Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bear Breeding  (Read 5555 times)

Bobble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bear Breeding
« on: September 05, 2012, 03:14:19 pm »

I've gotten a couple of black bears and I'm breeding them.  However, every so often they forget their training and go back to being wild.  I can't cage them or they won't breed.  I have them on restraints but I'm stuck when they go wild 'cause their offspring are wild (and running free in Downtown Bronzegate).  I built a bunch of cage traps around the restraint and then release them hoping to get them back into a cage for "re-education" but they waltz right across my cage traps.  Then some random planter has to fight for his life and gets all cranky-pants about it.  How do I breed these beasts without losing unnecessary lives and limbs?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bear Breeding
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:29:24 pm »

Chain the cubs too. Then hope they revert to semi-wild and get re-trained before they grow up- child creatures being trained end up Domestic.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:31:43 pm »

Get more animal trainers. The more trainers, the higher chance of keeping animals under control. The children need to be trained because as previous poster said: trained children grow up to be tamed. They then inherit the mother's trained status, which means that a tame mother breeds tame children.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Bobble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:35:48 pm »

I'm hoping there's a better way.  Once the mother goes wild, there's no getting her back then?  Kill her off and hope the next generation learns from her mistakes?

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:53:22 pm »

I'm hoping there's a better way.  Once the mother goes wild, there's no getting her back then?  Kill her off and hope the next generation learns from her mistakes?
Since you wild animals have to be caged (I think) in order to be trained and you can't assign wild animals to cages you have to trap them again.

Chain the mother in a room with a cage trap near the enterence. When the mother reverts you can just release her and let her chase your  little dorflings to the cagetrap. Then you can just rebuild the cage and start all over again. Not completely perfect but should be pretty safe.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:55:09 pm »

Usually I leave them in the cages until my trainers get "general familiarity" with that animal, then I let out any that are trained (not semi-wild).  That works well for me, almost none of my animals revert.  Don't forget to mark the children to be trained too, they will start at the mother's training level at the time of birth, and can then be trained all the way to "(tame)".  But, if you ignore their training, they will start reverting.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 07:15:23 pm »

How do I breed these beasts without losing unnecessary lives and limbs?
More animal trainers with fewer other jobs. If your animals are *trained* or better then you can have distracted trainers as it takes a while for the training to rust. You could also use DT to find what it thinks are the best dwarves for the job, which should give better training even at Dabbling level.

Alternatively, make Animal Training a job that everybody does. Odds are somebody's going to be free at some point.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:03:38 pm »

Catch the cubs in a wild state and train them. You can get them to be permanently tame if you train them as children.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 09:58:03 pm »

Don't reverted critters retain their trap immune status?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 10:11:13 pm »

Don't reverted critters retain their trap immune status?
Yes.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 12:35:54 am »

I can't cage them or they won't breed.

This is not strictly true.  A caged bear can neither impregnate nor be impregnated.  However, a bear caged after being impregnated will eventually give birth.  So train your caged wild bears, put them in restraints for awhile and let them get ursine, then re-cage them before they go feral.  Your trainers can then retrain them with impunity and they will eventually give birth to tame young.

Theoretically.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 02:46:14 am »

This sounds to me like a much simpler problem than everyone is assuming, or rather like it *was* a much simpler problem than everyone's assuming. Getting them back into cages once they fully revert to wild is going to be iffy.

However, if they reverted to wild in the first place, that suggests nobody went to reinforce their training. It could be that as people here suggested you just never had anyone who wasn't really busy. It could also be that you didn't designate an animal training zone. Initial taming of the animal is done in the cage at the stockpile. Reinforcing that taming is done outside the cage in an animal training zone, designated the same way as a garbage dump, pond, meeting area or other zone. If you don't have one designated then every adult animal you ever tame will revert given time.

Dharma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 09:09:31 am »

Caged animals are retrained only after reverting to wild state. Probably, same goes for chained animals - just release them! Trainers will most probably retrain them before they turn wild.
(looking forward for ensuing fun)

Bobble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 09:37:06 am »

You're telling me that they'll ONLY be retrained BEFORE going wild if they're free, not in cages or restraints?  Are we sure about that?  Doesn't seem to make sense.

Just to clear it up a little for everyone who's trying to help me out.  Here is what I've seen and what I conclude from it.

- Wild bears on restraints aren't available for training.  They have to be in cages.

- Bears who have reverted to wild from trained ignore cage traps.

Meanwhile, I'll turn on animal training for more dwarfs and see if any of them are doing interim, maintenance training to keep animals from going wild. 

Bobble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 09:48:01 am »

One more thing:  If a bear is (Tame), I'm good to go, right?  It's only when they're (*Trained*) that I have to worry about them possibly going rogue.  Correct?
Pages: [1] 2