Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I always cut gems?  (Read 2490 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Should I always cut gems?
« on: September 05, 2012, 05:52:49 pm »

Any reason not to?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should I always cut gems?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 05:56:23 pm »

You should keep some uncut for moods.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 05:59:57 pm »

Yeah, I did that to myself.  Just after the gem cutter finished cutting the last raw gem, he got a mood and demanded uncut gems.  I had to put a spear in his head since I didn't have any more gems to dig out, and my broker took a nap for the entire time the caravan was at the depot.

(yeah, he went berserk on me, so I put him down like Ol' Yeller.)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 06:05:18 pm »

Ok, thanks.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:08:43 pm »

Personally I fulfill cut gem requests with cut gold nuggets when possible. No, seriously, you can do that. Quoth the wiki, "Stones, including the various types of clay, can also be cut into gems." Raw ore counts as a stone, it's really useful for kicking the value up a few notches and leaves the actual uncut gems for the uncut gem requests. (You can also make 'uncut gems' by way of making raw glass, and cut the raw glass to make cut gems. And as mentioned in the thing I quoted you can make cut gems out of clay boulders.)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:40:42 pm »

I never cut rock crystals, just so I can make crystal glass... but gems seem to be overly common with the amount of digging I do
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:18:06 am »

my broker took a nap for the entire time the caravan was at the depot.

You can toggle an option at the Depot to let other dwarves besides the broker do the trading, useful for situations like that.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 12:59:59 am »

Seriously, gems are nearly everywhere, unless you have set mineals to very rare in world generation. How can you not have any gems to dig out?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:32:16 am »

my broker took a nap for the entire time the caravan was at the depot.

You can toggle an option at the Depot to let other dwarves besides the broker do the trading, useful for situations like that.
I could have, but I fully expected him to finish his slacking long before the caravan left, so I was willing to wait "... just a bit more".  As it was, spring rolled around before he finally talked to the liaison (it was the Dwarf Caravan for that year). In fact, the elven caravan arrived just as the liaison was leaving. ;( 
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 08:35:44 am »

Seriously, gems are nearly everywhere, unless you have set mineals to very rare in world generation. How can you not have any gems to dig out?

Not everyone tends to hollow out the entire embark site.  :P

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:42:19 am »

Not everyone tends to hollow out the entire embark site.  :P
This.  I had dug (and cut) all exposed surface gems, and didn't have the patience to randomly dig for others or risk dwarves to get the few below water level in the river.  Of course, right after putting down the crazy crafter I struck some gemstones while digging new bedrooms ...