Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Structure maps  (Read 408 times)

navpirx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Structure maps
« on: September 05, 2012, 05:17:33 pm »

I am a new Dwarf Fortress player, somewhat overwhelmed by all the possibilities and only dabbling in the Adventure Mode so far. Since I didn't want to shamble around blindly all the time, my attention turned to the Legends Mode, which, I hoped, would help me pick my targets. Then I found a tool called LegendsViewer. However, I'm still not entirely satisfied. My question - is there any way to get a map of catacombs or sewers, short of exploring them yourself and drawing a map on paper? In Legends Mode, you can only do that for towns and hamlets.

And by the way, how does respawning work in such places, exactly? I've been to the same catacombs four times now, using four different adventures, and found the hostile NPCs within respawned every time, on the exact same squares, and even having the same professions. Do respawned NPCs retain their names as well (it would be funny to carry around three severed heads of the same person)? And will their chieftain respawn as well if I kill him as well, even if he's probably a historical figure?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Structure maps
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 05:27:30 pm »

Currently I don't believe there is any way to get a map of the underground.

As for rep awning, I know for certain that any historical figures that are killed stay dead forever.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Structure maps
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:05:13 am »

There are no specific maps. If you really wanted to see a dungeon in its entirety, you could use the embark anywhere tool to embark on top of the keep. I haven't tried it, but it might be revealed when you arrive. It's probably not worth the effort.

And respawning is a bug. Important historical figures (like quest targets) seem to stay dead forever, and I've only seen it work in cities and fortresses, not camps. And, yes, they keep their names. I've had a few clones in my group of companions because soldiers that join you will respawn, too.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.