Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Babysnatcher  (Read 2039 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Babysnatcher
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:59:23 pm »

If you give dwarfs babysnatcher or play as a modded race that has them, does that mean you'll get snatched babies of other races that immigrate to your fort?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Babysnatcher
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:18:43 pm »

I've heard that you'll only get migrants of your own race, but mod dwarves to snatch babies and breed slowly and test it!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:35:31 pm »

The babysnatcher tag makes your race an evil one, so you should trade with gobbos and be at constant annoyance states with humans and elves, the reverse of normal.
But I don't think you will get other races in your fort, but I've never played it out long enough to verify that.

... sounds like it's time for some !!+<<=SCIENCE=>>+!! to be enacted!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:49:57 pm »

My modded orc race are babysnatchers, in a fair number of games I've never gotten an other-race migrant.  One of the nobles of the kingdom in current game is a Drow though.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 10:55:11 pm »

My modded orc race are babysnatchers, in a fair number of games I've never gotten an other-race migrant.  One of the nobles of the kingdom in current game is a Drow though.

hmm... have you tried playing as the dwarves, letting your babies get snatched, and then playing as the babysnatching civilization?
You might not be getting them because DF calculates babysnatching differently before and after world-gen, just a thought.
The Derail Thread

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:11:47 pm »

If i'm in that position I'll keep an eye out for it :)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 11:29:30 pm »

With a long history, nobles will have a high chance to be non-dwarves, but that only means the monarch in fort mode. Presumably, there are different race checks for them than for common migrants.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:38:31 am »

Yeah, I think the monarch may be the only one that's allowed to be another race in fort mode.

Never had one myself, but I do remember reading someone's story of an elf king they got. Given that this was the most badass, dwarfy elf ever, who was apparently half insane and killed a lot of elves himself at some point...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:15:26 am »

in my orc (babysnatcher) game, the foreign noble is not the monarch; she's the general, iirc.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 12:39:20 pm »

in my orc (babysnatcher) game, the foreign noble is not the monarch; she's the general, iirc.
Cases of foriegn race nobles in not from babysnatching, it's from normal migration during world gen, sometimes a few people want to go live with a different race, sometimes they become nobles. Thats why in legends wars, you will sometimes see something like a side with 80 humans and 1 dwarf, that dwarf just decided to go live with humans, and this will happen will evil civs as well, goblins will live with non-goblins and vice versa. Babysnatching and taking prisoners during world gen DO have thier own effects, but this will happen naturally as well.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:16:58 pm »

Baby snatched people can have their children become nobles or even replace the original race. Same with those conquered by war. There was once a report of humans replacing dwarves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 11:13:42 pm »

Yep, the problem here is that all nobles come from real history, so they can be anything, while common migrants are mostly generated on the fly.

I hoped with the introduction of migrants with families and history it would change, but apparently it's still too straightforward/hardcoded for now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository