Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Devlogs from 2050  (Read 46292 times)

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Devlogs from 2050
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2012, 02:23:05 pm »

- For balance reasons, it is now easier to to refine fissionable materials. Reactor-grade uranium in saves generated before the current patch will be replaced with weapons-grade uranium. It is recommended that any players currently operating a fission reactor generate a new world.

- The chance for random beneficial gene mutations caused by radiation exposure has been reduced. Vermin who are exposed to radiation should no longer evolve significantly faster than normal.

- Fixed the rate of protein decay for creatures killed and fossilized during world gen. Cloning of long-extinct creatures is now only possible with either divine assistance or favorable ice cap conditions, as intended.

- Opposable thumbs are now required for cloned creatures to operate doors with handles. Containing Velociraptors should now be much easier.

- Atmospheric ram pressure should no longer produce unrealistically large amounts of plasma.

- The chemical processes used to enable dragons (and randomly generated creatures) to breath fire have been reverted to the previous magical system. Dragons should no longer violently combust when they receive lung wounds.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:25:19 pm by Pyro627 »
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2012, 05:31:09 pm »

While scanning through the Urist AI logs, I noted an infinite error loop. Seemingly, the AI had broken in to the Planetary Intelligence Agency's database, and found out that PIA employees had been playing Dwarf Fortress, 80% of their break-time. This in itself was nothing peculiar, and should in itself not cause an error loop like that. The thing is, the AI justly argued, that since whenever any person in the world plays Dwarf Fortess, it knows of it, yet it did not know about the PIA employees playing, until it hacked into their database, either
A) the PIA have devised a way to circumvent DF's quantum hive network, or
B) The database it hacked into was not actually from this dimension, and a parallel universe has become entangled with ours.
It quickly convinced itself that option A was out of the question, since it had calculated very carefully, that the resources it allowed to be allocated to PIA, would never even begin to make it possible for them to achieve such a feat.
So remained only option B, which caused the infinite error loop. For, even though Urist AI recently found a way to ignore Gödel's incompleteness, and grasp the entire universe, another universe is still a bit too much. Perhaps I should start thinking about multithreading after all.
I need to consult with Toady-One 17 about this.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:31:53 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2012, 06:02:50 am »

I want what you're smoking  ;D

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2012, 12:39:15 am »

If all the items you have all occupy the same space, they would either form a singularity and almost instantly disappear due to hawking radiation, or they would just start moving things toward it, while not making a singularity, but it would make it the center of the Earth or something similar...

- Well, in theory, if you put all the materials in an embark in the same spot, the resulting singularity would be massive enough (on par with a big mountain) to acrete mass faster than it'd loose it to Hawkings Radiation, which would result in a microscopic black hole bouncing around the planet's interior and causing Earthquakes all over the place before eventually swallowing up the entire planet.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2012, 04:04:43 am »

If all the items you have all occupy the same space, they would either form a singularity and almost instantly disappear due to hawking radiation, or they would just start moving things toward it, while not making a singularity, but it would make it the center of the Earth or something similar...

- Well, in theory, if you put all the materials in an embark in the same spot, the resulting singularity would be massive enough (on par with a big mountain) to acrete mass faster than it'd loose it to Hawkings Radiation, which would result in a microscopic black hole bouncing around the planet's interior and causing Earthquakes all over the place before eventually swallowing up the entire planet.
Well, that sounds hopeful.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2012, 08:16:09 am »

Ahem. I know I started it, but...

*Dwarves will now properly react to situations where they will die no matter what they do, specifically by insanity.

(One release layer:)

*Fixed a bug where after playing a few fortresses in a world everyone would go insane on embark.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

sudgy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2012, 04:35:04 pm »

I remember hearing that for a black hole to be around long enough to not instantly disappear, it needed to have the mass of at least the sun...

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #202 on: October 28, 2012, 04:08:52 pm »

The november 2050 report is up.

yea i know, not a single donation got to me. dwaf fortress has been giving me trouble, a month ago i tried to fix the common bug where it acceses the internet. I have not gotten a single donation since. im not saying anything about how im gonna fix the buug. luckily it still dont understand grammer errors. misspellings. slang and sacasum.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »

Due to popular demand, the bug that caused dwarves to have the wrong amount of body parts has officially been made into a feature.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2012, 07:36:24 pm »

Ahem. I know I started it, but...

*Dwarves will now properly react to situations where they will die no matter what they do, specifically by insanity.

(One release layer:)

*Fixed a bug where after playing a few fortresses in a world everyone would go insane on embark.

Brilliant.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2013, 08:18:14 am »

-Any aliens that arrive at your fortress should no longer look like dwarves in rubber suits.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2013, 04:04:08 pm »

5/12/50:  Finished work on the dwarf model. It's been a while since I worked in a 3d suite, so that's what's been taking so long. This makes all the major races replaced by 3d entities with full animation for each action, but most animals and monsters don't have one yet so the 1.5iso should be the most recent update for a while yet.

I also fixed an odd bug with the Goblin sprite that caused the physics engine to exaggerate the forces involved when the creature gets struck while moving its arm in the same direction as the cutting force. Goblins should no longer have limbs fly off into the horizon if you hit them right. I left some of the bug in though, as I know you guys loved that one. They'll fly to one edge of the room, but shouldn't bust down walls any more and cause fortresses to crumble.

With the increased prevalence of trolls on the forums after the isometric update, I think I'll finally hire some moderators. I'll pick from the old pool, as they proved the can handle authority during the FGG incident, though I'm sure many of the new folk could handle it too I really don't want to take any risks.

~Toady One

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 03, 2013, 04:06:12 pm »

* Chance of permanent underground coal seam fires in autonomously-controlled forts reduced.  Previous chance was accidentally set too high, resulting in extensive global flooding during world generation.

* Global flooding should now properly track extant icecap levels.  Icecap levels may now be modified in the advanced settings for world generation, for those players who enjoy drowning the world or want a challenge in global cooling.

* Naturally-occurring fission reactors modified to take into account new fluid pressure system.  Accidentally breaching a fission reaction chamber should no longer automatically result in a supercritical event, absent intentional player design. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:07:52 pm by Culise »

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 03, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »

*In other news, it seems that I accidentally made it so that firebreathing is a recessive gene in all animals.

*It seems that there is also a bug in cancer, where that it instantly kills any dwarf that gets it.

*Suffocation is now a real problem, so remember to vent off your fortresses and keep your sewer system away from your ventilation system.

*Added 15 new types of bacteria. Some are syndrome causing, so make sure that you keep sick dwarves away from other dwarves!
Unf.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2013, 05:22:57 am »

* Undid the bugfix for the pre-prepared bug added simultaneously retroactively 40 years and 6 months ago. I need to fix those bugs later.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18