Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Awesome teachers you had  (Read 1023 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Awesome teachers you had
« on: September 06, 2012, 12:27:35 pm »

Nearly everybody in B12 is probs in middle school or college or even past that.
So yeah, i guess everybody had at least one mildy crazy/awesome teacher.
As i guess these stories can probably be slightly amusing i decided to make this thread.

I so far had two awesome/crazy teachers.

1. My drawing teacher. He was a little bit abnormal, but an incredibly nice guy and good teacher. He always said that my things were good, even when i knew they werent good, as i cant really draw for shit.

One day, he was going to explain something, we were drawing bugs from pictures, so he cut the form of wings out of transparent paper for somebody so she/he could draw it correctly, he had them on his desk, and he put them on a pen.

Teacher: "Whats this?"
Random kid: "A dragonfly!"
Teacher: "No, its a piece of paper in the form of wings on a pen"
Me: "Ceci n'est pas une pipe?"
*teacher starts telling stuff about René Magritte*
A while later:
Teacher: "Alright, what was i going to explain again?"

God i loved that teacher.

2. Just today, a teacher i havent had before, he's a nice guy and funny, used sauce on fries as a methapor for politeness.

Teacher: (to me) "If you go get some fries, what sauce do you like on them?"
I was quite surprised, as i'm usually the silent one and i dont really like to be the center of attention.
Me: "I usually get mayonaise or ketchup..."
Teacher: "Do you like your fries without sauce on them too?"

And the conversation continued for a few questions.

Now, tell me your awesome conversations with your teachers.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome teachers you had
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 12:33:07 pm »

I've had lots of awesome teachers, so it's hard to just pick one or two. I'll have to go with my World History teacher from high school, though. He taught me to think. Taught me to look beyond my own nose and decide things for myself rather than trusting other people to do that for me. He's the reason I'm a vegetarian (though he never advocated that; I decided that for myself), the reason I'm a radical liberal hippie, and the reason I value people over most anything else. I used to have some bullshit productivist ideas until he came along and showed me the human side of the equation in political and economic matters.

The first 3-4 months of his class I came away, every day, with a headache and a boatload of cognitive dissonance to resolve. And I can't thank him enough for that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:46:24 pm »

Most of my awesome teachers were in high school.

My French teacher was good-teacher-awesome. Pretty much all of her homework assignments demanded that we use creative art skills to show that we got the concepts and terms down. She was really nice as well, offering after-school tutoring to anyone who was struggling and making sure that everyone had their chances to shine. I was in her classes for three years, but now I barely remember any French and I feel ashamed about that  :-\

My U.S. history teacher, on the other hand, was crazy-awesome. He was a die-hard Republican and proud of it, something unusual in my mostly-progressive school. He showed us JibJab videos in class. He had a sort of maul/club, made from half a yard stick with a bunch of broken rulers taped to one end. He would whack the desks of students who fell asleep with it. He was also the basketball team's coach, and so was frequently wearing school jerseys and stuff like that. Even if you didn't agree with his politics, you looked forward to his class because you never knew what he might do next.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:48:27 pm »

My best were my Psychology/Bible History/AP European History teacher (hence why I had so many classes with him) and my Debate teacher.

The former was a highly intelligent and generally efficient individual who was easily the best teacher in my school, which was not short on good teachers. I consider him a both a teacher and a friend. It wasn't about standardized testing, it was actually about learning.

The latter was just plain awesome, never held himself above us, and worked as a high school English teacher and single-handedly created our school's debate program despite having a doctorate. This was sadly shut down due to county regulations because it functions on an aggregate of all the school's debate programs, and the others weren't good. He wasn't interested in sticking around after they basically killed his program and I think he's trying to be hired at a college now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 04:05:12 pm »

Unfortunately I can't remember any names, but I guess that hardly matters here.

High school:
My Chemistry teacher. At some point she just gave up on us all and we ended up going on nature walks rather than focusing on chemistry. These nature walks were somewhat inspiring and somehow I actually ended up coming out of it with a decent knowledge and interest in chemistry... for a high school class at least... can't say anything about my classmates though.

College: Politics teacher, focused on latin america, but had several more broadly reaching classes. He was considered by most to be a tough teacher you didn't want to deal with if you could avoid it, but I took three of his classes. The first one was tough... but by the end I'd figured out what he expected from us and the next two weren't as bad, just required a lot more reading than I was used to from classes. As a side note he probably taught me more about writing good papers than any one other person. Although I still won't say my writing is any good. Primarily though, he taught me to look at the world from different view points. People often decry that one side or the other is wrong but often, people will think they're right just because of the way they see the picture. I can't say I do this all the time, I know I forget to... but everyone should try, at least, to remember that everyone's view point is theirs for a reason. They see things one way or another because of things they've been shown, things they've experienced. No one person can see the entire picture of something and even if a view point doesn't agree with yours, or make sense given what you know, perhaps you can at least try to understand why they think the way they do.

College: Japanese Culture/Ancient history(sorta) classes: Same teacher, two vastly different classes, and yet... I really really liked him. He exposed us to things we never would have seen on our own. Movies like Ikiru and Tampopo. Descriptions of cultures entirely alien to us that made sense when (again) looked at from the right angle. One day even breaking into a rant after the entire class failed to do the assigned reading, that just laid into the entire educational system for promoting students to simply get a piece of paper in order to get a job rather than actually learn and study things. (There was more, it was nearly an hour of ranting, I've just forgotten some details.) He used religious scriptures as a historical teaching tool, showing us the cultures that influenced their writing and grew from them. The classes were relatively open and freeform and if anyone wanted to discuss something specific, he had no qualms about spending a class or two on it, but he had his own goals and I never felt like we missed them because of these sidetracks.

College: Drawing: I took this on a whim, I just needed one more class for graduation and I'd filled all my requirements up, it was just 3 credits I could have done anything with and partially because it was one of the few open spots left and because I thought it'd be somewhat easy to pass. (I also had a couple of stressful classes that semester, I was looking for something somewhat stress free... heh...) To be honest, I'd never thought I'd ever be able to draw anything half way decently, but that class proved me wrong. I'd not consider myself good, and I'd need a lot more practice to get to that point, but I surprised myself at drawing even recognizable drawings of complicated objects. The teacher was good... and while I still don't agree with everything she said... (One quote that still sticks out in my mind, "Art isn't about what you like." When I used one technique a few times in a row, she tried to get me to change up and I mentioned I liked doing it that way. Now, I admit, I needed to try new things, but there's nothing wrong with liking the way something looks and wanting to do more of it.)

Anyway, I ended up spending more energy on that class than any of the others that semester... but I also had the most fun and probably met more interesting people in there than any other class I'd taken... It did slightly piss me off that nearly half the class were already accomplished artists... but that happens everywhere... German class I took was 1/4 German speakers already.

College: Astronomy: Another elective class, but this man could make anything sound like the most interesting thing in the world, and the way he connected all of science together by explaining (in a very Carl Sagan way) that we were born from the stars and we'll return to them some day. While I love Astronomy, I don't get all that much pleasure from just looking at stars... he still stirred in me a suppressed love for science that remains with me to this day. (High school had mostly pushed me to think that I'd never accomplish anything scientific without amazing math skills, which mine are somewhat lacking. He encouraged us to just go ahead and learn and let things fall into place rather than having to build up the pyramid of knowledge with a heavy, annoying and unwieldy base of math before we could look at anything else. No offense to math lovers, it's just not my thing.)

I will note, except for the politics teacher, none of this actually had to do with my selected field of study. I'm not sure if I chose poorly or just ended up with the best teachers outside my field of study.
I'm still not sure I learned all that much in college, but I definitely had a few very good and very memorable experiences which did change the way I looked at a lot of stuff and I think in some ways, that's more important than textbook knowledge.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:32:20 pm »

I had a pretty awesome math teacher back in the day.

He had been teaching at the school for decades, and he attended as a student, so he was filled with an enormous array of stories about what had happened in the past. It's surprising how much the school can change in a decade, and as a student I normally would never have heard about all the amazing things that happened in the past, and I was shocked at how such significant events could be forgotten by almost everyone in just a few years. It was hearing all these stories that inspired me to leave a legacy of my own, and I'm very proud of what I achieved.

He had plenty of stories about himself, though. The classic one dates back to when he was a young man, not too long after he first started teaching at the school. He had two main hobbies that he pursued during the holidays: motorcycling around southeast asia, and hang gliding. One summer, he went on a hang gliding trip as part of a large group in the Himalayas that lasted several weeks. During this trip, a german man unfortunately died. However, the body was misidentified, and the school got told that the math teacher had died. They immediately sent out a notice to all the students and families, started recruiting a replacement, and held a memorial service for him. This was back before there was any sort of easy communication over such long distances, so my teacher had no idea that this had happened. In the end, he came back to the school and only found out about the mix up when he pitched up on the term planning day for staff a few days before term started.

Also, he taught maths, which automatically puts on in the top tier of awesome teachers.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 04:35:07 pm »

My first English teacher was pretty neat. He'd keep telling us about stuff like Saun of the Dead, HHGTTG, called the s that you find in 3rd person singular verbs the "fucking S" because that's what students called it when they forgot it in tests and made some neat movies with the students. He also apparently got put in a girls' dorm during university since his name was Percy. Heh.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:36:48 pm by Darvi »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 04:38:51 pm »

The IB English teacher I had through all four years of high school was pretty cool. He could do dozens of accents very well, was only 7-8 years older than us, and did damn near everything as discussion in Socratic seminar where he would sit back and silently take notes for the entire class period while we debated and examined whatever we had been reading. Our rare lectures tended to be on unrelated tangents that were invariably interesting, and during the spring months we spent quite a few classes outside reading in a grassy courtyard.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:42:02 pm »

You know the video of a woman giving birth they make you watch as a part of Biology? My teacher rewound the video afterwards in full view of the class.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 04:58:22 pm »

Let's see

Junior High

7th and 8th grade Science teacher
   He was a former army medic with a couple stories from that time such as how he was a roommate with a guy who pranked their superior by putting sodium and water in a soup can by his windowsill, or the time he shot one of his teammates in lasertag training for giving away their position. Had a tradition of blowing up pumpkins and watermelons around halloween and the end of the school year respectively.

7th and 8th grade Media Teacher
   Was just a really cool teacher with a good sense of humor.

8th grade Social Studies teacher
   He had lived through most of the stuff he was teaching so he had a ton of stories from those time periods, along with stories about his parents during WW2.

High School

Freshman Year Algebra 2 teacher
   He was in charge of wrestling team and head of the math department and as a result was so buff that he couldn't touch his shoulders. Was ridiculously quirky and had a donut obsession, but despised sprinkles because of an encounter with a niece of his who was in the kitchen just picking sprinkles off a donut one by one and eating them which he found incredibly disgusting. He also had a Tim Taylor esque approach to things when he was home according to him he once tried disposing of leaves by burning them and wound up setting his fence on fire and once installed a  zip-line in his backyrad and didn't realize he had forgot to install brakes in it until he daughter had already grabbed onto it.

Freshman Year Biology teacher
   Was very cool in general.

Freshmen Year Substitute English teacher
   Was brought in when teacher was on maternity leave. The whole class loved for how chill he was. Brought in a poem he wrote in college about Mario to read to use. Is also currently my AP English teacher.

Sophomore Year Chemistry teacher
   Extremely enthusiastic woman. Was constantly showing use demos she had learned at science teacher conventions. She had a massive obsession with moles and was on the uh I think it was the State's National Mole Day committee? (Don't know if its the State or full size committee). Good friends with someone who works at Fermilab and would email him questions that we asked. She also met Bill Nye once. Apparently gained a pyrotechnics license over the summer this year.

Junior Year

AP US History Teacher
   She's very funny and good at teaching. "You know what I would be overjoyed to see from the Republican Convention? I would love for Romney to go up and say, "Our forefathers came to this country for the purpose of getting vary rich!" Also she commandeers unused rooms for us whenever her classroom overheats.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Eurynomos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:14:38 pm »

I had an 8th grade math teacher who was really funny. Everyone who had him loved him. To top it off, he was great at teaching. I got down everything he taught. According to the people I knew, they understood everything too. He also let everyone have their own nickname, something that made him unique among the teachers.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 08:26:41 pm »

Jeez, I generally just hated my teachers on principle. :-\
I do remember having a female teacher in first grade named Miss Loose. Sadly I was too young to get the funny.

I had a couple of okay teachers over the years, I guess, but ehh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 09:36:52 pm »

I do remember having a female teacher in first grade named Miss Loose. Sadly I was too young to get the funny.
Yeah, I guess you might not have seen this. DOHOHO

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 03:15:39 am »

Mrs. Rynearson (or however you spell that) she was my highschool english and my gradeschool english before that...
She always dressed like she didnt give a shit, and acted essentricly, we got along well, she was awsome even though she never did much interesting things besides teach, I was just to busy being asleep.
And Mr. Brown, whom had a voice so monotone it made me drowsie to hear him talk at length, had him for history in gradeschool and I dont know shit about history because of it, and english language arts (whatever the fuck that is) in highschool.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 04:50:32 am »

Yeah, I guess you might not have seen this. DOHOHO
One of our geography teachers had a name that was pronounced "you suck". Ayup.
Pages: [1] 2