Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: World of Darkness Online  (Read 6105 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: World of Darkness Online
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2012, 11:25:25 pm »

The best part about a game like this is that CCP don't have to build the most stellar game content to get their playerbase. I'm sure with the right design they could really just set this going like EVE and watch the Players make a clusterfuck of fantastic proportions. As an ex-WoD LARPer I am intrigued by the possibilities.

I'm both intrigued and terrified. Especially the bit about Princes possibly being able to perma-kill your character. The possibilities for intrigue and dickery are immense.
That what I love about them the crap people do in EVE is Amazing it reminds me of Fallout Online and the freedom it has.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, 06:31:06 am »

Arise thread.

So CCP have released more info on the tightly kept world of darkness mmo this is still very much under development now with a team of 70 guys working on it, as far as I can tell they have a working game but ofcourse in very very early stages. Also we are looking at a end of 2014 beta maybe ?

I'm really looking forward to this so long as the jyhad is done well then that's all that matters
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2013, 02:04:53 am »

Is it odd that the illustrations in http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/27/eve-fanfest-world-of-darkness-target-footage-shows-hunting-parties-and-parkour/ make me want to play even more?

I'm already a fan of WoD and EvE, so count me among those really looking forward to this when I haven't been interested in MMOs for a few years.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 12:12:52 am »

If this actually ends up good I'll join when werewolves are in.
Is my avatar sexy?

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2013, 12:00:52 pm »

I've been all over this once it was hinted at way back, now I'm almost ready to be all over this anew.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2013, 12:38:24 am »

I might play this if I can scrounge up the money for a new computer and a subscription by the time it comes out. I didn't hear much about this game until a week or two ago as I'm kind of new to the World of Darkness franchise but it's quickly become one that I enjoy very much so I would be interested in playing the MMO if it was affordable and I could make a Clan Malkavian character, or maybe Clan Nosferatu or Clan Tremere.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 02:08:19 pm »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/14/final-death-world-of-darkness-mmo-cancelled/

Disappointed? Absolutely. Surprised? Not at all. There was always something fishy about how they'd talk about the game but never had anything to show. Can't really blame them though. Creating a workable, fun MMO out of what WoD is about is tough in and of itself.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/14/final-death-world-of-darkness-mmo-cancelled/

Disappointed? Absolutely. Surprised? Not at all. There was always something fishy about how they'd talk about the game but never had anything to show. Can't really blame them though. Creating a workable, fun MMO out of what WoD is about is tough in and of itself.

I am also not surprised.  But these days, you could truncate that last sentence to:

Creating a workable, fun MMO out of what WoD is about is tough in and of itself.

Mumorpergers are a tough space to do business in now, even without accounting for WoW's 800 pound shadow cast over everything.

I can't even work out how they would keep the game from being All Griefing, All The Time between the vampires and werewolves, even without a day-night cycle.  If anyone could pull it off, I'd have bet upon CCP.

I guess it doesn't help that White Wolf didn't give them a stable foundation.  Each new major addition seemed to trump the last, as if to say "buy this book or your characters will no longer be the masters of the universe, and will suck forever!!!"  (at least with old WoD; dunno about reboot stuff)  I can remember a few friends with absurd anecdotes about WoD games, and it didn't seem like they were trying to break the game that hard...  just going by what was front-and-center in the books.

Maybe they at least developed some good code that can be used for other things?  Hopefully?
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2014, 02:52:42 pm »

nWoD is very, very modular, basically if you (as GM) don't headcanon a book, none of the stuff within exists. And ALL THE RACES AT ONCE mashups are mechanically blocked.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2014, 03:00:05 pm »

a bit sad, but maybe the goal to make it am mmo was a bit too high there?

it could have been a pretty good sandbox-y single player game though where they create the setting of the world, town, districts, story and lore etc and then you get thrown in there and can do what you want. a bit like how i.e. X³ does just throws you in a universe, or the freedom a la saints row 3, gta or the elder scrolls games oblivion and skyrim.

maybe you start as human and randomly get turned and then you decide to protect the other humans from evil sect groups or you make friends with npcs and make your own clan and own a district... or even rise up in ranks up to the leader of one of the big clans organizing your clan members and negotiating with the other clans. (organization as how some mafia games did it years ago. looking at you gangsters organized crime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangsters:_Organized_Crime))

of course all sorts of quests and story lines could have been there too like back in vampire the masquerade. you could either follow them or not and do what you want. with a touch of replay-ability and random events, so each play through might be kind of unique (rougelike-y, ftl?). maybe one playthough you manage and organize a clan, the other you follow storylines and events, and another you might be kind of a mercenary for the clans fighting wherever someone needs you.

new storylines, npcs and town districts could be added with dlc or from the community (i.e. how "neverwinter online" does it, or how mod able oblivion and skyrim are)

(i guess i mix together way too many ideas of other games there :D, but looking at i.e. saints row3 its not that they didnt throw ridiculously much into there. (minigames, story, freeworld))

oh well maybe someday in the future we will get a new great vampire game. (its not like they cant continue working on "it"/"something (a singleplayer game?)with the WoD world" in some years.)
the idea of WoD online was a pretty unique one though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]