Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trying to visualize z-levels...  (Read 3112 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Trying to visualize z-levels...
« on: September 06, 2012, 04:43:39 pm »

...is giving me a headache.

Trying to think of them as being 1 dorf unit tall, (~5ft I figure), and my fortress is a little hobbit hole in the side of a small, rolling hill.
Trying to think of them as being a somewhat tall ceiling, (10ft), and my fortress is a small outpost in the side of a small hill.
Trying to think of them as being able to accommodate a full-grown dragon, and my fort has decent fortifications, my 5-unit wide entrance is a grand hall, and I've built into the side of a small mountain.

I'm not even going to mention quantum piles.

Might I ask, what is the intended z-level proportion? or x or y for that matter.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to visualize z-levels...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:53:49 pm »

We don't know Toady One hasn't decided yet.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 05:04:18 pm »

One Urist
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 05:05:31 pm »

I think the scale is highly based on the lengths you want to go to in order to justify things like Bronze Collosi wandering into the front door that you dug in less than a day. So, a z-level could plausibly be anywhere from a single dwarf height to several floors high.

It'll probably make more sense if Toady gets the time to implement multi-z-level tall creatures and trees, though.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:16:51 pm »

I assume every z-level is infinitely high, but every creature is infinitely tall. Lying down makes them infinity minus one in height, allowing an infinite number of lying down creatures to occupy a space two standing ones could not.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:19:43 pm »

I'm getting the feeling I'm living in a hobbit hole with comical defenses...damn.

I think I understand why people build on flat plains now.

Deus, while technically correct, that definition is why visualization gives me a headache.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 05:29:33 pm »

I assume every z-level is infinitely high, but every creature is infinitely tall. Lying down makes them infinity minus one in height, allowing an infinite number of lying down creatures to occupy a space two standing ones could not.

"Infinity mins one" is a meaningless concept. You should imagine larger and smaller infinities instead, it's much simpler.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 05:37:31 pm »

Actually, he decided they were 3m tall when he was working on the minecart physics: post from Toady

This doesn't make things like bronze colossi in your fort any more sensible, but the physics make some sense anyway.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 05:45:37 pm »

A square is a quantum anomaly, changing depending on what you want. I think that's the magic of it.

If you have nothing in it, the square is a simple 3x3x3 meter square. But once that square is defined, it becomes a quantum anomaly: being able to hold a near infinite pile of objects, creatures, and things. It all depends on how you visualize it. Same concept for fire imps not being able to burn wood cages or colossi not being able to break out of glass terrariums.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

dominusnovus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:54:11 pm »

Its obvious that the supposedly larger creatures are simply incredibly dense, but not larger.  Like Melmacians, they don't grow larger, they grow denser.  Problem solved.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:19:07 pm »

I think it's worth pointing out here that all creatures in Dwarf Fortress are basically Spherical Cows.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 06:57:12 pm »

~10 feet or thereabouts is a good approximation for a single level in a building. As far as how wide a tile is, I think ~5 feet is a good approximation. This means a doorway is ~5 feet wide, including door frame and part of the attaching wall. This is also a big enough space where you can put a piece of furniture there without completely blocking off walking through that area. And standard workshop is 15x15 feet, which seems like a decent sized workshop, with enough space for tools and space to work in.

I use ~10 feet as my ballpark figure for how tall each level is. This also includes overhead space, and space for ceiling decorations such as engravings.

For important rooms, such as throne rooms or great halls the ceiling may be 40-50 feet in the air. These can be huge, very open and very spacious rooms with pillars made of either engraved natural stone, or of precious metals. Nothing quite says bling as having a throne room full of massive solid gold pillars.

As far as huge creatures, such as a dragon or bronze colossus fitting in a single tile, well, just try not to think about it too hard.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 07:04:05 pm »

Actually, he decided they were 3m tall when he was working on the minecart physics: post from Toady

This doesn't make things like bronze colossi in your fort any more sensible, but the physics make some sense anyway.

Well I'll be damned, that answers my original question quite well. My thanks kind sir.

still living in a hillock though..

Its obvious that the supposedly larger creatures are simply incredibly dense, but not larger.  Like Melmacians, they don't grow larger, they grow denser.  Problem solved.
In a universe with magic and dragons, that does solve it, doesn't it?
Badges of honor

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 07:08:05 pm »

Sure it does. Your dwarves are dwarves. If a bronze colossus is 9m tall to fit into your door, it's still three times your height. Colossal!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 07:20:50 pm »

The only problem I have with this is that the DF raws specifically define creatures by volume (cubic centimeters, to be exact). This of course, does make it an absolute pain when trying to implement a real creature and all of your size references are in weight instead. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2