Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How's this for a 1st migration wave...  (Read 2169 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How's this for a 1st migration wave...
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:08:37 pm »

Five dwarves just arrived at my new fort; four adults and a child:

1. 28-year-old dwarven child; Legendary Bonecarver, Proficient Grower, Talented in a number of social skills - probably going to be mayor.
2. Level 4 Woodburner - Level 8 Axedwarf as well
3. Level 5 Mason - but also Level 10 Clothesmaker and Legendary Armorsmith (woot!); also Level 6 Hammerdwarf
4. Level 5 Bowyer - but also a Legendary Hammerdwarf and Level 3 Teacher
5. Level 2 Presser - but also Level 10 Marksdwarf and Level 2 Hammerdwarf

Nice to know that making armor will start off well once the forges are up.  And to make things more enjoyable the first five stone layers of the fortress are sedimentary chalk interlaced with veins of lignite and hematite.  Closest I have seen to Insta-Steel in an embark yet.

This, to a large extent, is the payoff of running two previous forts in this same region and dwarf civilization.  The adults are definitely migrants out of those previous forts where I was running heavy military training.  And the marksdwarf is out of a squad I started cross-training in hammer to help their melee and shield use abilities.  The child with the odd age is probably from the 1st fort and obviously did a artifact sometime during that fort's run.

It does put the fort's military defense on a firm footing assuming I can get them equipped properly in a timely manner.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How's this for a 1st migration wave...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:33:54 pm »

Some people have all the luck. ::) The most I can ever expect is a great [profession] in my first two years if I'm lucky, but then I tend to end my forts by world deletion rather than any other way. The things I could do with legendaries in my first waves...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:35:55 pm by LumberingOaf »

sigefread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 02:52:28 pm »

I dont think that child is going to be mayor... If im not mistaken only adults can be nobles and children turn to adults at 16... Think it may be a vampire.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 02:55:25 pm »

I dont think that child is going to be mayor... If im not mistaken only adults can be nobles and children turn to adults at 16... Think it may be a vampire.

Potentially. There would have to be some checking before any confirmations.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:14:29 pm »

That kid is a vampire. There is a bug or something that sometimes causes vamps to remain children longer. Normaly, a kid grows into an adult at 12. S'ya
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:27:43 pm »

That kid is a vampire. There is a bug or something that sometimes causes vamps to remain children longer. Normaly, a kid grows into an adult at 12. S'ya

Probably. Let's see if he turns into an adult at spring, drinks, and chooses a bedroom.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 03:29:51 pm »

Vampires don't age, by the standard myth. I wouldn't say its a bug.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 04:22:59 pm »

Its a bug related to the fact that the outside world does not change. It is not a sure indicator that he is a vampire, but he still could be, and that would have a separate cause.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 05:16:07 pm »

I have had a similar bug a few times. The adult "child" usually matures into an adult when the year changes. Something to do with worldgen migrants perhaps?

I don't think that I have ever gotten a legendary weapon user. Impressive.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

sigefread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 05:17:57 pm »

Worst comes to worse he is a vamp you can just assign him to be the only person in a squad and have his supernatural toughness and strength protect the fort...

Or you could just lock him away in a small room so if your fort ever gets wiped out all you have to do is wait for a migration wave.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 05:27:10 pm »

Check his thoughts constantly.
If he doesnt have any thoughts on food, drink or sleep in a few weeks, youve got yourself a vampire.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 05:30:44 pm »

Keep him as a mascot.  Put him in a pit and feed him Gobos
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 05:37:52 pm »

Or potash makers
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 05:42:36 pm »

Or potash makers

Nobles!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 05:44:24 pm »

I saw a thread recently about a guy who's mayor was a vampire. He sealed the vamp up in a room for a while. You could set up an elaborate airlock system to feed it goblins and the like.
Pages: [1] 2