Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Role Playing Your Fort  (Read 2260 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Role Playing Your Fort
« on: September 05, 2012, 04:29:19 pm »

How often/far do you role play withing the fort?  This can be like a farmer's or survivalist or one dwarf fort, or something like building 'bathrooms' or trying to play as if DF was real and you had to pay respect to their concerns (i.e. digging into water is bad, discilpline and austerity is bad, luxery for all, work days, whogas, like if DF was a democracy and you HAD to keep their fragile temperments in mind.  Say it was Americans or Europeans or Africans or w.e. instead of digital dwarves).

Got curious.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:40:27 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Re: Role Playing Your Fort
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:38:03 pm »

I try to set thing up nice, like if I were in the fortress as a dwarf would I want to live there

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 05:14:41 pm »

I don't "roleplay", but I do follow some dwarves around, checking their history and who their are and all that. My military has seen battles before they arrived at my fort, and those with many kills earn the title "Hero". I make sure all the dwarves have large enough rooms (none of that 1x3 room "efficiency" things). I do try to treat all my dwarves with respect.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 05:38:05 pm »

I get most of my enjoyment out of DF by roleplaying with it actually.

That includes community forts obviously, but even forts I keep to myself I like to RP the scenario.  As an example, my current fort is a highly militarized fort under the pretense that it's supposed to be a sort of front line defense against the evils of the world (it's modded, so no goblins, but you get the idea).  I've tried to set up a realistic command structure, starting with my expedition leader / major, to captains of the three companies, their lieutenants, sergeants and ultimately privates.  Dwarves are stupid though, so it doesn't work that way, but it's fun to imagine it does.

In my community fortress I played it up as a mining town, where I set challenges upon myself to export lots of iron and steel.  There were also relatively few attacks because I only had the equivalent of badger men around, which made deaths and injuries more dramatic.  In a community fort where I was a player, I picked a soldier who migrated with only her daughter (her husband was MIA and presumed dead, .31.25), who died several years later when she tried to defeat a forgotten beast alone to defend her honor.  Lots of potential there, which I milked a bit too much perhaps.

DF gives lots of opportunities for interesting stories like this.  You can make almost anything out of the various associations between a fort's citizens as you want.  From them losing friends and family to doing things like killing a baby snatcher 1-tile away from the map edge or opening a floodgate during an experiment and drowning a lot of people, there is pretty enormous story telling potential.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 05:42:51 pm »

I don't remember where I heard it, but I think Toady said that he got the inspiration for DF because he wanted a game that would write stories. As my best friend (who doesn't have enough time to wrap his head around all of DF), he claims it to be the worlds greatest story-tellers: able to generate thousands of characters, each with individual stories, likes, dislikes, quests, times and possessions among so many other things.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 06:12:21 pm »

I occasionally drink beer while playing...   :P
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 06:36:36 am »

Every game. every game. from a newly elected mayor wandering far away from the fort to hold a meeting with the liason in snow to waging a war against the gobbos and defence plans. it made so much fun to rp a conspiracy robbing the mayor of his post due to incompetence

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:35:47 am »

Tho I don't enjoy roleplaying, i do enjoy !achievements!
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:21:51 am »

I enjoy making up weird religious events. High priests, novices being closed into a monastery as soon as they walk, etc. One fort in particular was really messed up: if something went wrong, the gods had to be appeased by sacrifing a virgin dwarf. Eventually the populace rose up against the Temple of Shedim, killing people who they think might be temple spies. After the Great Purge, only the High Priest remained :D.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »

I loved the idea someone else posted somewhere of role playing a group of bandits.

Bring 7 military dwarves, no below ground constructions, can build walls etc, but not too far up, put the "expedition leader" on the top level of the fort, is just keep it one level and beat the shit out of anything which comes close.

How many extras you add is upto you, i'd suggest a cook and butcher, not a lot more than that. Possibly animal trainer/trapper, or even a metalsmith if you wish to have a blacksmith, just imagine a group of bandits and what they would do, It's a fairly interesting way to play.

Clearly the main aim is to ambush all trade caravans which come (including/excluding the dwarves, or even migrants) and steal all their stuff.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 03:50:36 pm »

I loved the idea someone else posted somewhere of role playing a group of bandits.

Bring 7 military dwarves, no below ground constructions, can build walls etc, but not too far up, put the "expedition leader" on the top level of the fort, is just keep it one level and beat the shit out of anything which comes close.

How many extras you add is upto you, i'd suggest a cook and butcher, not a lot more than that. Possibly animal trainer/trapper, or even a metalsmith if you wish to have a blacksmith, just imagine a group of bandits and what they would do, It's a fairly interesting way to play.

Clearly the main aim is to ambush all trade caravans which come (including/excluding the dwarves, or even migrants) and steal all their stuff.

And survive the impending sieges? Will the dwarves continue to trade if you ambush them?

Ah sweet, you could totally embark by a road...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 04:33:04 pm »

As long as you keep your population down you wouldn't have to worry about goblin sieges at least, although it would be pretty bad if the other civs started sieging you.  Supposedly your own civ will never send sieges, no matter how badly you mistreat them.

Ambushes would be fun to deal with early on.  If you only have the starting 7 + mandatory 2 migrant waves that gives you a pretty decent sized bandit camp, but losing many at all would be painful.  Still, if all of the non woodcutters and hunters are armed and armored, you could probably deal with surprisingly large threats.  Especially as a handful of your best troops slowly work up toward legendary.

That actually sounds like a pretty fun thing to try.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 05:53:56 pm »

As long as you keep your population down you wouldn't have to worry about goblin sieges at least, although it would be pretty bad if the other civs started sieging you.  Supposedly your own civ will never send sieges, no matter how badly you mistreat them.

Ambushes would be fun to deal with early on.  If you only have the starting 7 + mandatory 2 migrant waves that gives you a pretty decent sized bandit camp, but losing many at all would be painful.  Still, if all of the non woodcutters and hunters are armed and armored, you could probably deal with surprisingly large threats.  Especially as a handful of your best troops slowly work up toward legendary.

That actually sounds like a pretty fun thing to try.

Mod for human race as playable civ. I would so be in for a community "fortress" like that.