Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How deep is the majority of your fortress?  (Read 3304 times)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How deep is the majority of your fortress?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 12:09:38 pm »

I build the entire thing just above the magma sea, with channels so that everybody can see the holy blood of armok.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 12:46:05 pm »

If I'm going for the magma sea then I like the "skyscraper" design of 11x11 rooms stacked all the way down. :)

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 01:33:57 pm »

My stockpiles go in the soil layers, with the depot on the lowest surface z-level. Everything else goes in the stone layers.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 02:08:04 pm »

Depot, barracks, and trap corridors in one of the first stone layers under the ice/soil. Farms in soil or first cavern. Living area, dining room and workshops between surface and first cavern. Only the magma forges are below that, if there's any- oh, how I would like to see ventilation becoming an engineering concern.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 02:13:25 pm »

I tend to dig mine as shallow as possible for trading purposes. Everyone is close by the stocks, but not close enough to be irritated in thier sleep. Ensures speedy hauling of copious amounts of shit. Also puts distance between my dorfs and the FBs in the caverns and give them somewhere they can run if the goblins somehow manage to get in.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 02:23:51 pm »

I never build anything but farms in soil levels, so if I'm embarking on a site with dirt, my first proper floor is always on the first stone level. Each floor generally has two wings, either North and South or East and West, depending on the site.

1st Floor:
North - Military Wing
South - Food Production Wing (With upward staircase poking into dirt layers for farming. For security reasons, this is separate from central shaft.)
2nd Floor:
North - Social Wing (dining hall, statue gardens, etc.)
South - Administration Wing (Offices, often the Hospital)
3rd Floor:
North - Stone/Wood Crafts Wing (Workshops + Storage)
South - Cloth Crafts Wing
4th Floor:
North - Metalworking Wing
South - Misc. Crafting Wing (Soap-related stuff and whatever else.)
5th Floor:
North - Mausoleum Wing
South - Animal Pens
6th Floor:
North - High-end Housing (5x5ish rooms, priority furniture)
South - Low-end Housing (Much smaller rooms, bed+door until pretty late in game.)
7th Floor:
North and South - Low-end Housing.

After that, I add floors as needed. If I'm not on a volcano map to begin with, the metalworking wing is of course eventually relocated to deeper levels. I'm always looking to try out new design paradigms, though, so I'm interested in a flatter layout.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:28:32 pm by Moonshadow101 »

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 04:34:11 pm »

Well, let's see.  In a fully developed fort?

Topside: Entryway, possibly archer tower(s), walled and roofed surface farms.  Surface plants are soooo easy.

Soil layer: I try to skip the -1 layer, and if possible -2 as well, because of WET STONE interrupts.  If either of those are sand, however, and I have no sand elsewhere, then I make one of those the sand collection zone (doesn't take much).  Underground farms and a section for butcher shops, tanner shops, stills, kitchens, and milling.  And fish dissection.  All food industry exists here, right next to my farms. 

Additionally, next to the butcher shops, a mine cart sitting on a single tile track stop, set to dump north.  North happens to be a hole leading to magma.  The mine cart takes from a refuse stockpile immediately surrounding it.  This sets all rotten food, corpses, and body parts (except for bone) to be immediately incinerated. 

Next to the stills: a quantum pile containing nothing but green glass pots.  From the wiki:  "Large pots are currently 2.5 times as heavy as barrels made from the same material, and they have double the capacity."  Next to the farmers workshops and milling stones: a quantum stockpile containing nothing but barrels and bags.  For flour and syrup, naturally.

Also one layer above this (if possible), a very large stockpile for any and all food items: meat, eggs, tallow, plants, milk... basically anything NOT a prepared meal or a glass pot of booze.  Stairs up/down to this stockpile immediately next to the kitchens.

Also on this layer, if I am able: an underground river, re-directed from the topside.  Used for fishing of course, runs off the map at the edge.  Usually has a drain leading to fall on two statues set into a wall, and then two wells, such that mist is generated but the only path for the water to fall into is via the wells.  Below the wells is a cistern, when that fills up there's a corridor that runs the excess off the map.

The rest I purposefully mine out for trees/plants.

Shops and Hall Level, usually the second hard-rock layer I hit (the first being set aside for plumbing).  Dining hall, several BIG well decorated rooms for booze just off the hall, and one medium sized prepared food stockpile which borrows from a much bigger overflow pile.  All booze should be in glass pots, all full pots should be stored in these rooms.  The hall that connects the Meeting Hall to the shops contains the stairwell, and also you must pass by the wells and misters.

The shops consist of five or six quantum piles for raw materials, one for plain furniture and goods, one for masterwork metal furniture-goods-armor-weapons, and one for less than masterwork (this gets melted now and again).  Near each of these are the appropriate workshop.  All of these are surrounded by walls on three sides, just in case I need to segregate a dwarf and lock him/her in.

The layer directly below this is usually magma (if I've finished the pump stack or piston) and the cistern.  Also a quick corridor to a pit to dump prisoners into the:

Military level: Archery ranges, two lanes of ten targets.  On the other side, training for the melee dwarfs.  On the north side: the arena and landing zone for goblins.  On the south side: the hospital, UNLESS I have successfully re-routed the river, in which case it is moved up to a VAN by the RIVER.

After that I leave about 5-8 levels for mining, if there's anything useful in there, and then lay down the bedrooms.  Underneath the bedrooms, nobles rooms.  Nobles get a small booze stockpile on their level.  The rest underneath those, is usually just stairs and magma pumps, and exploratory mining.

I breach the caverns but immediately wall off access; anything I need except for spider silk can be picked up from my farm level.  Only on rare occasions do I venture out into them, I'm super paranoid about syndromes and keeping FB goo and blood and dust off my main population, as such I have to engineer elaborate baths and decontamination rooms.

Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 04:35:31 pm »

I tend to segregate by levels, but not by any extreme amount.  I dedicate one or two floors for housing, one for food prep and dining, one for the hospital and barracks, and one or two for workshops.

There's little reason to dig 30+ levels in most forts, unless you're just aiming to hit the caverns..
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 02:47:17 am »

Farms just below the surface, then 5-10 empty levels, depot, workshops one level below depot, regular forges below workshops, necropolis below forges, 5-10 empty levels, commons, nobles quartier below commons, and finally magma forges on top of the magma sea.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 03:20:00 am »

Most maps tend to have aquifers, and my fortress usually starts below that, if I can quickly breach it. I don't farm so I do not need the soil layers.
I usually use all of the stone from my fortress to build above ground towers and other constructions, so after a few years I slowly start to move into the above ground fortress, the abandoned fortress below is then used for catacombs, storage of prisoners etc. Most of my fortresses don't last that long though.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 06:06:48 am »

It depends, but usually its a bunch of stuff in the top 10 layers and then a looooong staircase all the way down to the nearest Magma where i plonk my magma-forges.

Might make a project of making an UnderFort one day.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 06:25:07 am »

I'll generally use Z-1 (which varies, across-map, if it's not a flat plane) for farming (both subterranean crops and, by opening the ceiling, overground ones), place walls at ground level (and higher) to protect 'my territory', along with ditches (of possibly multiple-Z depth, but accounted for already for in how I will place underground cavities of my own) set my initial storage and workshops (which probably stay there, but can be moved if there's a decent reason) within the first few sub-Z levels.

I look for a nice stone (e.g. marble) to dig my bedroom blocks out of, thus also acting as a quarry.  Thus it generally depends on where I might find that stone, and I also like fitting them in-between cavern layers (I quite often change worldgen to make it 25 default layers between each cavern (and cavern-like, i.e. magma) layer, rather than 5, for plenty of uninterrupted room), but is very often below the first cavern layer.  I also go right to the bottom for a magma-workshop layer (usually topmost found magma layer +1, with a magmaduct beneath that leading into the topmost magma layer), generally having the ore and metal stockpiles surrounding and/or above them.  Depending on geological conditions.  If there's a magma-pipe, I might bring this industry up to alongside the top of this, however, in whatever form works best with my overall design.

Other things (especially multi-Z excavations) are subject to whatever whims of construction and excavation the current fort is working under.  And I also spread wide, and like a very regular form of digging.

Although it's an old (and, so far, my only) upload, http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10796-castledales gives a general feel, I suppose.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 08:40:41 am »

I don't farm so I do not need the soil layers.

You... don't farm?  Really?
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 08:42:10 am »

Farming is quite unnecessary if you mine out a few soil layers, breach the caverns, and train a few legendary herbalists. But this requires a little more micromanagement (designating the plants to be gathered) compared with simple plump helmet farming.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 08:43:21 am »

I don't farm so I do not need the soil layers.

You... don't farm?  Really?

Obviously his dwarves must kill everything they eat, like true dorfs.

And he probably imports all his booze :P

Farming is quite unnecessary if you mine out a few soil layers, breach the caverns, and train a few legendary herbalists.

Also this. Let nature provide! it's a hell of alot less labor intensive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3