Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: World of Darkness Online  (Read 6116 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: World of Darkness Online
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 03:07:28 pm »

Damn it let's organise a world of darkness game!

i would love to do table top masqurade over the internet, maybe we should try and organize it i would have tried to GM but i dont have much time these days :(

also swimmer you really not adding anything if your not interested dont post
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 03:08:05 pm »

Vampires will be the only supernatural player characters

Look developers I know this may be a bit of a surprise to you... but Vampire isn't the only player supernatural in World of Darkness

Why didn't they just name this "World of Darkness: Vampire" or something?

Ohh wait I know... to bait and switch people who are comming into this expecting to play their favorite mages, changelings, werewolves, or golem.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 03:13:12 pm »

In other words: Dwarf Fortress jokes ad nauseam may seem to be how the upper forums operate, but down here they tend to get on people's nerves very quickly. Especially when they have fuck all to do with the topic.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 03:33:30 pm »

Goddam my post didn't go through.
My main concern is how they are going to handle things like diablerie and stabs in the heart+cutting off heads and the like.Yes i know this game will probably include other parts but if they can't do the part i am interested in meh :P.I heard of the other ones but i never had any chance to play em.
Edit:Sorry for the grammar mistakes,dark as hell over here.Me being partly blind won't help
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:54:25 pm by Xeron »

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 03:47:43 pm »

Damn it let's organise a world of darkness game!

Now that i know the general mindset of a WoD enthusiast, im inclined to do exactly that.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 03:53:14 pm »

This might be good, CCP have not made a bad game yet.....well they have only made Eve, and DUST 514 but I've got high hopes for this as long as the vampires don't sparkle in the sun.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 05:22:35 pm »

Hey, i didn't mind. It may have been an oblique comment of praise to CCP's plex system for all i know, or pointing out things world of darkness does right if not, or both. Swimmer, fell free to post, and you know as well as i do that one instance isn't equivalent to the general mindset.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 05:48:14 pm »

While the world of darkness is a pretty interesting setting and CCP doesn't really fuck around with its stuff, I'm afraid this will end up attracing a fair ammount of otherkin and overly serious roleplayers who will make the whole social roleplaying and gameplay aspect insufferably corny with stereotypical vampire personalities and bickering. Playing MUD/MUSHes across the internet sort of got me a very bad view of online roleplaying.

I'm certain the game will be fine though, like someone else in the thread already said, CCP hasn't actualy made a bad game yet.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 05:50:58 pm »

I'm certain the game will be fine though, like someone else in the thread already said, CCP hasn't actualy made a bad game yet.

Yeah, I actually know almost nothing about World of Darkness.  I mostly am interested because CCP made a pretty non-standard MMO (EVE) which I respect, and I like fantasy in modern times settings.

I think there is tons of room for them to screw it up for me though, so I'm not really getting my hopes up.  The moment I see "spend real money to purchase more city influence"(or something) I'm out!  :P 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:53:02 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 05:55:23 pm »

I think the role players will add to the game so long as its not over the top, and I'm glad CCP is doing this game, going from what they have done with eve it should be very in depth and very open.

And to the other statement I'm not sure but I think CCP will be adding other supernatural races once they have the main vampires in place. But hey we can play the game as human

and to the other post there won't be any of that pay to win, CCP have said for a prince to keep his domain ( a prince in in charge of a city ) he will need a backing of alot of Player characters to help him keep his domain

Also I never said swimmer should not post, but not post stuff which does not contribute to the thread, if we wanted to talk about dwarf fortress we would go to the upper forums what Nejin said

"In other words: Dwarf Fortress jokes ad nauseam may seem to be how the upper forums operate, but down here they tend to get on people's nerves very quickly. Especially when they have fuck all to do with the topic."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 06:00:00 pm »

CCP's fine in my book.  They handled EVE pretty well, with a flat subscription rate to disuade "pay to win" but also included the "buy game time with game money" that enables a rather unique balance.  On the one hand, you can pay cash for credits and you can buy a ship that would be beyond your means.  On the other hand, only the real noobs sell game time, they're generally not the big players.  The big players are the ones who sell game cash to buy game time, and chances are their ships and their skills are good enough that they can roflstomp the cash player anyways.  So it strikes a unique balance of "the 'pay to win' is supported and at the same time put down by veteran players".  Not to mention EVE's rather handy security numbering system that allows smooth PVE or PVP or whatever floats your boat.

So yeah, as far as companies go, I'm excited about something they'd make.  If Blizzard put out a new MMO I wouldn't give two shits.  But CCP is one that catches my (large and fluffy) ear.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 06:04:05 pm »

and to the other post there won't be any of that pay to win

Famous last words! 

I don't REALLY think there will be any Pay to win either, but even the hint of it makes me not want to play.   I've got a vague memory of CCP pulling some shenanigans in EVE by letting people buy ammo with real money, but I don't remember the details so I could be wrong. 

If there are any microtransactions at all other than maybe purchase of purely cosmetic items, I'm definitely not going to bother with the game.  It probably won't be an issue though.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 06:11:16 pm »

CCP have never done micro transactions, as girl said you were able to buy pled card to sell on the market place to make in game money but it was not a necessity.

And I really doubt CCP will do it this time around even more so with characters Facing perma death, it would just piss people off that rich kids killed their character for ever just because they have lots of cash lieing around

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 06:12:53 pm »

Hope so!  All we can do is find out I suppose.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 06:15:51 pm »

Yeah, the Plex could be sold for maybe $30 mil when I played last, or maybe something like $40 mil.  That's enough to get your feet under you, buy a nice cruiser or whatever ship and some gear to match.  But that cruiser is nothing compared to a properly kited battleship, and battleships with the proper kites would sell in the billions.  So it's like, yeah, you could pay for a boost, but a noob could make up the difference in a few days, and an experienced miner could haul the rocks in an hour or two if they're smart.  So it was far from game-breaking, it just provided a small boost to casual businessmen with enough money to spare, and provided a convenient way for long-time players to not spend actual cash.

EVE doesn't even let you buy cosmetics though, which I think is nice.  Subscription games really do better than allowing everyone to float around with neon green hair and flashing disco blades.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4