Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Gnomoria engine...future graphics of the fortress?  (Read 34133 times)

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gnomoria engine...future graphics of the fortress?
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:09:03 am »

Sorry but I have to ask.  :P

Is there the will to give dwarf fortress a graphic engine (possibly?) similar to the one of Gnomoria? To me It seems just perfect.
What is the problem? Toady doesn't want it, or It would be too costly, or there will be technical problems in the "future of the fortress"?
You know..he could even do a kickstarter for It, and I'm pretty sure It would surpass his expectations A LOT.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PS: and just to be clear, I LOVE this game and I love Toady. In the same way I'd love to see the project go further, though.
Regarding the time or money problematics, that's why I suggested a kickstarter. It hasn't to be Toady the one working on the graphic engine, he could easily hire someone he trusts to do the work (hence the kickstarter objective)
You know as well as me he could set up a very large amount of money and still reach it. There would be no problems even trying to do so and failing.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:08:03 am by Gatallorsith »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria engine...future graphics of the fortress?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:11:01 am »

Have you looked up Stonesense?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 06:30:55 am »

Why don't you go play A Game of Dwarves, and we'll stick with Dwarf Fortress?  :o

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:50:55 am »

It's not just about money or time or effort. It's all of those things combined. If Toady was to focus on graphics he'd be unable to dedicate time, money and effort to anything else. By ignoring graphics, he has been able to create a game so complex that people with genius level IQs rage quit on a regular basis. But they always come back for more. I don't know anybody that has played that other game for longer than a couple months.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 06:58:37 am »

Why don't you go play A Game of Dwarves, and we'll stick with Dwarf Fortress?  :o

Because it's not buyable yet?  ???

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:11:53 am »

Why? because DF uses a true top down view, not an isometric one.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:49:22 am »

Because it's not buyable yet?  ???

You most definitely can buy it. Granted you're paying money for something incomplete. And it's also likely that it'll never be completed. But it has isometric graphics!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:49:38 am »

Well, to answer your question: Yes, there is the will to improve the interface (which might include some sort of graphics), but we don't know when or how that will happen. The problem is that you can't display the level of detail in DF graphically and that updating the graphics takes a lot of time as long as you still improve the game. As an example, look at Slaves to Armok I - it had 3D graphics, but they really slowed the development, so it didn't really go anywhere.

And a kickstarter isn't really necessary since Bay12's business model of "We make games and you can give us money if you want" works pretty well as it is. Toady and Threetoe don't really care about money as long as they can continue making the game.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 10:47:34 am »

Processing power spent on graphics can't be used to do the math, eg. run the actual game. Even if you utilize the gpu as much as you can, it all has to pass through the same set of wires sooner or later.

Simple graphics is one of the reasons DF can simulate stuff like ecosystems and materials.
Most DF clones cut down on both simulation depth and gameplay to allow for improved graphics.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 11:53:02 am »

I say DF would lose its charm if we went to non-tile based (especially the ASCII!) graphics. Tens of thousands of people play it anyway! I'd call DF successful as it is!

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 12:01:43 pm »

I use Ironhand's graphics set, and I think that's about as good as it needs to get, and it already slows me down sooner than playing with the vanilla look. Given a choice between all the simulation aspects and better graphics, graphics lose.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 12:30:20 pm »

I say DF would lose its charm if we went to non-tile based (especially the ASCII!) graphics. Tens of thousands of people play it anyway! I'd call DF successful as it is!
What about 3d models of various ASCII glyphs? :P

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 12:36:47 pm »

It's not just about money or time or effort. It's all of those things combined. If Toady was to focus on graphics he'd be unable to dedicate time, money and effort to anything else. By ignoring graphics, he has been able to create a game so complex that people with genius level IQs rage quit on a regular basis. But they always come back for more. I don't know anybody that has played that other game for longer than a couple months.
Well, to answer your question: Yes, there is the will to improve the interface (which might include some sort of graphics), but we don't know when or how that will happen. The problem is that you can't display the level of detail in DF graphically and that updating the graphics takes a lot of time as long as you still improve the game. As an example, look at Slaves to Armok I - it had 3D graphics, but they really slowed the development, so it didn't really go anywhere.

And a kickstarter isn't really necessary since Bay12's business model of "We make games and you can give us money if you want" works pretty well as it is. Toady and Threetoe don't really care about money as long as they can continue making the game.
Thx for the anwers.
Tbh I'm not so sure It will slow down development in any sensible way with the actual state of the game.
Regarding the time or money problematics, that's why I suggested a kickstarter. It hasn't to be Toady the one working on the graphic engine, he could easily hire someone he trusts to do the work (hence the kickstarter objective)
You know as well as me he could set up a very large amount of money and still reach it. There would be no problems even trying to do so and failing.
Processing power spent on graphics can't be used to do the math, eg. run the actual game. Even if you utilize the gpu as much as you can, it all has to pass through the same set of wires sooner or later.

Simple graphics is one of the reasons DF can simulate stuff like ecosystems and materials.
Most DF clones cut down on both simulation depth and gameplay to allow for improved graphics.
First of all in the actual state of the game there's A LOT of potential optimization. And when I say a lot I mean there's none..not to mention unnecessary (at present) whole parts of the game (don't ask, I'll not talk about them here)
Tbh Idk how much cpu intensive graphics like the one of gnomoria can be, but I'm totally sure DF CAN be incredibly better than its actual state in that regard (if needed)

PS: and just to be clear, I LOVE this game and I love Toady. In the same way I'd love to see the project go further, though.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:47:42 pm by Gatallorsith »

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 01:26:39 pm »

I agree on the optimization bit, but any bit of freed up resources should go into Operation FPS Death
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 01:44:53 pm »

Thx for the anwers.
Tbh I'm not so sure It will slow down development in any sensible way with the actual state of the game.
Sure, Toady could get tons of money, but if that was his goal, graphics and interface would have been improved years ago. He and Threetoe just want to make a game that they can play without getting bored of it. Making money was more like a convenient side effect, and they get enough to keep going.

But before everybody starts repeating arguments that always get mentioned in this type of threads, I'll quote what Toady said about releasing an API (which basically means that the players get to do the graphics):
Spoiler: huge Toady quote (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7