Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding Z level  (Read 1433 times)

Nashnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Regarding Z level
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:49:37 am »

Am new to dwarf fortress and was enjoying the game till I heard about cave-ins and now I don't want to dig another block till I have clarified the following
1. If I dig 5 sq. blocks through 10 levels. It would create a pit, right ? So if i want to have various levels in my fortress I am supposed to create a level and then create another leaving at least one z lvl in between, right? Like Lvl 1 at z-150 and lvl 2 at z-152 or do I have it wrong?

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Z level
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:02:39 am »

When you dig out a block, you leave behind a 'floor'. In other words, you can dig every z-level and you'll still have floors between them. If you want to remove a floor, you can designate it for channeling.
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:11 am »

Not quite. If you let your dwarves dig, they remove enough rock for them to live in, but each level always has a floor.

If you want a pit, you have to channel (d-h), which will remove the floor of the current level.

Cave-ins occur, if a piece of rock has it's connection to the surrounding rock or floor removed. Connections can be artificial (built). A one tile piece could hold an entire level.

Also:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cave-in

Ninjas everywhere ... ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:08:51 am by Laurin »

Nashnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:30:01 am »

I have read the wiki but am having a hard time understanding what disconnected means.

As long as I have a floor or build anything on a floor there won't be a cave-in to the lower levels right ? This my first time playing a game with such graphics so there is a little problem with my imagination running wild with theories.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:35:37 am by Nashnir »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 10:38:59 am »

I have read the wiki but am having a hard time understanding what disconnected means.

As long as I have a floor or build anything on a floor there won't be a cave-in to the lower levels right ? This my first time playing a game with such graphics so there is a little problem with my imagination running wild with theories.
"Disconnected" means "floating in mid-air" - not attached to any existing floor, wall, or ceiling. Dwarf Fortress will allow you to place a skyscraper on the end of a swimming pool's diving board, but if you cut the diving board in half, the building will come crashing down.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nashnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 10:40:43 am »

Thanks a lot.
I was keeping on wondering how one would build something in midair and completely forgot that one can remove the connection later.

Now I get back to building my fortress and get my dwarves killed.