cpu: I think its the intel i5 3570k, 3.4ghz - 3.8ghz
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Hdd: Seagate Barracuda 500Gb

Is it just the Cpu that determines the speed of DF other than the small amount of work that the gpu does? Does having alot of ram help keep the game running in the later years? Since so much is being tracked. Could we get some kind of cuda/opencl thing going with the gpu to help with proccesing data?
What do you guys think?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: What speed do you run Df at?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:29:36 pm »

I tend to set my FPS cap to 500 and then just let it wind down as I get more dwarves. (Unless I'm testing something, in which case I switch it to 5000).

Mac Lion laptop
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

As for the CPU thing, there have been many threads and the basic two things that were determined to be the most important were CPU commands-per-second (not cycles, commands) with at least 2 cores, and having a fast RAM retrieval rate. Other factors were also shown to have small effects, but those two things were the largest.

As for whether or not you could write something that helps with the processing data, that is only truly known to Toady, but my answer would be that I sincerely doubt it. The topic has been pretty heavily discussed before in several threads, some of them going way more in-depth into the programming ideas then most non-programmers could follow (and even deeper then some programmers can go), so if you look around a little bit you can dig up pages and pages of discussion on the topic.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:00:40 pm »

I have 91 dwarves (capped out), with 5000 capped FPS and 100 capped GPS, but I actually run at around 100 FPS and 30-50 GPS depending on what I am doing and looking at.

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz (water-cooled)
GPU [this doesn't change much; DF doesn't use your GPU, at least not that I see]: GeForce GTX 470
RAM: 6 GB tri-channel Corsair RAM

I think that the biggest factor for my computer is the tri-channel RAM allows for better movement of information on and off the processor.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:25:29 pm »

I set it at 1000 FPS and I get 500-1000 until I have about 30 trolls/dwarves/saiyans/whatever.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 05:58:29 am »

Am I onlyone to leave FPS to 100 and put my GFPS to 20 here?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 06:05:56 am »

I never touch the default settings (for FPSes, at least, I tend to up the popcap and do some other more cosmetic things), so I'm half with you.

aoxoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 10:29:03 am »

I usually have it at the default 100, but in Lazy Newb Pack I put it to 120 so my dwarves go faster now. But thats it. Ive no clue what this 5000 thing is that someone is speaking of, but that seems a bit high if its the graphical FPS.

But yeah so far on my current better comp so far at 145 dwarves no drop in FPS at all. Unfortuantly that would was so boring I restarted. (Not a single ambush, siege and the ores/etc were really lame).

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:00:28 am »

Am I onlyone to leave FPS to 100 and put my GFPS to 20 here?

Nope, i do that too, though sometimes i put the gfps to 15 when the fortress is getting TOO populated.
(that and doing sure-fire ways to gain back some FPS without screwing over gameplay by changing weather/temp.)
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 12:56:00 pm »

On that topic, what do the two numbers mean? If there where a way to make time pass by a little quicker that would be great!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 02:13:21 pm »

In DF, the two numbers (if turned on) are shown at the top of the screen like this: ####(###)

The first set is the frame rate (FPS), that being how fast the game is currently being processed.
Spoiler: from the init.txt (click to show/hide)

The second number inside the parenthesis is the refresh rate (or GFPS rate), dictating what the rate of the screen refreshes at per-second. Higher numbers means that the game screen is being refreshed faster, allowing you to see more steps.
Spoiler: from the init.txt (click to show/hide)

High FPS with high refresh means higher movement, faster time. If you set your FPS high and your refresh low, you can get "time-warps", where time is passing a lot faster than the game is showing.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 05:19:23 pm »

I tend to set my FPS cap to 500 and then just let it wind down as I get more dwarves. (Unless I'm testing something, in which case I switch it to 5000).

Mac Lion laptop
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

As for the CPU thing, there have been many threads and the basic two things that were determined to be the most important were CPU commands-per-second (not cycles, commands) with at least 2 cores, and having a fast RAM retrieval rate. Other factors were also shown to have small effects, but those two things were the largest.

As for whether or not you could write something that helps with the processing data, that is only truly known to Toady, but my answer would be that I sincerely doubt it. The topic has been pretty heavily discussed before in several threads, some of them going way more in-depth into the programming ideas then most non-programmers could follow (and even deeper then some programmers can go), so if you look around a little bit you can dig up pages and pages of discussion on the topic.
ok. Why 2 cores what are the two things that df uses. Because can't it only use as many cores as its threaded to use? I'm wondering what the average df player can run the game at. There are probably alot of people who have old pc's and I was wondering if more have fast or slow pc's. I just built mine in August so it can run it fine on mine. But anyways... i don't know I'm just full of questions.  ;D

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 05:23:44 pm »

DF uses two cores, with the second using graphics (basically: not a big deal).

RAM speed is the most important thing in determining performance.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 05:36:24 pm »

DF uses two cores, with the second using graphics (basically: not a big deal).

RAM speed is the most important thing in determining performance.
ok. So you know how you can set the number of tiles within the tile to have on your local area on the embark screen. Does using all the tiles in the main tile affect speed much? Also, has there been any research on how much ram df can use and things like that?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 05:49:52 pm »

If you are talking a 16x16 fort as compared to a 3x3 or a 4x4? Then yes, you will experience massive slowdowns. With each additional tile's worth of area that you add you have more stuff and a much bigger area to pathfind around in, thus relating in rather large slowdowns.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 06:11:28 pm »

If you are talking a 16x16 fort as compared to a 3x3 or a 4x4? Then yes, you will experience massive slowdowns. With each additional tile's worth of area that you add you have more stuff and a much bigger area to pathfind around in, thus relating in rather large slowdowns.
Ok thanks everyone. I guess ill just try it myself to see the speeds.
Pages: [1] 2